Book Recommendations

Looking for a couple recommendations, and I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I guess I will rez this one.

there is a pretty regular used book sale in my area coming up in a bit over a week, and I am looking for any author or book recommendations.  the selection is usually not great, but you can never tell what will be there.  I'm primarily looking for Sci-fi and fantasy series.  any suggestions?

For some really fun Sci Fi try James Corey's The Expanse series. It's a great time to read these since SyFy is doing a show in Dec on 1st book.

For some fun fantasy try to find Jim Butcher's Codex Alera(Rome meshed with Pokemon= pure win) or his urban fantasy Dresden Files.

I'll definitely keep an eye out, though I'm not optimistic about being able to find any specific book/series.  I also plan to scan this thread when I have the time, and some of the what are you reading thread too, for suggestions there.

I'll definitely keep an eye out, though I'm not optimistic about being able to find any specific book/series. I also plan to scan this thread when I have the time, and some of the what are you reading thread too, for suggestions there.

The Book I'm Currently Reading is a great place for that kind of searching.

Edited by LeftInch

The Book I'm Currently Reading is a great place for that kind of searching.

yea, I wanna look through that one, but its pretty long, and has a lot of repeats, so I'm not sure I have the patience for it.  I've got a week though, so I may get around to it.

Shadows of the Apt, a ten-book series by Adrian Tchaikovsky, is awesome. Plus, the entire series is done by now; plus, Mr. Tchaikovsky put up on his website, for free download, various canonical short stories in this series' setting. I've read the first three books, and, for most of today I'll be reading Book 4.

A word of warning though: This s--t is weird. Not goofy-weird, but still---weird. This series is steampunk meets high fantasy meets insect-totems meets military fantasy meets 1930s pulps. And, yes, it's all internally consistent. It's great stuff , which I am REALLY enjoying.