Target age for The Rithmatist

Hi All, I was hoping someone here can give me some direction on the target age audience for The Rithmatist (I've never read it).

For context, I'm contemplating reading the book to 3 of my kids, the youngest of which is 9. The piece I'm worried is about is any sort of romantic subplot. If there is any romantic subplot more than something like Alcatraz the 9 year old is going to groan and run away. I already shelved the Skyward series for that reason.

There is a romantic subplot, but the two characters act more like chums than romantic interests. Rithmatist is one of my favorite books, I think you'll be fine.

21 hours ago, Wayne's Pickle said:

Hi All, I was hoping someone here can give me some direction on the target age audience for The Rithmatist (I've never read it).

For context, I'm contemplating reading the book to 3 of my kids, the youngest of which is 9. The piece I'm worried is about is any sort of romantic subplot. If there is any romantic subplot more than something like Alcatraz the 9 year old is going to groan and run away. I already shelved the Skyward series for that reason.

On the one hand, a good guidline is that most books taregt-age is within a year or so of the protagonists age. Joel is 16. However, the "violence" is implied and mostly blood free. The "curses" are in-world and benign (except possibly by timing - based on personal values). The action is well-paced, and interesting. I gave this book to my 10 yr old nephew, and he loved it. 

19 hours ago, Pineap-spider said:

There is a romantic subplot, but the two characters act more like chums than romantic interests. Rithmatist is one of my favorite books, I think you'll be fine.

This. The "Romance" is closer to how you would expect elementary school "romance" to play out. The boy and girl both annoy each other, and everyone other than them can see it is because they like each other, but the kids don't "get it" and wouldn't admit it if they did. It's closer to Antagonistic Allies than Vitriolic Best Buds, but is "less romance" than Percy Jackson (closer to the first two books of the first series, maybe). 

15 hours ago, Treamayne said:

On the one hand, a good guidline is that most books taregt-age is within a year or so of the protagonists age. Joel is 16. However, the "violence" is implied and mostly blood free. The "curses" are in-world and benign (except possibly by timing - based on personal values). The action is well-paced, and interesting. I gave this book to my 10 yr old nephew, and he loved it. 

This. The "Romance" is closer to how you would expect elementary school "romance" to play out. The boy and girl both annoy each other, and everyone other than them can see it is because they like each other, but the kids don't "get it" and wouldn't admit it if they did. It's closer to Antagonistic Allies than Vitriolic Best Buds, but is "less romance" than Percy Jackson (closer to the first two books of the first series, maybe). 

Awesome,  Thanks for the info! The comparison to Percy Jackson is perfect cause I know my 9 year old liked that book.