Vin Cosplay (WIP)

Glory530

Hello!

After completing the Mistborn trilogy recently, I really wanted to make a Vin costume for myself since I absolutely loved her character, and I am Vin-sized (at least vertically 😆). Now that I've completed the most complicated part (her mistcloak), I wanted to share some WIP notes and photos! More updates will come as I complete more pieces, but I just have the belt and accessories to go now.

First off, since I tend to obsess over accuracy, here are the sources I used for the mistcloak design:

1. Text from the novels
  2. This quoted email from Brandon: https://www.17thshard.com/forums/post/282302
  3. A search of "mistcloak" in the Arcanum section of 17th Shard
  4. Some of the official Vin art, but mostly this picture by Ben McSweeney - https://coppermind.net/wiki/File:Vin.png

I also partially followed the tutorial in this blog post, which is (in my opinion) the best fan-made mistcloak I found in my searching of the interwebs. I already had a pattern from a previous costume I made that was almost the same as the one they used - Emmy Mom--One Day at a Time: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Mistcloak (emmymom2.com)

The blog poster mentioned fleece, and I thought that would be a little too thick and warm and wouldn't match the feel of the fabric mentioned in The Final Empire, so I looked for something a little lighter and smoother that also wouldn't fray (so a knit) and wouldn't curl at the edges. I found a really nice polyester knit in charcoal gray at Joann's. It looks, feels, and drapes right, and it moves sooooo nicely!

I made one embellishment. Ben McSweeney draws swirls in the mantle and hood of Vin's mistcloak in most of his art, and I've been wanting to try out the free motion embroidery mode on my sewing machine. So as an homage to Ben's work, I added what I have decided to name "McSweeney McSwirlies" to my cloak. 😃

53669884664_5d6e8e756c_b.jpg  53669530896_226743d345_b.jpg

53669983490_c438c94666_b.jpg  53668659827_cb5d7876a7_b.jpg

53669530886_7a1a8f5375_b.jpg

As for the clothes, I just got them from Kohl's (the just about perfect shirt in my size off the sale rack was a VERY luck find!), and the wig is from Epic Cosplay Wigs. The dagger shown is version 1.0 off the resin printer (modeled in CAD by my husband as I was doing costume research). Our clear resin got a little yellowed from sitting in the tank, so we're going to reprint both of them.

Edited by Glory530

5 hours ago, Glory530 said:

Hello!

After completing the Mistborn trilogy recently, I really wanted to make a Vin costume for myself since I absolutely loved her character, and I am Vin-sized (at least vertically 😆). Now that I've completed the most complicated part (her mistcloak), I wanted to share some WIP notes and photos! More updates will come as I complete more pieces, but I just have the belt and accessories to go now.

First off, since I tend to obsess over accuracy, here are the sources I used for the mistcloak design:

1. Text from the novels
  2. This quoted email from Brandon: https://www.17thshard.com/forums/post/282302
  3. A search of "mistcloak" in the Arcanum section of 17th Shard
  4. Some of the official Vin art, but mostly this picture by Ben McSweeney - https://coppermind.net/wiki/File:Vin.png

I also partially followed the tutorial in this blog post, which is (in my opinion) the best fan-made mistcloak I found in my searching of the interwebs. I already had a pattern from a previous costume I made that was almost the same as the one they used - Emmy Mom--One Day at a Time: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Mistcloak (emmymom2.com)

The blog poster mentioned fleece, and I thought that would be a little too thick and warm and wouldn't match the feel of the fabric mentioned in The Final Empire, so I looked for something a little lighter and smoother that also wouldn't fray (so a knit) and wouldn't curl at the edges. I found a really nice polyester knit in charcoal gray at Joann's. It looks, feels, and drapes right, and it moves sooooo nicely!

I made one embellishment. Ben McSweeney draws swirls in the mantle and hood of Vin's mistcloak in most of his art, and I've been wanting to try out the free motion embroidery mode on my sewing machine. So as an homage to Ben's work, I added what I have decided to name "McSweeney McSwirlies" to my cloak. 😃

53669884664_5d6e8e756c_b.jpg  53669530896_226743d345_b.jpg

53669983490_c438c94666_b.jpg  53668659827_cb5d7876a7_b.jpg

53669530886_7a1a8f5375_b.jpg

As for the clothes, I just got them from Kohl's (the just about perfect shirt in my size off the sale rack was a VERY luck find!), and the wig is from Epic Cosplay Wigs. The dagger shown is version 1.0 off the resin printer (modeled in CAD by my husband as I was doing costume research). Our clear resin got a little yellowed from sitting in the tank, so we're going to reprint both of them.

Nailed it! The cloak especially looks awesome!