People you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley

Voidus

1 hour ago, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

“Fair enough,” Kios said cheerfully. “Happy to help.” He stopped walking and turned to face Corenar. “What did you want to learn first? Bindpoints?” 

"Yes," Corenar said calmly. "I trust you have adequate knowledge of Hemalurgy?"

19 minutes ago, Coda said:

"Yes," Corenar said calmly. "I trust you have adequate knowledge of Hemalurgy?"

“Probably, depending on what you want to know.” Kios shrugged and tossed the piece of ice to the floor. Breaking off a new icicle, he twisted it in his hands, then grinned and looked at Corenar. “Okay, to start with, there are hundreds of bindpoints all over the human body.” He waved at the own form. “You’re not gonna know them all unless you use a coppermind or something - and there are unsealed copperminds existing, but getting ahold of them would be an annoyingly process for outsiders. But two main ones -“ the spike of ice now pointed directly between Corenar’s eyes, then wobbled from one to the other and back “- are the eyes. People don’t forget eye spikes.” He lowered his arm again. “All good so far?” 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

“Probably, depending on what you want to know.” Kios shrugged and tossed the piece of ice to the floor. Breaking off a new icicle, he twisted it in his hands, then grinned and looked at Corenar. “Okay, to start with, there are hundreds of bindpoints all over the human body.” He waved at the own form. “You’re not gonna know them all unless you use a coppermind or something - and there are unsealed copperminds existing, but getting ahold of them would be an annoyingly process for outsiders. But two main ones -“ the spike of ice now pointed directly between Corenar’s eyes, then wobbled from one to the other and back “- are the eyes. People don’t forget eye spikes.” He lowered his arm again. “All good so far?” 

"Yes," Corenar said. Obviously people wouldn't remember everything. Eyes were large, exposed, and accessible. Best to remember those. 

Eventually Voidus discovered the location of the coffee machine, it had taken a little tracking down and he'd been disappointed to find that Laurelai hadn't been in the department of Records when he'd checked, but no doubt she was still safe. He'd know if she wasn't wouldn't he?

His brow furrowed, eyes looking towards a nearby wall of stone as if to pierce through it with his gaze, but he relaxed a moment later. No need to be so intrusive on her daily life, she was likely out on a mission or with friends. Perhaps that one from Mac's department that he'd seen her with, Lita? He should really speak with her at some point.

The Alleys shifted around him once more leading to a nondescript Alley with a plain wooden door set into one of the walls. Voidus strode towards it, rapping on the hard wooden surface three times before opening it and entering inside.

"Excuse me, I'm in some need of caffeine." Voidus said with a tired smile as he turned to survey the interior of the room.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somewhere at sometime, but like definitely a time that was a while back. A really long while back.

Voidus rapped smartly on the door before letting himself in, it had been a day since he'd last seen the Professor but it looked as though the poor fellow had barely slept. he was already inside his office and practically leapt to his feet when he saw Voidus enter.

"Been keeping well?" Voidus asked conversationally.

"Lasers." The Professor replied confidently, slightly bloodshot eyes staring into Voidus'. "Antiphase with the ambient light to cause it to darken and then some form of Sisyphus cooling for the coffee."

Voidus gave a wry smile at that, not a bad guess all things considered. Though there were some astounding leaps of technology that would be required to perform something like that, let alone where he could actually hide all of these lasers.

"You know when I came to this world I was curious about the lack of Investiture." Voidus began. "It does make it even harder for you to understand probably, and harder for me to demonstrate. I could kill something I suppose but that's a little macabre."

Thinking to himself for a moment he gestured towards the chair that the Professor had been sitting on. He waited until both of them were looking at it before flicking his hand gently and sending a small mote of darkness towards the chair. As soon as it impacted, there was a sudden warping and the chair vanished in an instant.

"Now I suspect you probably still won't believe me until we actually get this started so you can see for yourself." Voidus said. "I don't need your money, I'm not asking you to join a cult or anything. I just need a little bit of your time."

The Professor was carefully examining the space where his chair had been, patting the ground and feeling around in case it was somehow simply hidden. But at last, with a somewhat defeated expression he turned back to Voidus and simply nodded.

"Fine, show me." He said.

"Excellent." Voidus replied, pulling out a small bag which he stared at with distaste. "Why don't we start by destroying some of my least favourite fruits in the multiverse."

Vivica looked up at the voice, realizing that she’d beed staring at the wall for... a while? Yes, it has probably been a while. She grinned at the newcomer, who looked a little familiar though she couldn’t quite place him. 

Another hallucination? She thought, looking up at Bennington. Well, it had been that kind of day. 

“Coming right up!” She sang as she poured water into the machine and pressed ‘START’. That done, she turned her full attention to the new fellow.

”Hello!” She chirped, twisting the coppermind ring on her finger and cataloguing this newest apparition for later review. “I don’t think I’ve seen you before. I’m Vivica, and this is Bennington.”

Vivica gestured to the octopus, who looped and gave the tall blonde a curious gaze. “Now, don’t be jealous - either one of you. There’s plenty of room for all of you.” She waved a finger at both in turn, grinning even wider and smearing her nose with more blood. Always more blood...

Edited by ZincAboutIt
Typo

Voidus nodded gratefully to Vivica as she turned the machine on. Her stare lingered a little as it ran over him, but she didn't seem to recognise him. That was always a relief, a chance to interact on a normal level for a change. If only for a short while before other business called him away, or someone told them who they were talking to.

He felt his tension deepen again at the thought, but a small shake of the head dismissed it and brought his attention back to Vivica He ran through a list mentally but didn't recall meeting her before, that wasn't exactly surprising given that she hadn't recognised him either. She definitely struck an interesting appearance, even as those in the Alleys went. Fully human as best he could tell, but that expression, the waves of metallic smelling blood drifting from her. She was definitely one of the interesting ones.

He follwoed her gaze as she addressed some other figure, but didn't see anything. Even with a brief flare of tin, a pulse of bronze and a peek into the cognitive realm. He eyed the empty space curiously.

Either something particularly special, or a hallucination, or just a lie? Some act to put people off guard or test them?

He felt his smile twist into genuine enjoyment, the first he'd had in some time now. And began patting pockets down until he finally retrieved something, a long silvery spike that certainly did not seem like it should be able to fit in the small breast pocket that he had pulled it from. Without hesitation he plunged it into a bindpoint just above the liver, narrowly avoiding several organs with expert precision.

He felt an intense rush of vertigo, as though he had just been thrust forward at great speed only to find that the ground wasn't moving. The mildly uncomfortable experience of having his perception of reality altered and then suddenly, clear as day he saw the octopus that was drifting about, watching Voidus curiously.

"An interesting use for these, we'll have to update records and suggest some further studies." Voidus muttered to himself as he examined the now-visible hallucination.

"Good day Bennington." He said. "Will you be joining us for coffee?"

Details of how this spike was obtained can be found in the DoR if anyone's curious.

Vivica cocked her head as she watched her newest hallucination spike himself with something she did not recognize. She blinked once, twice, thrice, then looked up at Bennington with a giggle.

”Bennington doesn’t do very well with coffee,” she said. “He’s always getting into trouble - aren’t you?

Bennington wiggled his tentacles, narrowing his eyes. Vivica raised an eyebrow at him. “Don’t you look at me like that.” She turned back to the new man. “Forgive me, I’ve been so rude,” she grinned apologetically. “Do you have a name? It’s ok if you don’t, that happens all the time. We can discover one together!”

With a cheerful ping! the coffee maker began dispensing a fragrant stream of black liquid into one of the cups.

”Did I already tell you my name? I did, didn’t I? Right?”

7 hours ago, Coda said:

"Yes," Corenar said. Obviously people wouldn't remember everything. Eyes were large, exposed, and accessible. Best to remember those. 

Kios began gesturing to different bindpoints and kept talking about where each was. 

I’m sorry, I’m tired tonight and still want to try writing some other stuff, but didn’t want to hold you up any longer. Just assume he talked about most common positions. 

Edit: cool spike 

Edited by Ookla the Roleplayer

"Vivica?" Voidus offered with a smile, he inclined his head slightly towards her. "You did. As for my name... well I've had a few, but discovering another couldn't hurt."

He was somewhat curious as to how the conversation would unfold, curious as to how this woman thought with such a unique view of the world. The spike helped with that of course, but all it did was allow him to perceive things in the same way as her, it wasn't quite the same as being able to read minds. He'd also have to remember to take it out before too long, they had some unpleasant side effects if left in for too long.

"I'm having trouble coming up wit any inspiration however." Voidus said. "Perhaps you could give me some ideas and we could work from there?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweat beaded on the Professor's face as he frowned in concentration. Voidus watched intently, eyes eager to see if this attempt would be successful. The air in the room was darkening ever so slightly, almost imperceptibly compared to Voidus' earlier displays, but it was enough to show the progress that had been made. And in the Professor's hand was an even denser patch of darkness, the concentration of the will that he was bringing to bear.

Without sound, the darkness suddenly vanished. Voidus raised a hand to clap on the Professor's shoulder in sympathy for the failed attempt when he noticed that half the pineapple that the Professor had been staring at had now vanished completely, leaving the other half rolling on the table, a small amount of juice leaking from within it. Voidus gave a smile and clapped the Professor on the back multiple times. With his other hand he absently waved towards the half-destroyed fruit, obliterating the rest of it.

"And there you have it." Voidus said, beaming from excitement. "Not completely yet, but I physical materials are always the hardest. But no point in starting off easy, jump in the deep end I say."

The Professor stood, panting, sweat still beading down the sides of his face. His posture slowly slumped as though about to collapse but he managed to hold his footing. He lifted his hands up to look at them, seeming to expect a feeling of wonder, or achievement or suspicion that he had somehow been tricked again. But instead all he felt was...

"Empty?" Voidus interrupted. "That'll happen, especially with something big like this. Not to worry, give it a bit of time and you'll be back to yourself."

"What if we kept trying?" The Professor said, tone unusually flat. He didn't seem too eager to actually continue, or too eager to do much of anything really.

"Well for one you probably just wouldn't." Voidus replied. "Lack of motivation to try and all that, but if you did then there's a good chance you'd deplete all of your willpower and eventually stop breathing."

Voidus' tone barely changed, he still held the same satisfied grin. But the words that he spoke hung ominously in the air, and even in his current lethargy, the Professor found himself shuddering.

"Why are you doing this?" He asked, a small amount of curiosity managing to creep its way back into his voice. "Why teach me this?"

Voidus gave the man an impressed stare, surprised that he could even muster the energy to wonder at the answer, let alone actually ask it.

"Well to put it simply, there's a problem I'm currently facing and it's not one I can deal with by myself." Voidus said. "So I'll need your help to deal with it, once you've learned a little more perhaps you'll be able to give me some ideas about it and we can work from there. The universe is going to be destroyed."

The Professor blinked, not seeming to be sure if this was a joke, or if he hadn't understood somehow. But staring at Voidus' still smiling expression he felt the reality of it hit him. Voidus was perfectly serious about this, this was no con or exaggeration.

"Shall we get some more coffee?" Voidus asked lightly. "I met a lovely Barista there last time, I do hope she's still there. The ability to make a good coffee I've found, is almost as rare as what I'm teaching you."

3 hours ago, Voidus said:

"I'm having trouble coming up wit any inspiration however." Voidus said. "Perhaps you could give me some ideas and we could work from there?"

Vivica nodded, then set the now-full cup of coffee on the break room table and swapped another one beneath the coffee maker.

"Of course I'll help you," she said, taking the pencil out from behind her ear and slipping her little notepad into her hands. She started jotting down names immediately, her bloodshot blue eyes flicking up to the new fellow and back down every few seconds. "There's any number of ways we could go about this, focusing on some of your more striking qualities."

Vivica looked up at Bennington, then pointed to a name she'd scribbled down. The octopus gave a little twirl and then moved over to circle the new apparition in  wide loops, getting a good look at him from all angles. As he did that, Vivica grinned at the man.

"Your height is quite impressive - definitely my tallest visitor to date. 'Stratos' could work for that, or we could go with something Alethi - those Alethi really are tall. I met an Alethi fellow once, wandered right into an Alley where I was walking. He had the most lovely violet eyes. I think... I think I might still have them somewhere..."

She chewed her lip for a moment, seemingly lost in thought, before the coffee maker sputtered a little. Vivica blinked, then swapped out another cup before continuing on. "We could, of course, go with all that nice blonde hair you've got there - almost silvery. One of the Earths has some lovely blonde mythological figures, I always liked those stories. Let's see... we could call you Finn, perhaps? Finn, who ate the Salmon of Knowledge and knew all that there was to know in all the world! Now, that would be a thing. Can you imagine? God-like knowledge? That would be amazing. You know there are actually a few people around here who are basically gods. I've never met any of them personally, though I guess one leads the R&D Department again so I should probably meet him at some point..."

Bennington continued to loop around the new man, moving closer.

"Of course, we could go with those eyes of yours - nice and black. Can't even see the pupil actually - that's rather fun, isn't it? Noctus, maybe? Or Nox? Or we could go with a Parshendi name, they've got those black eyes, all glassy like polished jet, aren't they? But then, I don't want to offend you - you're no Voidbringer, after all."

Vivica giggled, sneezed into her elbow, and swapped out another cup before beaming at the new man one more time.

"So," she said, clutching a cup of coffee before her face and taking a sip. "Any favorites?"

On 11/26/2019 at 11:33 PM, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

Kios began gesturing to different bindpoints and kept talking about where each was. 

Corenar filed the knowledge away in his mind. It made sense, though he'd have to verify this knowledge with another source. Trusting a person to not be wrong was like trusting a Denizen to not spike you. "I thank you."

Sorry for not responding earlier. Life is annoying. I assume Corenar now knows the bindpoints listed on the Coppermind.

A disturbance from his pocket distracted Voidus during the list of names that Vivica had begun musing about. He'd sagged a little at the mention of godlike entities but it seemed that Vivica didn't ascribe such qualities to him at least. That was something.

Reaching into the pocket he pulled a sleek silver pen out, the tip vibrating slightly as he held it indicating an Alleycant message. Those were rare, Mac usually dealt with anything that relied on such clandestine communications, Voidus usually needed to communicate through official channels and records in order to placate HR's endless demands for proof of compliance with every project. But then now that Mac had gone, perhaps it was someone from his department wondering who they were meant to report to.

"Nox struck me as intruiging." He replied to Vivica, allowing his hand to drop to one side as he received the message. "It's nice, simple. Easy to remember."

He paused, eyes narrowing as he stared at the air over Vivica's head. He payed closer attention as the message continued on, arriving at the expected request of who they were meant to report to, but it was the first part that had caught his interest.

Please repeat. Voidus signed back. Did you say they found Atium down there?

His other hand raised to his breast pocket once more, fishing around until it found a small ring of Aluminium. Tapping from the store there he also drew heavily on a goldmind, aligning his body with the new identity that he drew from the ring. The surface of his arms rippled, the skin bubbling and bulging out in a dozen different places. New appendagess began to sprout forth until there was barely anything left visible of his original arms.

Pens and spikes were past from one arm to the next until all two dozen or so held their own implements, each spinning rapidly from one finger to the next. Messages being sent out to various denizens to advise them, to field agents to begin preparing to enter the caverns, and to the Records department to see if there had been any similar findings previously, in addition to requesting the locations of both Lita and Laurelai. With all the communications happening simultaneously, one request for a status update should pass unnoticed.

"Not that I'm opposed to Finn either, and we do have so few Parshendi names around the place so perhaps there's some merit to that as well." Voidus said, continuing on the conversation without breaking further stride. One of the dozen hands raised a pen to his chin, tapping thoughtfully.

@ZincAboutIt

Vivica sipped her coffee and watched the man grow several sets of extra arms, passing spikes to his new hands and spinning them in a dizzying array of patterns.

"Nox," she said politely, "I had no idea I knew that much Alleycant. When did I learn all those words?" Then, she smiled. "You look a bit like Bennington now."

With a giggle, she picked up one of the other cups of coffee and put it into one of Nox's extra arms. "Now you can drink all the cups of coffee you want!"

Something in her pocket started to twitch, and she brought out her own Alleycant spike. There were several messages trying to get through now, and Vivica had never been great at Alleycant. Generally, people delivered their own memos to her. More often than not, people just left her alone to observe their experiments at all hours. It would have been lonely, she supposed, if she didn't have so much company.

"Let's see what this message is all about, Bennington," she mumbled, trying to muddle through the Alleycant transmissions. "Something...found... lower caverns - oh yes, I remember those - hmm... something valuable... an atrium? They found an atrium down there?"

Vivica cocked her head at Nox. "How do you think they got an atrium built down there all this time, Nox? That is rather a puzzle, though, I mean, no offense - but, well. It's hardly interdepartmental news, isn't it?"

She took another sip of coffee, then moved on to the next message. It was someone in R&D, asking about the Atium.

Vivica blinked. "Atium?" She looked back to Nox. "Do you think they found it in the atrium down there, Nox? It would just go to figure, wouldn't it? Where else would anyone put their Atium?"

@Voidus

"We remember a lot more than we think sometimes." Voidus replied with a smile, stowing one of the spikes and reaching out to accept the offered cup of coffee. "Perhaps it's the lack of sleep."

Not a frequent sleeper himself, Voidus had easily recognised the signs. Most likely she was a compounder abusing stores of Wakefulness to maintain consciousness. It was usually harmless enough for small periods of time, but spending years with no sleep was damaging to the brain, even without the added stresses of potential savantism. Judging from the looks of her it seemed that Vivica probably had progressed that far, the Investiture warping her body itself through constant use. Perhaps her hallucinations were a part of that.

"An atrium would definitely be one place." He said politely. "Arm bracers have also been common though. Or in a spike storage vial."

He took a grateful sip of coffee, relaxing as he felt the soothing warmth hit him. The perfect blend of alertness and comfort washing over him at the same time. His hands all paused for just a moment, taking the time to enjoy himself as he rarely did, before they began spinning once again in a dozen different conversations.

"If they did find it down there - in an atrium - what would you do? Would you be curious?" Voidus said, eyes watching his partner in conversation curiously.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So the universe-" The Professor began.

"Will be destroyed, yes." Voidus said, looking over the heads of others seated nearby and searching for someone. "Quite inevitable for all of you at the moment unless I manage to do something about it."

"And you need my help?" The Professor asked, eyes wide. "Why me?"

"Because you managed to do something that most people don't manage to do." Voidus said. "You accepted your death without embracing it and snapped into a power that few people do. And of those who do, almost none learn to successfully control it."

Finally spotting a nearby blonde Barista, Voidus looked over and smiled waiting as she made her way to their table and took their orders once again. As she walked away his eyes followed her before finally drifting back to the Professor.

"And the same thing happened to you?" The Professor asked, seeming to notice the attention that Voidus was putting on the waitress and frowning. "You nearly died?"

"Something like that." Voidus replied, waving a hand dismissively. "Not a very interesting story."

The two sat in silence as their coffee arrived, the Professor seeming to slowly perk up a little more as time passed. Recovering from the earlier lethargy and listlessness he'd experienced after their previous training. The coffee also seemed to help, both relaxing him and making him more alert at the same time.

"Something special about that waitress?" He asked, nodding his head as Voidus' gaze slipped once more.

"Everyone's special in a way." Voidus replied. "But she did seem interesting."

"You should talk to her then." The Professor said with a touch of irritation. "Better than staring creepily from across the store, and if the universe is doomed then might as well seize the day and all that."

"Perhaps I will." Voidus said with a grin.

The Professor watched as Voidus stood up and walked over to the blonde as she was making another coffee. After a minute of conversation they both began laughing at something and a moment later she wrote something down on a piece of paper and slid it across towards him. The Professor gave a tired smile but a frown still creased his brow, wondering if the universe was really about to end.

At the mention of sleep, Vivica felt herself flinch a little. She took another sip of coffee, and her hand shook a little as she gazed up at Bennington. The octopus curled and uncurled his tentacles in obvious agitation.

"Bronze is so useful that way," she said, her voice a little too bright, too cheerful. "Sleep n-never, never did me much good, back when I was... back when I lived..." Vivica lowered her voice to a whisper. "Outside the Alleys."

She stared down into her cup, the edges of her mind growing hot and smoky, the memories of fire leaking back into her brain like molten lead. Vivica did her best to breathe normally. "We don't talk about sleep, Nox," she whispered, and all the cheer was gone from her voice. Vivica suddenly looked as she truly ought to, a woman in her late twenties, ragged and covered in smears of dried blood, her eyes ringed in purple bags, the whites shot through with red vessels. There was a hollowness to her face, to her entire being, a hollowness that came from her and settled around her. A hundred apparitions floated through her mind, a host of phantom companions, but at her core Vivica was terribly, irrevocably, alone.

From a long way off, Vivica's shattered mind finally processed Nox's latest question. She blinked once, then took a sip of coffee. The barest whisper of a smile flickered on her face, like a match in a strong wind. Then, like a magnesium pop of glow, it caught. Vivica looked up at Nox again, her smile bright as a new spike.

"Blessed ovens yes! I'd be more curious than a Copper Ferring in a room full of pennies. Do you really think they found it down there? Atium?"

8 hours ago, Coda said:

Corenar filed the knowledge away in his mind. It made sense, though he'd have to verify this knowledge with another source. Trusting a person to not be wrong was like trusting a Denizen to not spike you. "I thank you." 

“You’re welcome,” said Kios calmly. 

Tbh I have no plans from here. We could fight a minor abomination if you want, or find someone else and you could spend time with a real character? Whatever works for you. 

Voidus' movement faltered again, ever so briefly, as he saw Vivica draw back into herself. The whisper of someone truly horrified of something, and the kind of thing that could horrify this woman must be something spectacular indeed. He inclined his head momentarily in apology but spoke no further about it, allowing her to move the topic on.

"I only know as much as you do." Voidus replied, giving her a small smile as her mood shifted back towards the exuberant. "But it certainly seems like it. Either that or someone is going to be in some serious trouble for a false report."

It was barely even a lie, truthfully he did only know a little more than Vivica, in this matter at least. He'd rather avoid lying too openly to someone like Vivica, someone who he could actually speak to genuinely, without a station or power hanging between them.

"I imagine they'll probably be sending people out to verify it shortly." He continued, quite sure of this since he'd just sent out the requests himself.

Voidus' hands began to slow, a few stopping entirely as less requests came back in. The DoCI was managing things itself now, even without Mac present they had plenty of organisational power to organise something like this. As his hands slowed, his smile began to fade as well. His mind flashed back to that brief, tortured face of Vivica. Nightmares? That too would be something they had in common. Sometimes the torture of a sleepless existence was still better than the torture of haunting memories returning to visit you while you dream.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A long, but not quite as long as previously time ago, in a galaxy still approximately as far away.

The Professor sagged in his chair as the candle in front of him extinguished itself once again, the small flickering light being invaded by encroaching darkness until it sputtered out. It was less tiring than it had once been, he'd managed to extinguish it several times now without feeling that complete sense of apathy that he had when he'd tried this before. Destroying solid objects as Voidus did still proved far too difficult to try without completely draining himself, but perhaps some day even that would be easier.

He smiled tiredly to himself, looking over towards the clock and frowning at it. Voidus was late, it had been a somewhat frequent occurrence lately. Too frequent for someone who claimed to be working to stop the end of the universe.

Finally the doors open and Voidus strode in, looking about cheerfully until his eyes latched onto the Professor's. Clapping his hands together, his eyes scanned the Professor up and down before nodding approvingly.

"Been practicing?" Voidus asked. "You're getting much better. It's a shame there's not enough Investiture in this universe to test against that, but other forms of energy are quite similar. Generally a little harder actually so I suppose it's better practice."

"You're late." Was the Professor's irritated reply.

"Can't blame a man in love can you?" Voidus said with a sly wink. "I mean the universe is ending and all that sure, but don't you all have a million books and movies about how love is the ultimate force or something?"

"You're the one who told me that this was urgent in the first place." The Professor reminded him. "And you still haven't told me what from exactly, or why teaching me this will help. Just let me practice by myself most days for weeks on end."

The Professor stood as he spoke, striding angrily towards Voidus before stopping mere inches from him and looming over as his voice grew steadily more irate.

"All in good time." Voidus said, letting off a dark but silent pressure to remind the Professor who he was speaking to. "You've been making good progress without me needing to coach you through every step, once you've had the basics down the rest has mostly been repetition anyway. Not a lot I can do to help with that."

Cowed the Professor backed himself towards his chair before slumping into it, but seemed to still have enough confidence to at least shoot an angry glare at Voidus once again.

"Fine." Voidus said, holding his hands up in mock surrender. "I'll give you a bit of explanation then, I suppose you're ready for it."

The Professor's eyes lost their hostility immediately, instead becoming laser focused on Voidus, ready to drink in any information he could possibly pull from the dark and mysterious figure that had come to dominate so much of his life recently.

"We draw things into the Void." Voidus began. "Unmake them, destroy them. Whatever you want to call it. We take something and turn it to nothing."

He saw the Professor nod in understanding, but also seeming a little confused at why they were starting back here, at a discussion of Voidmaking.

"Well, Voidmakers aren't the only ones unmaking things. Sometimes the Void itself takes something back into itself. Sometimes something small, a single person. But sometimes..."

"It destroys and entire universe?" The Professor asked, eyes wide and horrified. "But how could we possibly stop it by unmaking more things? Isn't that just accelerating it?"

"You see part of my dilemma." Voidus said. "It is possible to combat Voidmaking with another Voidmaking, but to stop the Void itself? It's not something I can manage on my own. I doubt two of us will have any better luck with strength alone, but perhaps we can figure out something a little cleverer. Find some core that its using to influence this universe?"

"You haven't been idling." The Professor realized. "You've been thinking, keeping relaxed but trying to come up with some solution. Because you don't actually know how to stop the universe from ending."

Voidus gave a solemn nod, letting the pressure in the room increase before breaking it with a sudden smile.

"And so we might as well relax a bit while we can. Are you free for dinner tonight? I was thinking I could bring Laurelai over to meet you and your partner."

Corenar left Kios in the Alley, seeking someone new to teach him the ways of Hemalurgy. 

It's alright, Ene. Don't overwork yourself trying to RP with a random stranger on the internet.

46 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Thank you for the reminder! Sorry about the delay. 

“It’s nearly calibrated now.

Spoiler

87E12AE3-0CA4-411E-BFF2-2293A505E174.thumb.png.1f19bb505740eed5c5b254e921d5b865.png

Or 2.”

Spoiler

C7036DF2-2502-4398-A875-C8B56CB03A0D.thumb.png.407c0def012fdff3e6c639d2eb3bcb62.png

As Grey spoke, the image on the wall changed, fuzzing for a moment, then changed again. He took it in stride. Cleary the previous test had been unnecessary.

”1.

Spoiler

53229950-8B4F-4D15-A53B-B4B68F893E1D.thumb.png.748fae68ed08b5758d318a2974c1c5e7.png

Or 2.”

Spoiler

AF60A0E1-8FEA-4790-8C08-4847A79159A2.thumb.png.1d8b1751cf955d92bc86f7c1fdf6c984.png

@Ookla The Narrator