Theory- Taln IS Taln

jefftucker0525

So we all know Brandon has hinted that Taln isn't really Taln. this has opened a lot of theories and speculation. Personally, im willing to admit I have no idea whats going on with that, but that's not gonna stop me from my own wild theories and speculations.

So heres what I think. Taln is Taln, but not entirely. Hes physically on Roshar, but the cognitive part of him is still trapped, leaking slowly into the physical realm. This could explain why he seems half crazy.

When the other 9 Heralds abandoned the Oathpact, the full might of the torture was shoved upon Taln. However, the Oathpact required that 10 places be filled. In order to fill this requirement his mind split into 10 separate pieces, one for each Herald, and only the one that was with his body actually went with him directly but the other 9 pieces of his cognitive self are wandering around Roshar because they were put in the 9 places the other 9 Heralds would have gone.

I'll admit this is a really out-their theory, but what if....

The biggest problem for this theory, I think, is a line from his POV interlude (I-7):

The Gift and words.  Not his.  Never his.  Now his.

This suggests to me that these things were transferred to him and he is not the original Taln.  If the Gift is the heraldic abilities, then he didn't have them before.  Now did someone else's mind get put into Taln's body?  Part of Taln's mind put into somebody else's body? I have no idea.

A minor issue is that Heralds seem to speak without accents.  This person apparently has a northern Alethi accent.  If you come back at distant intervals, it would be useful to not have to relearn languages. It has been theorized that Heralds have some trick involving the cognitive realm that gives them instant unaccented linguistic skills.

Edited by hoser

The biggest problem for this theory, I think, is a line from his POV interlude (I-7):

This suggests to me that these things were transferred to him and he is not the original Taln.  If the Gift is the heraldic abilities, then he didn't have them before.  Now did someone else's mind get put into Taln's body?  Part of Taln's mind put into somebody else's body? I have no idea.

A minor issue is that Heralds seem to speak without accents.  This person apparently has a northern Alethi accent.  If you come back at distant intervals, it would be useful to not have to relearn languages. It has been theorized that Heralds have some trick involving the cognitive realm that gives them instant unaccented linguistic skills.

Actually, at least once, Taln speaks perfect Alethi without an accent. 

Further, the Gift and the Words could refer to a shardblade. Gift = bond, words = once-ideal of a Knight Radiant. 

Don't get me wrong, I am in the fake Taln camp, but there ARE explanations. 

Edited by Savanorn

• Chaos locked this topic