My first time

Swifftalon

First Sanderson?  

1254 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your first Sanderson book/series?

• Mistborn (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages)
    • Stormlight (the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance)
    • Elantris
    • Warbreaker
    • The Rithmatist
    • Steelheart
    • Legion
    • The Emperors Soul
    • Other?

So... yeah, translations in this book aren't the best, but they don't suck either. Some of the words were translated, some others were not. "Stormlight" is indeed translated as "burzowe światło", but most of the time it is referred to as just "light", so "światło". I think that was a good decision made by the translator, because "burzowe światło" is indeed quite long :) For the other translation examples:

Shardblade = ostrze Odprysku

Honorblade = ostrze Honoru

soulcaster = dusznik (that's a strange one, but I got used to it pretty fast).

soulcasting = dusznikowanie

spren = spren :) As for the different types of spren their names are translated straightforwardly like windspren = wiatrospren

shardbearer = odpryskowy (that one is pretty cool)

Shattered Plains = Strzaskane Równiny (good luck with saying it out loud to any foreigner :D)

And there is one translation problem that I just HATE!:

Graves, the guy that is Moashes friend got translated to Grób. I really hate it when translators try to translate character names, and in this case it was even worse, because it sounded awfully unnatural in the narration and dialogues :/

Rock's name was translated too, in polish version he is called "Skała". It's not that bad, got used to it fast.

If you have any other questions about the polish version, I'd be happy to help :)

As for the cover of WoR I agree that it's bad... Someone that was designing it really didn't bother to read the book :(

Thanks!

Looks like translation is not that bad, and I actually think that "dusznikowanie" is pretty fine. I was worried that they translated "soulcasting" into some two-word phrase that would be way too long again (like "burzowe światło" is, which is simply funny ; D ), so although "dusznikowanie" is kind of weird it is still really all right. 

And it's good that "spren" stayed "spren" not some sort of "duszki" or other crazy stuff like that. :D

As for translating names, I am not against it. I am not a big fan of it, but "Rock" deserved to be translated, because this name was clearly supposed to mean a rock. But for Graves I don't think so. I actually considered it to be a normal name that just happened to sound as English "grave" therefore I'm really surprised someone decided to translate it. And it's sounds kind of stupid. I mean, who would ever work with a guy whose name means literally "grave"? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have long been a fan of the Lord of the Rings and had started reading Wheel of Time around the time Robert Jordan passed away. Dragonmount published a short review of Way of Kings that compared it to Lord of the Rings and the Wheel of Time, and I figured that any book that can be compared to both in the same sentence must be worth reading.  :)  I ended up reading the Mistborn series before Way of Kings and the rest is history. Mistborn is by far my favorite series so far, and I'm not sure any magic could eclipse allomancy and feruchemy on my list of favorite magics. I've been lurking here on 17s for a while and just decided to sign up a few weeks ago.

I read Steelheart, which was amazing, and then went about a year before getting back into Sanderson. I live in Utah and there was the Salt Lake Comic Con coming up. One of my other favorite authors, Brandon Mull, was doing a combined panel with Sanderson. I asked my friend if he knew who this guy was, and he freaked out about how amazing it was. A little while later, my friend got married to someone who loved Sanderson. When he heard that I was going to Comic Con and missed Sanderson (the line was too long), he forced me to check out every single book by him. I read Elantris next, then Mistborn, Warbreaker, Emperor's Soul, Rithmatist, and Stormlight Archive. I came back to Steelheart and read that in time to go to the pre-release party for Firefight. Now I can't stop with his books. I am into computer design, and have made a full-blown card game from scratch. Right now my friends and I are making 7-8 foot Shardblades. So, I suppose you could say that Sanderson has influenced my life. Now I am heavily invested (pun intended) in whatever he will put out from now on.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother got me to read the Mistborn trilogy after he had. He read it and basically said, "I have to talk to someone about this... PLEASE read it."

So I did. I love it. It was awesome. And then I read Alloy of Law. And it was awesome. But what really sucked me in was when I read the Ars Arcanum. I got to the end and went, "Huh? Cosmere? Investiture? Did I miss those words?"

Fortunately, I had the books on my Kindle so I did a search and (surprising no one here) those terms weren't in the book. Googlegooglegoogle... What? There's more?

Thus begain my reading addiction to Sanderson (and, I'll admit, a bit of a man crush).

Now I just eagerly await the next book and the next revelation while heavily geeking out over Cosmere theories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mom let me read her (signed!) copy of Elantris when I was in fifth grade. (I think I'd read Alcatraz before that, but I'm just counting his epic fantasy here.) I was immediately hooked and went on to Mistborn. I have to say I was a bit daunted by WoK but not for long- the Stormlight Archives is now probably my favorite Sanderson series (though it's really, really hard to decide!).

Then, one day, innocently looking through the Coppermind, I found something referencing the Cosmere. I looked it up.

And spent the next ten minutes lying on the floor, completely in shock.

I was converted to the Cult of the Cosmere and have spent the rest of my life trying to convert others. I have converted 3 people to date. There is one person who I have lost all hope for- she thinks WoK is boring and stopped after about the first chapter. I spluttered for a few minutes, then considered sending her to the Pits of Hathsin.

It didn't work, unfortunately...

Now I can be found lurking in dark alleyways with (definitely not spiked) cookies and copies of Elantris. Have a couple of each! They're good!

• 2 weeks later...

I was about 10, loved to read, and devoured just about any fantasy book that I was allowed close to. I was on the lookout for a good book, and noticed a small book called Elantris up on a top shelf. I managed to get it down, and started reading. In two days I had finished the whole thing. I put it down and went looking for my next book. The next week, I picked it back up and reread it. I took special note of the author's name, and went and begged my dad for more books by this author who had crashed into my life like a freight train of awesomeness. My father had read the book a long time ago, but forgot about it. Thanks to my urgings, he purchased the way of kings, read the whole thing, and then said I couldn't. He did purchase the alcatraz series though, which I enjoyed for many years until I was allowed to read mistborn 1, which had been purchased a while ago. I finished it, and begged my dad for books 2 and 3. He bought a boxed set, and I zoomed through them. I discovered Brandon's site, and eventually found a reference to the 17th shard, which I became a proud member of. I discovered the cosmere of my first visit, and basically just ran around the house screaming inarticulately about awesomeness. I have also listened to every episode of writing excuses. Now I can be found telling anyone and everyone who comes close to me how awesome Brandon Sanderson is. I have converted 2 people to date, one of which was last week, and have tried to convert hundreds. I have no cookies though. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I first stumbled over the Mistborn trilogy in early 2010, when the books were published in Germany. I had never heard the name Brandon Sanderson when I saw the first Mistborn volume in a book shop and read the summary on the back.

I was like "Uh, this sounds just like the typical 'kill the evil emperor' fantasy book". I bought it anyway and storms, I am so happy I did that. I immediately fell for it in the first chapter. It's just so much NOT the "typical" fantasy book, or rather, it is, but still something new and extraordinary.

Edited by Winds Alight

My first books were the Mistborn Trilogy. I work at a bookstore here in Spain and we had "El Imperio Final" (The Final Empire) in our shelfs but I never paid attention to it.

Really. Look at this piece of...
51OTfyXNXLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't know how I've got over my abersion for the cover (I know "don't judge a book by its cover" but, please go up and look at THAT again), but I really loved Mistborn, got Elantris (even being it out of print) and also loved it. Then I found about the Cosmere and the love went to obsesion.

P.S: Go up again... look at that cover. Can I cry?

Edited by Axies

My first books were the Mistborn Trilogy. I work at a bookstore here in Spain and we had "El Imperio Final" (The Final Empire) in our shelfs but I never paid attention to it.

I don't know how I've got over my abersion for the cover (I know "don't judge a book by its cover" but, please go up and look at THAT again), but I really loved Mistborn, got Elantris (even being it out of print) and also loved it. Then I found about the Cosmere and the love went to obsesion.

Wow. Suddenly, the very random and not so fitting German cover looks kinda sweet:

351_52336_88901_xxl.jpg

The title translates to "Children of the Mist". German publishers have a talent for changing the title in the translation and make something new, very unfitting. Book one of Mistborn was the best one ....

The title translates to "Children of the Mist". German publishers have a talent for changing the title in the translation and make something new, very unfitting. Book one of Mistborn was the best one ....

Yep Traduttore, traditore... Somtimes I don't know what are they thinking changing titles/names/covers... been doing some corrections on the spanish translate of the books... Stormlight Archives = Guerra de las Tormentas (Storm Wars) Y___Y

P.S: The German cover is not "that bad". It has nothing to do with the books but it's kind of 80' epic fantasy cover.

Edited by Axies

Nope, it really is not all that bad, but it hasn't only nothing to do with the books, it also looks very much the same as about 80% of German fantasy novels.

The titles are worse, though. THe best one so far was Elantris - they just left it the way it was, just like Steelheart  :lol:

The worst was the German title of Well of Ascension: "Krieger des Feuers" - Warrior(s) of fire. What warrior and what fire?  :huh:

Hero of Ages wasn't good, but at least made some sense: "Herrscher des Lichts" - Ruler of light.

And I never understood why Warbreaker became "Sturmklänge" (Storm Sounds). Meh.

My cousin made me read Way of Kings, about two years ago I believe. I did enjoy the first part, but I have to admit, she had to really force me to get through the middle. the Dalinar chapters KILLED me with boredom. Happy ending though- by the end of the book, I was hooked. (Mostly on Kaladin, because he's an amazing character who I relate with in a big way.) And then my cousin told me about the Cosmere and I just HAD to read the other books.

Way of Kings

I remember thinking, 'Wow, this is a big book, I doubt I'll get all the way through it.' I started reading, and had a hard time putting it down. I thought that being so long, it would be stuffy and boring, but I was so wrong. Sanderson is one of the best authors in the world, and his writing is just incredibly engaging.

Sometime later, I met Silverblade5 on another forum. He introduced me to the Cosmere, and it just spiraled out of co trip from there

I just finished Hero of Ages, and have yet to read Warbreaker or Alloy of the Law. I plan on taking a short break, and reading some of the shorts and novellas.

Wow, I got to admit that I wouldn't have bought that book without strong recommendation! :blink:

Mistborn (translated as Sons of the mist in French) also was my first Sanderson’s book, thanks to my librarian who strongly advised it to me. At that time, a friend of mine was reading “The name of the wind” and both of us claimed to have found THE fantasy novel of the year ... we still haven't settled that argument years later :P

Edited by Moonskin

Please tell me if kilometers of text are not liked here, and I'll try and cut this message.

Seems it's uncommon here, but I started with spoilers on Warbreaker, specifically on Lightsong's character, who seemed very funny, and his relations with Blushweaver, and the "god who doesn't believe in himself" idea, and also "gods get themselves perfect bodies, so every goddess is buxom as hell". And many others.

Then I read it and I totally love it. Funny characters, many unique ideas and twists, all those "inversion" plots (I also liked Elantris "triangular" structure, but less so), and action, and characters again - for me, interesting characters are the first and most favourite part of virtually anything.

So, after Warbreaker I went to read Elantris - it's an earlier work, and it feels so. It's good, it's consistent, but it does at times feel marysue-ish. Like, how come Raoden was the only person to actually understand that you can grow the seeds that everyone has? Why didn't anyone organize it right from the start, before people started getting mad from pain? (Charisma overload allowing him to accomplish anything, that I can imagine.) Every person they meet has some skills they need right now? Still, it's an interesting book, original, with sympathetic characters, and a cool way to resolve conflict.

After that chronologically comes Mistborn, which is a great book.. Actually no, it isn't. It's a great series of books, but that makes it.. a bit longer to read. Also, only the first book has been published in my native language, and some people don't know english good enough to read fantasy, and while I still recommend TFE, the story might lack closure for them. And, while Elantris has been translated, Warbreaker hasn't, and it fills my soul with sorrow to see no progress for 7+ months on last 1/3 of a book that I read in 2 days, including occasional food and sleep.
Probably, my sense of humour gives additional experience - I cannot help but laugh when heroes think what to do with enemy's army - and a second one appears. And when they decide to stall them against each other... Someone immediately discovers a THIRD one! Not sure if it's supposed to be this funny. (And those notes about hemalurgy being "messy"?)

After Mistborn I nearly got to Cosmere's next (chronologically, dismissing warbreaker) .. doorstopper. Is it me, or does every next book become larger than the previous? Better sidestep and read the Reckoners. I'm one of those people who liked these 2 books, because they liked David's metaphors. I also love my own - they are not as original as his, but I keep pride in them.
Now I've opened Alcatraz.. It seems to me that the author's main criteria for "younger audience" are "less pages" and "First person narration" - can't tell if there are other differences.

Going to read other books later. (Well, everything I can get.)

As much I wasn't super fond of the Wheel of Time Cycle (I think I skipped most of... was it Path of Daggers or Crown of Swords. Basically, he goes there, conquers that city, goes here conquers someother city the whole book. The end was of the book was okay, I just skipped most of the chapters up to that point), I still was curious enough to push through them to find out how it ended.  Then Brandon Sanderson took over, publishing The Way of Kings around the time of the first of his WoT books was released. I read the Way of Kings then, and quite enjoyed it. It was then years later, once the Wheel of Time books were all complete, that I decided to reread The Way of Kings, as I remembered it being a good book, and I was curious as to if it had a sequel yet. I probably came across the 17thshard at that point, but didn't really investigate it much. I think I might then have read The Final Empire, lurked for a bit, and then joined the forums around the time of the Shardhunt to find out more stuff about Words of Radiance.

I ran across brandon via writing excuses ! (I'm a fan of howard taylor). Additionally, I live in provo, which means brandon fans are everywhere. I think I borrowed Elantris from a roommate, but I know of a number of places I can get his books. Notably NOT the public library. the provo library has five or more copies of most of his books and most the books are on hold at any given time. 

• 2 weeks later...

My sister gave me Way of Kings last September. I got Words of Radiance on Christmas, started reading it at 12(AM) and finished at 6:30 AM. The reason I was able to get WoR was because I had received an amazon gift card for my kindle, which I then used to buy all others.

Elantris was my first.  I was going on a plane trip and my usual custom is to pick up a new book for the ride.  I was wandering around B&N when I saw this book, Elantris, perched on the shelves.  While the art was kind of generic, I glanced at the prologue and *really* liked the idea of a city of dying gods.  So I picked it up.

Never looked back.  As soon as The Final Empire was on the shelves I devoured it, along with every Sanderson book that has since been released. 

I still remember after reading The Final Empire, I sent Brandon an e-mail gushing fanboy praise.  A couple of weeks later I got a response, along with the first *four* chapters of Well of Ascension.  That blew my mind and made me a fan for life.

A bunch of my online friends (long story involving homeschooling and online class providers) were into Sanderson, mainly Mistborn and Way of Kings. I did some reading on Amazon but wasn't really interested beyond a slight "oh cool, fantasy that my friends like" sort of thing. Then, I don't remember how exactly, I borrowed the e-book of Steelheart from my library. I was hooked. I read Mitosis right after, waited like 3 months for Firefight, found Elantris not on hold one time while I was at the library, freaked out when all three Mistborns and Way of Kings came in as e-books, read Warbreaker...today actually (a bit more--mature than I'd have liked, but great overall), and now I'm waiting for Words of Radiance. Because while it'd be great for...wait, minor spoilers for WoK and apparently I can't figure out how to do a spoiler tag. So nvm. xD