Koloss Inquisitors

Shardcellist

Koloss Inquisitors

I think the name says it all, don't you?  

So, for Scadrian domination on a planetary level, why didn't the Lord Ruler, or Ruin, or somebody else combine the Hemalurgic constructs?

Clearly, the ideal Koloss-Quisitor should have 16 spikes:

The first four are obvious. It takes four spikes to make one a Koloss.

The next two are also clearly needed. The creation of a Koloss gives it brutish intelligence, not an aspect commonly preferred in maniacal, overpowered giant Inquisitors. Therefore, I propose giving each a Kandra Blessing of Presence. This should, in theory, allow the Koloss to retain human-level sentience.

The other ten are a matter of preference. Here are mine (going with only abilities used in the Mistborn trilogy):

Allomantic Pewter

Feruchemical Pewter (I mean, really, if your Inquisitor is Koloss-level, it might as well Compound strength.)

Feruchemical Gold

Allomantic Gold (Again, for the highly overpowered Compounding.)

Allomantic Steel

Feruchemical Steel (Both of these are good on their own, though Compounding is another benefit.)

Allomantic Iron

Allomantic Duralumin

Alloy of Law:

If we include the other metals discovered by this time, I would swap Allomantic Iron, Allomantic Duralumin, and Allomantic Pewter for Feruchemical Iron and double Bendalloy. This would allow for unlimited energy (I assume koloss eat a lot), speed bubbles, and weight change.

Cosmere Koloss-Quisitors:

Here is where we have some real fun. Pick your top ten abilities from anywhere in the Cosmere and mix them into one!

Surge of Division: Who doesn’t want their overpowered Hemalurgic monster to have power over destruction and decay? (I am assuming each spike grants only one Surge, much like spiking a Mistborn gives only one Allomantic ability.)

Surge of Regrowth: Double Gold in one spike.

Awakening: This is quite versatile, especially if one gets massive amounts of Breath. And, of course, the Fifth Heightening grants immortality.

Forgery: This grants amazing power. I especially like the options available through Essence Marks.

Surge of Motion: Instant movement and Realmatic transition.

Surge of Transformation: Soulcasting metals for Scadrian magics along with anything else required.

Double Steel: Compounding speed makes fighting these koloss quite difficult.

Double Bendalloy: Once again, unlimited sustenance and the ability to speed up time.

So, what do you think? What abilities would your pet Koloss-Inquisitor have?

Enjoy!

Assuming TFE-era resources, double Steel, double Pewter, Allomantic atium, double Gold, Allomantic bronze, and double Iron (double meaning one of each spike, feruchemical and allomantic).

Speed, strength, "flight," health regeneration, limited precognition, Seeking, and weight change. Not bad.

Edited by kinxer

I'm flattered, in an evil warlord friendly bakery sort of way.

Ironically, I read this while eating a cookie.

On a side note, you could try mixing koloss and kandra, but it sort of defeats the purpose when your overpowered giant discards his body to become an average person.

It'd look like a giant metallic porcupine of destruction. It is would be GLORIOUS.

Giant metallic porcupines of destruction win you an upvote. Also, this means that your creatures can hold their breath and feel very close to people as they brutally murder them.

Hmm, hemalurgy, cookies, I think we have a candidate.

Shardchellist, have you ever been interested in joining the Dark Alley? It is a most illustrious walkway, and we're rather fond of, ahem, baking...

Perhaps. I can always stand at the entryway and ply beguiling - not dark - music to draw customers in to our - bakery - for cookies that are   - most definitely - not spiked.

*Ahem.*

Why, sure; I've always wanted to be a street musician.

On a side note, you could try mixing koloss and kandra, but it sort of defeats the purpose when your overpowered giant discards his body to become an average person.

Well It'd essentially just be a regular Kandra only with a double Blessing of Potency as well as their normal blessing. So a shapeshifter with 3x regular strength? Yes please. Also throw in some Allomantic spikes just for fun.

I can't help but think that something about Kandra and Koloss might keep Allomantic or Feruchemical spikes from working on them. I know there is no statement directly saying they CAN'T be spiked further, but we've never seen them given more. And think about it. Why wouldn't either The Lord Ruler or the Inquisitors under Ruin make their Koloss army better once they had maxed themselves out with additional spikes? Beyond most other things, Ruin is terribly efficient. If he could make them better killing machines, he would have.

I can't help but think that something about Kandra and Koloss might keep Allomantic or Feruchemical spikes from working on them. I know there is no statement directly saying they CAN'T be spiked further, but we've never seen them given more. And think about it. Why wouldn't either The Lord Ruler or the Inquisitors under Ruin make their Koloss army better once they had maxed themselves out with additional spikes? Beyond most other things, Ruin is terribly efficient. If he could make them better killing machines, he would have.

They can be given Allomancy Hemalurgically, or at least Kandra can, there just weren't enough Mistings available for Ruin or TLR to give all of the Koloss Allomancy, nor did he need them to have it, that's what the Inquisitors were for.

Apparently this is possible.

NINJAMETIMBERS

What would happen if you gave it a spike imbued with steel allomancy? I'm assuming that wouldn't be enough to grant it sentience but could it then use steel powers? Can you give allomantic powers to a kandra?
BRANDON SANDERSON
Hemalurgy can give allomantic powers to a kandra. The process to do so is not known to anyone but Harmony.

I'm not convinced that all of the ideas proposed here are viable though, Hemalurgy seems to get much more complex and the options more restricted, the more spikes you add.
Edited by BlackYeti

Well It'd essentially just be a regular Kandra only with a double Blessing of Potency as well as their normal blessing. So a shapeshifter with 3x regular strength? Yes please. Also throw in some Allomantic spikes just for fun.

Good point. I was thinking of Koloss spikes only in their oversize-the-Human function, which doesn't fit well with a shapeshifter used mainly for imitating others.

"Ummmmm. It's really me, guys, I've just, ah, been working out recently..."

Also, the Lord Ruler probably avoided overpowered, unbeatable Porcupines of Death mainly because he was anticipating Ruin's return. Spoilsport. However,

(Shadows of Self Reading Spoilers)

I couldn’t let it die.  It’s not right.  Hemalurgy is good now I figure.  Sazed is both sides now. Right?  Ruin isn’t around anymore.

We can use it, we should, shouldn’t we?

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3686-steris-appreciation-thread/?hl=%2Bsteris+%2Bappreciation+%2Bthread

Edited by Shardcellist

The thing about hemalurgy in the final empire is that it was too difficult to do more than just spiking at random to see what worked, and too exxpensive to justify most uses. it was said somewhere that tlr experimented for all his reign but never found anything useful. kandra, inquisitors and koloss all were conceived while he held the power of the well.

Count me in the camp which thinks that hybrids of the various Hemalurgic creations would be extremely difficult to make, due to the reasons listed above.  The spikes probably interact with each other in complex ways, and 1024 years wasn't enough time for TLR to find other viable ones..

Count me in the camp which thinks that hybrids of the various Hemalurgic creations would be extremely difficult to make, due to the reasons listed above.  The spikes probably interact with each other in complex ways, and 1024 years wasn't enough time for TLR to find other viable ones..

While I accept and appreciate that you're trying to be helpful and precise here, this thread is just for fun, as opposed to tending toward any semblance of accuracy in terms of doability. I mean, I could be wrong, so I'd need word from OP to be sure, but that's what it seems like to me.

Probably off topic:

I find it extremely suspicious that TLR never found any new Hemalurgic points in 1024 years. Even brute forcing all the spots on the human body should have let him do it over that length of time. I think there's merit to the idea that TLR purposefully destroyed any (successful) Hemalurgic experimental knowledge, or the Inquisitors purposefully ruined their own experiments. Plus, Ruin could have whispered Hemalurgic secrets into TLR's mind.

Edited by Moogle

Intent is definitely an important part, but even then, brute forcing everything over 1000 years should have at least given ONE Hemalurgic bind point, it's ridiculous to think otherwise, in my opinion. You could take a Spike and a few thousand Skaa no one would miss, and just try various positions and Intents. Unless Hemalurgy is MUCH more specific then we've been led to believe (Vin's mum created a Hemalurgic Spike and Spiked Vin without fully knowing what she was doing), then there must have been shenanigans going on preventing research.

While I accept and appreciate that you're trying to be helpful and precise here, this thread is just for fun, as opposed to tending toward any semblance of accuracy in terms of doability. I mean, I could be wrong, so I'd need word from OP to be sure, but that's what it seems like to me.

This is correct. This thread was intended for fun, but I think we've had that; I see it changing into a more serious discussion, which is just fine with me. On that note, however, the original posts weren't meant to be doable. While this doesn't mean they aren't (I think they are possible, as kandra can be given other spikes, but I don't think that anyone except possibly Sazed has the know-how), they now seem to be less the point of discussion.

To reiterate,

(Shadows of Self Reading)

I couldn’t let it die.  It’s not right.  Hemalurgy is good now I figure.  Sazed is both sides now. Right?  Ruin isn’t around anymore.

We can use it, we should, shouldn’t we?

and Alloy of Law Ars Arcanum

Hemalurgy is an end-negative art. Some power is lost in the practice of it. Though many through history have maligned it as an "evil" art, none of the Investitures are actually evil. At its core, Hemalurgy deals with removing abilities - or attributes - from one person and bestowing them on another. It is primarily concerned with things of the Spiritual Realm, and is of the greatest interest to me. If one of these arts is of great interest to the Cosmere, it is this one. I think there are great possibilities for its use.

@Moogle: I think that is a good point. After all, TLR knew Ruin was returning; handing him armies of Koloss along with overpowered Inquisitors was probably enough!

So, fellow 17th Sharders, now is our chance! What are the Ars Arcanum author, Ironeyes,

(Marsh)

and others we don't yet know about planning? What roles will Hemalurgy take in the Cosmere? After all, there's always another secret!

Vin's mum created a Hemalurgic Spike and Spiked Vin without fully knowing what she was doing

Vin's mom was being influenced by Ruin at that point (making her love one child, Vin, while making her see the other as a monster) so she is perhaps not the best example.