I'm not okay with this ending

S. Stormy

aaaaaah

Okay, I wasn't that sad when Aux died. Although I did get spoiled so that might be part of it... but... that last line of the book? He can't see his friends again? I'm not okay with this! I'm not! I'm not i'm not imnot aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh nooo i wanted a HAPPY ENDING this isn't resolution

(I finished it like 10 minutes ago in case you couldn't tell)

35 minutes ago, S. Stormy said:

aaaaaah

Okay, I wasn't that sad when Aux died. Although I did get spoiled so that might be part of it... but... that last line of the book? He can't see his friends again? I'm not okay with this! I'm not! I'm not i'm not imnot aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh nooo i wanted a HAPPY ENDING this isn't resolution

I actually loved SM's ending. I feel like we never get sad endings from Brandon, and I was happy to see it. I felt like the entire book was kinda built upon the idea that Sigzil's life was sad, so I loved that the ending matched the theme.

3 hours ago, S. Stormy said:

aaaaaah

I took this as unreliable narrator POV. Afterall, what he really says is (TSM Epilogue):

Spoiler

He’d likely never know what happened to Rebeke, Elegy, the Greater Good, and all the other Beaconites. Because he couldn’t afford to look backward, didn’t dare bring the forces that chased him anywhere near people he cared about. If he ever returned there, they’d know the place meant something to him.

Which, of course, does not account for the eventual defeat of his pursuers, allowing him to resume all of his personal relationships. It's not that he can't see his friends again, it's that while-depressed-after-losing-aux he cannot see an optimistic future through his depression. 

20 hours ago, S. Stormy said:

aaaaaah

Uh... hate to tell you this, but he basically signed that agreement the moment he took up the Dawnshard. Unless Roshar invents immortality, he will outlast all of his friends in Bridge Four. That's what it means to be an immortal among mortals and versions of this concept have been reiterated over and over in literature. Whether he stays or goes, so this  It's a continuation of his choice to retain his Torment rather than trying to siphon it completely away. In many ways, at this point retaining his Torment(s) and hardships is his choice and he's turned a corner in his choice to regain his frayed honor and conscience. What's different here is that he has permanently left Canticle better than when he found it, and that he himself has become a better person.

Basically, not every good friend you meet you keep for life. I was a counselor for a youth camp and it was basically my job to create an environment where temporary friendships could form and people could come out of their shells and learn more about themselves and others and grow. A weekly cycle of getting a new batch of teens, learning all of their names, doing my best to learn about them and care about them before letting them going out to normality and trying to gear myself for the next week. Life is not a youth camp, but those days can still be special and everyone involved can grow from the experience. Just because it's temporary doesn't mean it's not worthwhile or happy.

3 hours ago, Duxredux said:

Uh... hate to tell you this, but he basically signed that agreement the moment he took up the Dawnshard. Unless Roshar invents immortality, he will outlast all of his friends in Bridge Four. That's what it means to be an immortal among mortals and versions of this concept have been reiterated over and over in literature. Whether he stays or goes, so this  It's a continuation of his choice to retain his Torment rather than trying to siphon it completely away. In many ways, at this point retaining his Torment(s) and hardships is his choice and he's turned a corner in his choice to regain his frayed honor and conscience. What's different here is that he has permanently left Canticle better than when he found it, and that he himself has become a better person.

Basically, not every good friend you meet you keep for life. I was a counselor for a youth camp and it was basically my job to create an environment where temporary friendships could form and people could come out of their shells and learn more about themselves and others and grow. A weekly cycle of getting a new batch of teens, learning all of their names, doing my best to learn about them and care about them before letting them going out to normality and trying to gear myself for the next week. Life is not a youth camp, but those days can still be special and everyone involved can grow from the experience. Just because it's temporary doesn't mean it's not worthwhile or happy.

Well, my problem isn't mainly that he can't see his friends again.

What breaks my heart is that he can't ever rest or stop running. And now he doesn't even have Aux to keep him company. I am sad.

21 hours ago, Treamayne said:

I took this as unreliable narrator POV. Afterall, what he really says is (TSM Epilogue):

Reveal hidden contents

He’d likely never know what happened to Rebeke, Elegy, the Greater Good, and all the other Beaconites. Because he couldn’t afford to look backward, didn’t dare bring the forces that chased him anywhere near people he cared about. If he ever returned there, they’d know the place meant something to him.

Which, of course, does not account for the eventual defeat of his pursuers, allowing him to resume all of his personal relationships. It's not that he can't see his friends again, it's that while-depressed-after-losing-aux he cannot see an optimistic future through his depression. 

You make a good point! I hadn't seen that.

On 2/18/2024 at 2:00 PM, Immortal Platypus said:

I actually loved SM's ending. I feel like we never get sad endings from Brandon, and I was happy to see it. I felt like the entire book was kinda built upon the idea that Sigzil's life was sad, so I loved that the ending matched the theme.

I suppose... I don't agree, but fair enough!

On 2/19/2024 at 12:00 AM, Immortal Platypus said:

To me, it felt like Brandon was setting in his office, tapping his pen, and thinking “hmmmmmmmmm, I finished abusing Kaladin, who should I emotionally abuse next?”