Connection Questions

UltimateArchivist

Question

In my studies, a pattern has emerged concerning connection and Shards. I am certain you have all noticed it; it is not all that obscure. However, a question has arisen. When Kelsier sought to take up the Shard of Preservation, he needed to use an instrument like the Ire's Orb to Connect to Preservation. Could a Bondsmith or a Connector Ferring therefore use Connection to Ascend to a Shard? In addition, would it be possible to use connection in such a way to reconstitute a Splintered Shard and rebuild? Does anyone have any idea of any possible consequences or attribute of the reconstituted Shard?

4 answers to this question

Pretty much, yes, though in that case with Kelsier the Orb would only work in the limited window that the Shard wasnt actively Held by anyone.  So you probably could not use mortal magics like Bondsmith Connections or Feruchemy Compounding to wrest control from an active/healthy/sane Vessel, but it would likely be the path to claiming an unheld and/or Shattered Shard (like Honor, D&D, etc).  

5 hours ago, UltimateArchivist said:

In my studies, a pattern has emerged concerning connection and Shards. I am certain you have all noticed it; it is not all that obscure. However, a question has arisen. When Kelsier sought to take up the Shard of Preservation, he needed to use an instrument like the Ire's Orb to Connect to Preservation. Could a Bondsmith or a Connector Ferring therefore use Connection to Ascend to a Shard?

I believe so, but only if a Shard is without a Vessel at that moment. You wouldn't be able to Ascend to a Shard that has a Vessel. But as seen by the example of Kelsier, just because he had strong enough Connection to Ascend, it doesn't mean he was a good Vessel - the Shard resisted him as he didn't understand the nature of Preservation. It nearly slipped out of his hands a few times. Connection is just one thing, understanding and strong will are also needed to properly control a Shard. 

In addition, would it be possible to use connection in such a way to reconstitute a Splintered Shard and rebuild?

Yes. 

Spoiler

CephandriusTW

Stormfather once said that "Three of sixteen ruled but now the Broken One reigns" and that "Odium reigns", is not crazy to think that Odium is the Broken One. My question is, could be possible to fuse Odium's shard (without Rayse) with the remanents of Honor (his Cognitive Shadow) in order to create a new whole Shard? Could Dalinar do something like that? He would be uniting them (two Shards, one of them supposed to be the Broken One and the other that we actually now is a bit broken).

Brandon Sanderson

[That] is possible

General Reddit 2020 (June 18, 2020)

Does anyone have any idea of any possible consequences or attribute of the reconstituted Shard?

We don't know. 

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Pretty much, yes, though in that case with Kelsier the Orb would only work in the limited window that the Shard wasnt actively Held by anyone.  So you probably could not use mortal magics like Bondsmith Connections or Feruchemy Compounding to wrest control from an active/healthy/sane Vessel, but it would likely be the path to claiming an unheld and/or Shattered Shard (like Honor, D&D, etc).  

Understood. Thank you for the clarifitcation!

On 4/11/2024 at 2:07 PM, alder24 said:

I believe so, but only if a Shard is without a Vessel at that moment. You wouldn't be able to Ascend to a Shard that has a Vessel. But as seen by the example of Kelsier, just because he had strong enough Connection to Ascend, it doesn't mean he was a good Vessel - the Shard resisted him as he didn't understand the nature of Preservation. It nearly slipped out of his hands a few times. Connection is just one thing, understanding and strong will are also needed to properly control a Shard.

This I understand. However, for the sake of conversation, it was expedient to repeat common knowledge at this point. Thank you for your contribution.