Kelsier's Revival

KalSpear

18 minutes ago, KalSpear said:

How was Kelsier able to be spiked into the physical world after death? If he is not physical anymore, a physical object should not work on him.

We don't have all the details right now, but we know:

1. His bones were involved due to their Connection to him.

RoW spoilers:

Spoiler
JordanCon 2021 (July 17, 2021)
#3July 17, 2021 

Questioner

With regards to certain experiments, would it be fair to say Ishar and a certain Scadrian have similar goals? 

Brandon Sanderson

*hesitation noises* I don't know that I would say that 100%. The certain Scadrian you reference has been able to achieve the goals that he wants. Let's see if I can circumlocute this: there's a certain set of bones floating around that already has a Connection to this individual, which was useful in achieving what he wanted to do, which is not a luxury that Ishar has. 

2. It is still possible to Hemalurgically spike a Cognitive Shadow.

SA spoilers:

Spoiler
Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)
Play/Pause

Mr. Suit

Can spren - like Syl - be pierced by hemalurgic spike? Will it give some effect?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. A spren can be pierced by Invested metal…

Oversleep

Could it be spiked?

Brandon Sanderson

Could a spike be used to give abilities to spren? That’s not going to work really well.

Oversleep

Could you steal from a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you could steal the Investiture of a spren. Any Investiture can be used in a spike if you know what you’re doing. It’s actually not that hard to use one on a spren.

Oversleep

Because I thought you said Hemalurgy needs moving blood.

Brandon Sanderson

It needs, uh, yeah… there are places where spren have more physical form, more tangible form.

Questioner

Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, no, not Roshar.

Questioner

The Cognitive Realm on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, if you go to the Cognitive Realm on Roshar the spren act differently than they do.

Oversleep

So you could spike in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah I’ll leave a RAFO with you on that. That’s your fifth one. So there are ways to get any Investiture into Hemalurgy if you know what you’re doing. But yeah this is not something that would be a common use for Hemalurgy. Let’s just say that.

Oversleep

We do not concern ourselves with common uses.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I know you don’t. But yeah Hemalurgy, when you’re spiking into somebody you… you’ll see when we get around to it.

Personally, I think that it's likely that a Mistwraith was fed the bones of Kelsier, then a Hemalurgic spike was driven through the eye socket to pin his Cognitive/Spiritual aspect(s) to it.

As to the rest of the specifics, I don't know.

17 minutes ago, KalSpear said:

If Ishar is capable of making spren physical in the physical realm, couldn't he spike them there?

Spoiler

Theoretically, yes, but that doesnt help his as the spren die almost immediately. It wouldnt solve his issue, that body would die for him just like the spren

26 minutes ago, KalSpear said:

If Ishar is capable of making spren physical in the physical realm, couldn't he spike them there?

This is actually the Mistborn forum, so please put any other Cosmere spoilers in a spoiler box.

As for what you propose, it's probably possible to do just that (as long as it's used with a previously existing human body), but he doesn't have knowledge of Hemalurgy from what I can tell.