I have been reading the Mistborn RPG bace rule book and now I have a few questions on how you use Nicrosil

1. How do you store investiture? In the Mistborn RPG it says that it takes abilities from other metal minds and turns it into pure investiture and stores it. I was wondering if it was canon or not.

2. How do you use the stored investiture? Again in the RPG it says that when you draw from a Nicrosil Metalmind you can use that investigure and put it into any other Metalmind. I am again wondering if this is canon.

1 hour ago, Ym and Cenn need love said:

I have been reading the Mistborn RPG bace rule book and now I have a few questions on how you use Nicrosil

1. How do you store investiture? In the Mistborn RPG it says that it takes abilities from other metal minds and turns it into pure investiture and stores it. I was wondering if it was canon or not.

2. How do you use the stored investiture? Again in the RPG it says that when you draw from a Nicrosil Metalmind you can use that investigure and put it into any other Metalmind. I am again wondering if this is canon.

Mistborn RPG is not canon. We don't know what happens when you store investiture in F-nicrosil. However we know they are not storing raw investiture like Stormlight, but the ability to use investiture, like Allomancy or Feruchemy - a part of your soul, which is called innate investiture. F-nicrosil works also a bit differently and is less restrictive than nicrosil in Malwish medallions. The one in medallions works like storing memories in a Coppermind. 

My best guess on how this works is that F-nicrosil allows you to store your invested abilities just like F-steel stores your speed. You can store your Allomantic ability of steel for an hour, when you basically aren't an Allomancer, and then tap it for an hour to have twice as strong steelpushes, or stronger in shorter time if you tap at higher speeds with diminishing returns. But again, this is just my guess, we have only sparse information about F-nicrosil, Brandon wants to save it for later. We only know for now that in F-nicrosil you store abilities, part of your soul that gives you invested arts, not raw investiture, so the answer to your second question is it doesn't work like that.

Spoiler

Phantine

Do the other uses for those metals [nicrosil, aluminum, duralumin] currently in the RPG also work in-universe, or are they just there for RPG mechanics?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the things in the RPG books relating to the metals that you don't see in the books fall under the "We need to make a game out of this somehow, Brandon" clause. I've told them they can extrapolate if they want, but that I wouldn't consider their extrapolations canon.

Herowannabe

So does that mean that these metals will be getting updated rules in a future RPG supplement?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a possibility. I've said before that you should consider any games you play to be in an alternate dimension anyway, where the rules work slightly differently, and your players can control the fate of what is going on. Plus, it will be years before I can get to the nature of all this in the next trilogy, so we'll see how relevant it all is in five years or so.

Mistborn: Secret History Explanation (Feb. 5, 2016)

Spoiler

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

General Signed Books 2018 (Oct. 15, 2018)

Spoiler

Calderis

Does the nicrosil portion of the medallions function identitically to how a Soulbearer Ferring would use Nicrosil? 

Brandon Sanderson

Not exactly. The medallion is a little more restrictive, for one thing.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 31, 2018)

Spoiler

Doniac

A nicrosil Feruchemist can store Investiture, could they potentially create something like a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

All questions about storing Investiture are RAFOs for the foreseeable future. (Sorry.)

General Reddit 2016 (Jan. 31, 2016)

Spoiler

kingbirdy (paraphrased)

Could Feruchemical nicrosil be used to store other Invested abilities, such as a Returned Breath or the abilities of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, that's possible.

DragonCon 2016 (Sept. 4, 2016)