how to defend against mistings/ferrings

RJWB0mb

arnt hazekillers often mistings too? ithought i rember one of the first set of haze killers having a iron misting with a wooden shield.

Actually, yes, they often are mistings. They just don't get a lot of "screen time" in the books, but the RPG goes into greater detail.

Actually, yes, they often are mistings. They just don't get a lot of "screen time" in the books, but the RPG goes into greater detail.

If that is what the RPG says, then that is in direct contradiction to what Sanderson said in MB1, ch 5: "Kelsier let the safe drop to the ground. Hazekillers weren't Allomancers, but they were trained to fight Mistings and Mistborn." Emphasis mine.

If that is what the RPG says, then that is in direct contradiction to what Sanderson said in MB1, ch 5: "Kelsier let the safe drop to the ground. Hazekillers weren't Allomancers, but they were trained to fight Mistings and Mistborn." Emphasis mine.

Perhaps as Mistings and Ferrings became more common, it is more likely that anyone you joins the ranks of the Hazekillers is now Misting/Ferring? As new law enforcers against rogue Allomancers only.

In the RPG, as in the books, the default Hazekiller is a non-Allomancer member of a minor Noble house. However, there's nothing to stop a Thug or Lurcher from grabbing a shield and dueling cane and fighting in a unit of Hazekillers - indeed, that would make it far more dangerous. Of course, Allomancers work for a lot of money, and they are less likely to take the near-suicidal risks associated with Hazekilling, in a pinch.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

I think mistings are definitionally not hazekillers, although mistings are frequently used to fight other allomancers. Hazekillers are specifically people who do not have allomantic powers but are trained and equipped to fight people who do.

Now, nothing is stopping mistings from working with Hazekillers. Though usually they don't seem to be mixed; when mistings are used against Vin or Kelsier, there's generally just a group of Lurchers, Coinshots, and Thugs with no Hazekillers. Killing hostile Allomancers is part of the job description of physical Mistings and Mistborn by default.

I just know there was a misting hazekiller in one of the short stories that came with the RPG release. I can't remember which metal it was, though I'm pretty sure it was one of the physical ones. Not a coinshot, though. (So, Lurcher, Tineye, Thug?)

Thug, probably. They seem to be the most commonly used misting for countering Allomancers. But the nomenclature that seems to be in use in the books would simply refer to him as a Thug instead of as a Hazekiller Thug, even though he probably has much the same equipment and training as a Hazekiller.

I guess mistings who don't have physical or external enhancement or internal mental metals or Atium/Electrum, and therefore no special advantage for fighting Allomancers compared to normal people would probably just be called Hazekillers, but except for Gnats they're simply too valuable for such high-casualty work compared to normal people who would be just as effective.

However, there's nothing to stop a Thug or Lurcher from grabbing a shield and dueling cane and fighting in a unit of Hazekillers - indeed, that would make it far more dangerous.

However, that wouldn't make the allomancer a hazekiller. We see misting assassins use hazekiller-esq techniques at various points throughout the series: Lurchers in particular use wooden shields to block coins, and those assassins at the start of MB2 used soundmakers in order to disorient Vin. They're still not called hazekillers. Indeed, when one thinks about it, if all it meant to be a hazekiller was to be trained to fight mistings and mistborn, then nearly all physical mistings and mistborn should be hazekillers. The books seem to strongly imply that being a hazekiller is incompatible with being an allomancer.

To use your example, while there is nothing to stop a pewterarm or lurcher from fighting in a unit of hazekillers, that wouldn't make them a hazekiller.

Just around the top of the head I think, the Vanishers conceal their aluminum protection under beanies and rich noblemen wear their's in the lining of their hats. Random-semi related idea. If you were wearing a suit made from Alluminum, a perhaps a better inert alloy, would your Allomantic pulses still be able to be picked up by a Seeker? Of course you could just go get a coppercloud, but if you're on a one man mission, keeping your Allomancy undetectable would be crucial.

Just around the top of the head I think, the Vanishers conceal their aluminum protection under beanies and rich noblemen wear their's in the lining of their hats. Random-semi related idea. If you were wearing a suit made from Alluminum, a perhaps a better inert alloy, would your Allomantic pulses still be able to be picked up by a Seeker? Of course you could just go get a coppercloud, but if you're on a one man mission, keeping your Allomancy undetectable would be crucial.

Here's a related thought. Kelsier thinks to himself that it's the metal on Vin is just barely detectable through the wooden door when she's listening in on him and Marsh in The Final Empire. If mundane objects prevent you from seeing the blue lines, would aluminum block them completely? Would you be able to wrap aluminum foil around metal objects on your person to prevent them from being detected and/or taken?

I've always assumed that's what would happen. I guess it's never been confirmed though. The best part about this is that it could protect metalminds. All you would need is a thin band not covered by aluminum, so you could access the power. A perfect way to protect yourself from Allomancers.

No 1. Defense -Hemalurgic spike :D

As soon as I read about aluminum being unaffected I could just see the foil hats coming, My problem is that in the next trilogy aluminum is going to be a LOT more common which could basically render Iron, Steel, Brass and Zinc completely useless unless someone can come up with a counter-counter.

Also, slightly irrelevant but on the topic of aluminum. Silver, BS mentioned in an annotation somewhere that it was allomantically inert I assumed this meant that it had no allomantic power but the term 'allomantically inert' is I think also used in AoL about aluminums ability to block Iron/Steel and Brass/Zinc, so can Silver do that too? or do you think that he meant that it differently in the annotation?

Ah thanks, I just remember that someone put that in the right up for a cage match with Kelsier and everyone got massively annoyed, then I thought about aluminum and realised they may actually be right. Is there a quote on that somewhere?

Indeed there is, straight from Peter's mouth

Silver is not Allomantically inert the way aluminum is. In that annotation, Brandon just meant that silver didn't do anything if you swallowed it and tried to burn it. It can be Pushed and Pulled. Years after Brandon wrote that annotation, what he means by "Allomantically inert" has changed.