What is the fast food the bridge leaders eat?

butterquark

I figured it was a cosmere taco, with people meat inside.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/13137-rosharans-are-cannibals-sort-of/?hl=cannibals  

Herdazians always seemed Hispanic to me. Loads of cousins, mothers always making people eat, it's uncannily like my family... :ph34r:

Herdazians are hispanic.

I remember reading in an interview somewhere Sanderson saying that it was his wife to give him the idea. She noted how most fantasy cultures are based on feudal europe, or feudal japan, or the roman empire, but she can't recall any based instance of one based on hispanics. Brandon tought about it, and herdazia was born.

I guess that's also part of the reason I'm seeing it as a tortilla instead of a kebab or gyro or even a piadina. Althoug the difference isn't so great: virtually every culture devised some kind of food made of a slice of bread wrapped around meat and sauces.

If I recall correctly, the meat is finely minced and into a semi-liquid stuff, making me think it could be a close equivalent of ragù. Ragù is normally eaten with pasta, not as filling for a bread-based thing, but it can be used that way - in fact, I did eat exactly that for five days in a row a few weeks ago, after making three kilos of ragù and finding out my freezer could only keep two.

Herdazians are hispanic.

I remember reading in an interview somewhere Sanderson saying that it was his wife to give him the idea. She noted how most fantasy cultures are based on feudal europe, or feudal japan, or the roman empire, but she can't recall any based instance of one based on hispanics. Brandon tought about it, and herdazia was born.

I guess that's also part of the reason I'm seeing it as a tortilla instead of a kebab or gyro or even a piadina. Althoug the difference isn't so great: virtually every culture devised some kind of food made of a slice of bread wrapped around meat and sauces.

If I recall correctly, the meat is finely minced and into a semi-liquid stuff, making me think it could be a close equivalent of ragù. Ragù is normally eaten with pasta, not as filling for a bread-based thing, but it can be used that way - in fact, I did eat exactly that for five days in a row a few weeks ago, after making three kilos of ragù and finding out my freezer could only keep two.

Ha, I was right! I can't wait to go and tell my gringo friends.

Mmm, ragu sounds really good right now.

Huh, I never pictured Herdazians as Hispanic but on reflection it seems to work. I had actually pictured Greek or other Mediterranean cultures for exactly the same reasons (huge families, lots of cousins, close knit, generally jovial even in terrible situations), so I associated Chouta with gyros. 

However you're definitely right. Most cultures at some point or another have come up with some variation on meat and sauce inside something vaguely bread-like. It's not a specific dish.

Huh, I never pictured Herdazians as Hispanic but on reflection it seems to work. I had actually pictured Greek or other Mediterranean cultures for exactly the same reasons (huge families, lots of cousins, close knit, generally jovial even in terrible situations), so I associated Chouta with gyros. 

However you're definitely right. Most cultures at some point or another have come up with some variation on meat and sauce inside something vaguely bread-like. It's not a specific dish.

Ditto here. I saw them as Greek eating Gyros :lol: but Mexicans eating burritos would fit as well.

Ditto here. I saw them as Greek eating Gyros :lol: but Mexicans eating burritos would fit as well.

Well, mediterranean cultures are pretty close to each other. especially italian and spanish, to the point that at every international student i've seen or heard of they banded together. I've never known any greek, so I'm not sure how much they'd fit into it, but from what i hear they also should be quite similar.

ao, whether the herdazians are of hisppanic  or italic or greek inspiration, the difference is comparatively small.

Well, mediterranean cultures are pretty close to each other. especially italian and spanish, to the point that at every international student i've seen or heard of they banded together. I've never known any greek, so I'm not sure how much they'd fit into it, but from what i hear they also should be quite similar.

ao, whether the herdazians are of hisppanic  or italic or greek inspiration, the difference is comparatively small.

But Greek are the only ones eating Gyros.... So Greek it has to be :ph34r:

In the end it doesn't matter really though. While it is an easy trap to fall into to basically take an existing culture from earth and give it a new name and some superficial differences calling it good (looking at you George R.R. Martin and the Ironborn), Brandon doesn't seem to fall for that trap very often. Whatever their initial inspiration and physical appearance, I'm sure that Brandon now has a full Herdazian culture pack somewhere in his notes that is independent of any earth culture.