Super-Perpendicularity

Perpendicularities connect all three realms, the cognitive,  the physical, and the spiritual; however, you can only travel between the physical and cognitive, not the spiritual. I wonder if you gathered enough investiture to travel all three realms.

What do you think? 

10 minutes ago, laserz667 said:

Perpendicularities connect all three realms, the cognitive,  the physical, and the spiritual; however, you can only travel between the physical and cognitive, not the spiritual. I wonder if you gathered enough investiture to travel all three realms.

What do you think? 

I don't think more investiture is necessarily required - after all we see Kelsier travelling from the Cognitive to the Spiritual in Secret History. However, since the SR doesn't have a "where" or "when" I don't think a being (or Shadow) can stay there for long. 

M:SH Part 2 Ch 1:

Spoiler

Something other than Kelsier rode with those pulses. Something directing an unseen work, something interested in the lore of the Terris. It took Kelsier an embarrassingly long time to realize he should try another tactic. He dunked himself into the center of the pool, surrounded by the too-thin liquid light, and when the next pulse came he pushed himself in the opposite direction—not along with the pulse, but toward its source.

The light thinned, and he looked into someplace new. A dark expanse that was neither the world of the dead nor the world of the living.

In that other place, he found destruction.

Decay. 

Likely it takes Intent, and there are probably other mitigating factors about trying to travel to the Spiritual Realm

29 minutes ago, laserz667 said:

What do you think? 

The Spiritual Realm is not a place, it's not somewhere you can go. In the Spiritual Realm distance and space is irrelevant, time and space are compound into one. You can't enter into the Spiritual Realm, but you can look into it through a Perpendicularity - that's the closest you can get to SR. What looking directly into SR would do? Elend did it at the end of HoA - he saw the past and the future, so that's something that might happen if you do this in a Perpendicularity.

WoBs:

Spoiler

Questioner

In Shadesmar, the solid and liquid phases are inverted. So, in the Spiritual Realm, is it something to do with solid and gas phases, or is it not the same at all?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not quite where you're going, but I like the way you're thinking.

Questioner

So then what's the reason that they can't travel to the Spiritual Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

The Spiritual Realm is not a place.

Skyward San Francisco signing (Nov. 8, 2018)

Spoiler

ajrula

A being with a lot of Investiture worldhops, then dies. What happens to the Investiture that was part of them?

Brandon Sanderson

Most likely, it returns to the Spiritual Realm, where all places are one, and where you were is irrelevant.

#SandersonChat Twitter Q&A with Audible.com (Feb. 4, 2016)

Spoiler

Questioner

Mistborn travels to Roshar, what does he or she use to get Invested?

Brandon Sanderson

*pause* So. *pause* I think I've talked about this before on the 17th Shard, but I'm not 100% sure and so I don't want to anything right now, not knowing what I've said. But you can look it up. You can ask Peter. Hey Peter, have I talked about someone using-- Have I ever in an interview before talked about using metals... A Mistborn travels to Roshar and uses the metals there?

Peter Ahlstrom

I think that you have said that they could do it.

Brandon Sanderson

I said it.  Okay, so the thing about the metals you have to understand is the metals are a key, the metals are not magical themselves, except for specific ones. If I've already said that I can tell you, go to Roshar and you could use the metals that are there to power your Allomancy because the difference is in your soul and you're actually drawing directly from Preservation. Remember that on the Spiritual Realm, this is the big tidbit--they're listening. On the Spiritual Realm time, distance, and space are irrelevant. It's a place where time and space are compounded in one. So anything that exists on the Spiritual Realm, space doesn't matter for it.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

Spoiler

Oversleep

Could you use perpendicularities to see into Spiritual Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 4, 2018)

Spoiler

Wigginns

What would a Hemalurgic spike granting atium do for an Allomancer already able to burn atium? Does it function similarly to bronze, granting enhanced atium-ing? Along this line of thought, would enhancing electrum burning via spike be of any advantage?

Brandon Sanderson

A spike of something you have would enhance your ability, giving your more strength. With atium, more strength makes for a minimal edge--the length you can push out the atium shadows. However, there's a certain breaking point where you kind of crack the whole system, peer straight into the [Spiritual Realm], and kind of have a "It's full of stars" moment.

Electrum could reach this same moment, potentially, though there's more interference to fight through. Extra strength in electrum isn't going to be terribly useful up to that point.

Alsadius

Is that what happened when atium was burned with duralumin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Footnote: In his original response Brandon mistakenly said burning atium and duralumin would cause the Allomancer to peer into the Cognitive Realm, rather than Spiritual Realm. He has since confirmed that this was a mistake.
/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 1, 2015)

Edited by alder24