I have always been under the impression that a given living shard blade weighs the same no matter the shape, hence you might as well make it big. It is a Spren manifesting themselves physically, so in my opinion, it should be the same weight regardless. Am I correct in assuming this or is there evidence to the contrary?

No, as far as I can recall Shardblades have varying weight, they are just often considered lighter than people expect for their typical size (ie lighter than an equivalent steel blade).  The max size for a Shardblade, or at least for Syl, is roughly the size of a grown human, but she certainly doesnt weight that much when in knife or even spear form. 

Also, from a pure combat effectiveness standpoint bigger doesnt always equal better. Ad fwiw, n the real world the design that won out over extra big and/or long Swords were Spears, as generally the most efficient form for reach blades.

Sunlit Man Spoilers

Spoiler

Are you sure you want this?

Spoiler

Aux is able to grow to a very large size when given extra investiture which would certainly increase his weight as he is manifesting more physical material (god metal) that acts in a lot of ways like any other element. It has its own mass, chemical properties, etc, just with some magic attributes sprinkled in.