Hemalurgy

Voidus

Hey I'm trying to work out again just what exactly everything does hemalurgically but I keep running into a problem with gold, according to the RPG it steals feruchemical temporal abilities (which don't actually exist as they are physical in feruchemy) but apparently pewter steal feruchemical physical abilities including gold, electrum, Cadmium and bendalloy. So yeah basically what the heck does gold steal?

Hey I'm trying to work out again just what exactly everything does hemalurgically but I keep running into a problem with gold, according to the RPG it steals feruchemical temporal abilities (which don't actually exist as they are physical in feruchemy) but apparently pewter steal feruchemical physical abilities including gold, electrum, Cadmium and bendalloy. So yeah basically what the heck does gold steal?

Yeah, Brandon did say it wasn't a mistake that pewter stole health. Gut reaction, I'd say either pewter or gold spikes can steal all those Feruchemical "physical" powers, in both those two quadrants. That's the only way to reconcile the two. However, it also doesn't seem right that there would be overlapping powers.

I don't think we'll know enough to resolve that ambiguity for a long time, unfortunately...

I think that gold should store allomantic temporal powers since I don't think any of the others do that but yea (except atium obviously), other than that I can't think of anything other than an overlap.

Atium stores age, which makes me think that atium and its alloys are the feruchemical temporal metals. A goldspike would steal them, but an atiumspike (which I think was confirmed as a hemalurgic wildcard) would work as well.

Well, Feruchemy is divided into four quadrants that are arranged realmatically. Two for the physical realm, one for the spiritual, and one for the cognative. Since brass and pewter already steal the physical quadrants, it seems logical that the two other feruchemical spike metals would steal cognative or spiritual feruchemy. If gold is valid, then it would steal one of those. This also mean electrum should steal temporal allomancy.

Thankyou both for those, I kinda like both, hemalurgical metals aren't necessarily divided up similarly to allomantic or feruchemical so either could work I suppose, I'd lean towards Thoughts view but yeah, could go either way. I love theorizing about atium alloys!

Actually another thought here, we know that feruchemically speaking Brass is a physical and not cognitive metal, so should a pewter spike be necessary to steal it? the RPG is really messing up with my hemalurgy ideas :( (Also I find it quite counterintuitive that a brass spike cannot steal feruchemical brass)

Most of what we find 'intuitive' is stuff that's true for allomancy. If Brandon has said that feruchemy works differently, wouldn't the same be true of hemalurgy? It may not be in quadrants at all.

I'd wondered about that myself, but it seems to go against the nature of hemalurgy. That is, hemalurgy brings nothing of its own to the table, it only steals from other power sources. Thus, it makes sense that it would steal allomancy according to how allomancy is arranged, and it would likewise steal from feruchemy based on how feruchemy is arranged. It would be a bit too... positive if hemalurgy had its own perspective.

Of course, that's just my perspective: there isn't firm evidence one way or the other (yet).

Edit: As for pewter and brass possibly stealing the same feruchemical abilities, I'd be inclined to suspect that one would steal the physical realm's "physical" powers and the other would steal the physical realms "mental" powers. That is, storing memories and storing, say, identity would be realmatically different, even though we might normally classify them as being products of our brains.

Edited by Thought

• Chaos locked this topic