Where Do I Start?

KChan

So, I really want to learn how to code. I'm learning HTML and CSS via my work here on 17S, but I'd like to expand my knowledge to more than just those two things. I was thinking Javascript would be useful to know, but I have no idea where to start or how to get started. So, to those of you who know more than I do, where's a good starting point? Are there any good books/websites that you know of to help beginners get a good foundation? Have any advice of your own to give? Anything you have to offer would be very much appreciated!

unfortunately, the best way I've found to learn html/css/js/etc is to try and implement something, and then look through references for what I need. It only really works well once you know how to program in the right style, cause then you can just look at the MozDev stuff or other similar references and you get everything. The other way of doing that is to just google for code snippets and figure what they do then implement them yourself, from the ground up. Copy paste the code snippet and run it to check it does what you want, then change it to work as you want.

unfortunately, the best way I've found to learn html/css/js/etc is to try and implement something, and then look through references for what I need. It only really works well once you know how to program in the right style, cause then you can just look at the MozDev stuff or other similar references and you get everything. The other way of doing that is to just google for code snippets and figure what they do then implement them yourself, from the ground up. Copy paste the code snippet and run it to check it does what you want, then change it to work as you want.

well, in my opinion, the thing is that JS/PHP/ASP/what-have-you-is significantly different from coding HTML/CSS/etc. because they're markup languages, as opposed to a scripting language like JS/PHP/ASP/etc. that it sounds like what she's wanting to get into. Because of this, she has no foreknowledge of various programming constructs that are standard among most languages, which makes it a bit harder for her to just "jump in" and learn it since she has no knowledge of what/how things like variables, loops, objects, etc. all function (presumably).

It may actually be to her benefit to start messing around with vbscript locally on her PC to get used to these sort of concepts, and then transition to, say, ASP (which is basically "vbscript for websites") and once she feels comfortable with shift from scripting-web design changes, go from there to PHP, JS, or any other language she wants to learn (though my suggestions goes towards either JS or PHP since they're pretty much the largest of the web-based languages these days, as opposed to more outlier things like ruby on rails or something)

Start by learning how to count. :)

Then go learn Python. Javascript is probably not a good place to start because its execution environment is so weird. It's hard to debug, hard to code any sort of user interaction, and its object system is strange and probably difficult for a novice to understand.

Python, on the other hand, will give you a solid intro to object-oriented programming, and should be easy enough to pick up quickly.

Start by learning how to count. :)

Then go learn Python. Javascript is probably not a good place to start because its execution environment is so weird. It's hard to debug, hard to code any sort of user interaction, and its object system is strange and probably difficult for a novice to understand.

Python, on the other hand, will give you a solid intro to object-oriented programming, and should be easy enough to pick up quickly.

Python can do web scripting and application development, right? I've never used it, and know almost nothing about it, but i know quite a few people who swear by it. Because if so, that would probably be a pretty good option, too.

yes, you can do webserver dev in python, probably preferable to learning php or perl lol. It's a very nice language. js is essential though, and its got much better language wise, AND you can write server side stuff in it. *fanboy*

I like how you guys are all talking amongst yourselves right over my head. XD Also:

Because of this, she has no foreknowledge of various programming constructs that are standard among most languages, which makes it a bit harder for her to just "jump in" and learn it since she has no knowledge of what/how things like variables, loops, objects, etc. all function (presumably).

This. Very much this. Aside from what I've taught myself about web design, I can't code my way out of a wet paper bag, and there's just so much out there that I have no idea where to start. Hence this thread.

I've tried to learn Javascript a few times and faled, it was to ugly. Then I've heard about JQuery and instantly fell in love. If you already use CSS, you'll find JQuery very intuitive.

I'd suggest starting here: http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials:jQuery_For_Designers

Edited by Eri