Hoid

aray171717

This may have already been addressed in another entry but i'me to lazy to look for it.

I have noticed that many people think Hoid might have been or still is a shardholder. however he was also confirmed to be there when Adonalsium shattered.

Is it possible that Hoid was once the holder of Adonalsium?

This may have already been addressed in another entry but i'me to lazy to look for it.

I have noticed that many people think Hoid might have been or still is a shardholder. however he was also confirmed to be there when Adonalsium shattered.

Is it possible that Hoid was once the holder of Adonalsium?

It has been put forward before (by myself, among others, I believe), and does carry some merit. Let me see if I can dig up the thread where I put forward my idea...Ah, here it is: Link. Most of my thoughts are in the second post in that thread.

Additionally, Brandon has said that Hoid is NOT a holder of a shard of Adonalsium, but something else. (Being vague, of course.)

Additionally, Brandon has said that Hoid is NOT a holder of a shard of Adonalsium, but something else. (Being vague, of course.)

What if the cosmere is a sort of a man-made sub-universe of ours, created with special conditions that allow for something like adonalsium to exist, and Hoid is "something else" because he entered the cosmere from "outside"? Additionally, what if all of the original shardholders were people also involved in the experiment, and the shattering was, in its way, both upsetting as well as presenting possibilities, each according to the individual's involvement and personal inclinations.

For example, Hoid speaks of the disposition of Rayse (what a good man he was) before taking up Odium. What if Rayse knew what he was doing when he took up Odium, and did it to try to contain the damage that Odium could do? Take one for the team, as it were.

For example, Hoid speaks of the disposition of Rayse (what a good man he was) before taking up Odium. What if Rayse knew what he was doing when he took up Odium, and did it to try to contain the damage that Odium could do? Take one for the team, as it were.
Actually, it was Ati that he describes as being "a kind and generous man". Rayse was apparently "loathsome, crafty and dangerous" even before he got Odium.

Mind you, I can see Ati & Ruin fitting your 'damage control' idea.

Honestly, I personally doubt that Hoid is the cognitive aspect of Andonalsium. For a couple reasons. The first is that from the LoP sample chapters we see Midius (who Brandon has confirmed to be Hoid) and he seems to just be a reguar guy, albeit one who can use Lightweaving. It doesn't seem that he has any special knowledge or anything. Another is that Sazed mentioned feeling a presence that spanned the void. The presence was Andonalsium and so if Sazed can feel anything at all, it implies at the very least that Hoid isn't all of Andonalsium's mind.

We don't even know that Andonalsium had a mind for sure. If it did, I am virutally certain that it had no need of a holder. I think that the Shards would have a complete mind when combined together, so no one would be needed to control it. That's why I believe that Preservation and the other Shards seem to have very weak minds of their own, separate from their holders. It understands its intent on some level at least even if it isn't strong enough to act upon that intent. Its definitely a different idea though, and I applaud you for your originality, even if I happen to disagree in this instance.

Quite probably Hoid is a part of the Holder of Adonalsium (Brandon), but he's got the wrong body shape to be the whole.

What do you mean by body shape Reader?

Didd he say he wasn't a sliver?

As far as I am aware Brandon has never mentioned what Hoid is or where the source of his powers are from.

Here's a Hoid quote:

T.T.

5. Is Hoid a Herald, or a Shardholder, or something else entirely.

BRANDON SANDERSON (GOODREADS)

5. Hoid is something else entirely.

Source

My theory though is that Hoid may hold a piece from Adonalsium, but not a spiritual piece like the shards. Instead I think he holds a cognitive piece. But as I've tried to explain this, I've become less and less convinced of it. It's entirely based on two things- his "forewarnings" about where (and when) he needs to be, and the fact that he "started life as a concept, a thought" I however forgot the rest of the quote: "I began life as a thought, a concept, as words on a page." The "words on a page" is what worries me. It doesn't entirely make sense- in any context really. Unless it has something to do with Engraving? But Brandon didn't come up with that till after WoK was out.

This is what Brandon has said about future sight:

LOCKE219 ()

I know it's a RAFO, but how the eff did Wyrn see into the future? That seems above even a Shardholder's abilities! I bet that sucker's tapping into the Shadesmar. But I digress...

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

Ha, wow, that is indeed a RAFO. Note that we have seen temporal abilities in the Cosmere before. Most of the time these are related directly to the pure essence of a Shard or to a Splinter.

So who knows. Maybe? It also might be the naming behind "17th Shard". Though that would be extremely ironic if they were named after Hoid because of his cognitive piece of Adonalsium, and he left. It seems that Hoid would mention that ironicness. So maybe not.

Like I said, it's a theory, but I don't know that I fully support it.

EDIT- So, going back to the OP, perhaps. Perhaps the residual effect of holding Adonalsium is greater than holding a Shard (called a Splinter, like the Lord Ruler was).

perhaps i wasnt clear before when i mentioned that hoid could have held adonalsium.

i thought that since he was there when it shattered it was possible he was holding it at the time and the shattering could have forced him to take on his physical form again. an event similar to when ati and vin died there bodies reformed and dropped to the ground. accept since adonalsium shattered and not his mind like in vin and ati's case he would still be alive.

this would explain his knowledge of all the shards and their natures because he would have once held them and retained his knowledge of them. it could also explain how he can "planet hop" using the cognitive realm, and everything he apparently knows about all the shard worlds like in mistborn, he always seems to be around important events. he might know when and where these events would take place because he was there before as adonalsium and would have had some ability to see the future.

Edited by aray171717

What do you mean by body shape Reader?

Well, we know that Hoid has a beard and an arrow-like face, while Brandon has a rounder face and no beard.

For "I began life as a thought, a concept, as words on a page," I got the idea that Midius in LoP is one of (the original) Hoid's illusions. Obviously there are a lot of gaps to fill in between that, and how he seems substantial in the LoP sample chapters, and even remembers a past from before meeting Hoid. But how else can someone begin life as words on a page?

For "I began life as a thought, a concept, as words on a page," I got the idea that Midius in LoP is one of (the original) Hoid's illusions. Obviously there are a lot of gaps to fill in between that, and how he seems substantial in the LoP sample chapters, and even remembers a past from before meeting Hoid. But how else can someone begin life as words on a page?

A concept, words on a page. Sounds like a design. A set of plans. Maybe Adonalsium shattered because it is something that was somehow created by a race of humans in the distant past, and was poorly designed?

When Hoid says, "I began life as a thought, a concept, as words on a page," I just figured he's being metaphorical. I don't think he literally was words brought to life or anything. Also I don't think Midius could be a Lightweaving projection of Hoid's. Also original Hoid died and Midius burned his body. So I think any illusion would have died with him. He does Lightweaving himself and is sentient while the guards he Lightweaves only give that appearance.

• 3 months later...

Didd he say he wasn't a sliver?

Hoid as a Sliver? I like the sound of that. What if he was a piece of Adonalsium that tore itself off. That "stole" itself from the greater whole? Kind of far-fetched, and it may not really work well with what we know of Shards, but it's an interesting idea.

• Chaos locked this topic