Agatha Christie / Sophie Hannah

traceria

So, I don't know how many other people around here enjoy the mystery genre, specifically Agatha Christie or any other works by the Queens of Crime, but I'm quite a raving Christie fan and have also come to love Ngaio Marsh, Sayers, and enjoy a nice Father Brown story by G.K. Chesterton on occasion.

Anyhow, I just got back from vacation, where we happened to visit a local bookstore.  We'd been there in the past, the last time being the week that The Rithmatist was released.  Side story:  I called and had them pre-order me a copy so I could get The Rithmatist while on vacation.  Meanwhile, a good friend of mine when to a Brandon Sanderson signing in the Philadelphia area since I was several states away, and she had a couple books of mine signed.  She's an awesome friend.  End side story.  So there's this display with a book sitting front and center that features the words "THE NEW HERCULE POIROT MYSTERY" printed boldly across the top of the slip cover.  My brain went, "WHAT?!" and then my mouth repeated the thought.  

If you're a Christie fan, you know she wrote around 80 novels, many of those featuring Hercule Poirot.  He's my favorite Christie detective, maybe because he was also the first one I read so many stories/novels about.  So, I looked into this "new" novel.

Apparently with the blessings of the family and the agents that handle Christie's estate, Sophie Hannah was given the go-ahead to write and publish a new Poirot novel. :D

Now I just have to finish reading it.  I was only able to read one chapter before falling asleep last night, but I'm excited and very hopeful!

On a side note, a new six-part Tommy & Tuppence series is in the works for 2015 airing! :D

Edited by traceria

Whooooooooaaaaaahhhh :o  New Poirot??? What is this!!! I have read probably 2/3 to 3/4 of them and only correctly guessed the villain 4-5 times. I will have to look into this if only because I need to make sure this person isn't ruining my dear egg headed belgium.

Whooooooooaaaaaahhhh :o  New Poirot??? What is this!!! I have read probably 2/3 to 3/4 of them and only correctly guessed the villain 4-5 times. I will have to look into this if only because I need to make sure this person isn't ruining my dear egg headed belgium.

I really, really, really hope she does a good job, too!  I will let you know my thoughts once I'm done (probably over the weekend because my husband will have a football watching friend over and so I won't have to pay attention to the game at all on Sunday...not really a football person).  Poirot is my absolute favorite!  I even sent an email around to all my other AC fan friends to let them know about it in case they wanted to borrow the book once I'm finished.

Huh. I must admit to being curious.

As a note, I'm not a huge Christie fan; I've only read a handful o her books, and those were all Poirot ones. But I have a vivid memory of watching a live-action version of Murder on the Orient Express when i was younger... though damnation if I can remember which one it was. 

Anyway, thanks for the news. This might be what I need to get back to trying to actually read the Poirot mysteries- though mystery isn't really a genre I usually try.

I'm about a third of the way through.  Reading this weekend got put on the backburner when a friend brought over wedding invitations to address, which was something I offered to do, said friend having atrocious handwriting and me having a calligraphy pen and much better handwriting. :)  Anyhow, I have made some progress.  The book is from the perspective of a Scotland Yard detective working with Poirot on a case.  I think it's a new character, because I don't recall running across him before.  That's all I'll say for now.  I'd rather reserve judgment until I'm totally finished. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Completely forgot to come back here and report.   :rolleyes:   The Monogram Murders was worth the read, though to the reader who is overly familiar with Agatha Christie, if you go in knowing it's written by someone else, you won't be able to help but notice a difference.  That said, I can't quite put my finger on what made it feel different.  It just did.  It did manage to get me in the mood to read some actual Christie, which is a good thing.  I like to read her novels in between bigger reading projects as I can breeze right through them and they're great relaxing reads.  If Ms. Hannah comes out with any other Poirot or other Christie-related books, I will likely pick them up.