On adding art

Firesong

What exactly is the protocol for adding art to the wiki? Shuravf has a ton of arts she made for Cosmere that are not on the wiki yet, and it says that we have a license for everything except Commissions. But I am not sure how to go about the other stuff like notifying them and all of that. I don't have Twitter or Tumblr or anything, and don't really plan to get either. Would somebody who does be able to go through the Twitter page and get the images and notify her of the uploads and such? I feel a lot of them would be good on character pages and such.  I am also a big fan of her style and like having a place where all her cosmere art is gathered.

If her page says we can upload anything, have fun. 

If you haven't uploaded images before, the art template has a couple of magical options, maybe start with a handful of files and have someone review them just in case? 

58 minutes ago, Argent said:

If you haven't uploaded images before, the art template has a couple of magical options, maybe start with a handful of files and have someone review them just in case? 

I have downloaded the ones in question, just need to upload them now. I got one uploaded, if you can check if I did it right. Got two down now. 

Edited by Firesong

Looks good overall, just a few minor notes:

• the book parameter is for standalone books (or sometimes when the image depicts a specific scene from a specific book... haven't quite gotten the use case ironed out)
  • generally we try to be more specific with the series parameter, and not say "Cosmere"
  • the line where it says |type={{cat tag|Character images|Art}} is meant for you to pick the category (or categories) to file this under; in the case of character art, it would be just |type={{cat tag|Character images}}
  • try to include a short description of what's on the image, preferably with links to relevant pages, so people can use the What links here feature to find images of a certain thing
  • the unofficial file naming convention is <subject> by <artist>, so MeLaan by Shuravf.jpg, for example. If you need additional qualifiers, you can add them to the subject, e.g. MeLaan Card by... or MeLaan Portrait by... 

I am going to fix these two uploads, so you have a template to look at.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:09 PM, Argent said:

How about White Sand items?

I'm currently working on the White Sand Summary and wondered if we had permission from Dragonsteel/Dynamite to use the "Khriss's Notes" Pages (I saw that the new Dayside Map was already uploaded). 

I was thinking, possibly, of a paired White Sand/Epigraphs (style) and White Sand/Interior Art pages to go with the summary, where:

• "Epigraphs" (or a better name) would have the text transcribed (like SA Epigraphs) and link to the Omnibus Art Page in White Sand/Interior Art
Spoiler

Timekeeping
Even though Dayside and Darkside both call the same duration of time a "day," their accounting of minutes and hours differ.

Daysidedivides one day cycle into fifteen 90-minutes hours. A Darkside day is twenty-four 60-minutes hours. In other words, a 90 minute Dayside hour equals 96 Darkside minutes. 

This would also allow me to use notes in the summary directed at the apporiate entry from Khriss' Journal. Example:

Spoiler

Duchess Khrissalla is repairing a Dayside pocket watch to prove that the Dayside timekeeping differs from Darkside hours and minutes.[1]

Where the [1] note at the bottom would point to that Timekeeping entry

Yeah, I also really want to get the updated map up there as it made a few changes to canon, and it is a lot prettier than the og. Like, we have the Spanish version up, but not the English, it seems. We also would benefit from getting images of the different Lak, to add to the Lak table. 

19 minutes ago, Firesong said:

Yeah, I also really want to get the updated map up there as it made a few changes to canon, and it is a lot prettier than the og. Like, we have the Spanish version up, but not the English, it seems. We also would benefit from getting images of the different Lak, to add to the Lak table. 

I have those images prepped. I just didn't want to start uplodaing anything until I was sure we had permission.

Uploading the full pages is gonna be a no-go (except for maybe the map; we can talk about that one). That said, we do have Isaac's permission to upload partial images where appropriate. So, for example, cropping the Elisian clock, Dayside clock, and coinage table from the Timekeeping page - for the purpose of including them on the Elis (or maybe Darkside) and Lossand (or maybe Dayside) pages - that seems fine to me. 

At least for the first few images I urge you to check in with me directly (I prefer Discord, but this forum is fine too) so we can make sure our ducks are all in a super neat row - and then can move forward with more. 

1 minute ago, Argent said:

Uploading the full pages is gonna be a no-go (except for maybe the map; we can talk about that one). That said, we do have Isaac's permission to upload partial images where appropriate. So, for example, cropping the Elisian clock, Dayside clock, and coinage table from the Timekeeping page - for the purpose of including them on the Elis (or maybe Darkside) and Lossand (or maybe Dayside) pages - that seems fine to me. 

At least for the first few images I urge you to check in with me directly (I prefer Discord, but this forum is fine too) so we can make sure our ducks are all in a super neat row - and then can move forward with more. 

I am fine with the full Ars Arcanum not being uploaded (albiet annoyed, but its fine), but we definitely do need the map. Especially given that we already have it on Coppermind, just, in Spanish. Which, while not a big downside to me as I speak the language a bit (not enough to edit the Spanish wiki, before you offer), it doesn't fit on the English site. 

But also, good that we are allowed to include partials, so that we can complete things like the Lak page, which lacks the Lak images.

9 minutes ago, Argent said:

5 minutes ago, Firesong said:

I am fine with the full Ars Arcanum not being uploaded (albiet annoyed, but its fine), but we definitely do need the map. Especially given that we already have it on Coppermind, just, in Spanish. Which, while not a big downside to me as I speak the language a bit (not enough to edit the Spanish wiki, before you offer), it doesn't fit on the English site. 

But also, good that we are allowed to include partials, so that we can complete things like the Lak page, which lacks the Lak images.

Here are examples I had prepared:

Spoiler

64caa2b5aec67_SandlingExcerpt.jpg.dafa8b34e28de1aad4b2deda5835c03b.jpg

Lak_Gray.jpg.f875facb7f9e1efc5ae79ca368bd21a1.jpgEach Color. . . 

64caa2b4979e9_Coinageexcerpt.jpg.af2e7fe4da14ad4f0a41e4d3c0a627a2.jpg

(Basically I was already dismantling the images for my ebook version because the text is unreadable on a device smaller than a PC - so I've been transcribing the text into epub css and using the excerpt images to "float" left and right around the transcribed text)

Edited by Treamayne
Postscript

4 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Hide contents

64caa2b5aec67_SandlingExcerpt.jpg.dafa8b34e28de1aad4b2deda5835c03b.jpg

Lak_Gray.jpg.f875facb7f9e1efc5ae79ca368bd21a1.jpgEach Color. . . 

64caa2b4979e9_Coinageexcerpt.jpg.af2e7fe4da14ad4f0a41e4d3c0a627a2.jpg

(Basically I was already dismantling the images for my ebook version because the text is unreadable on a device smaller than a PC - so I've been transcribing the text into epub css and using the excerpt images to "float" left and right around the transcribed text)

I am not sure if we should keep the page background in the table, edit out the background to just be the coin, or to just upload the entire in-work table instead of a wiki table. 

2 minutes ago, Firesong said:

I am not sure if we should keep the page background in the table, edit out the background to just be the coin, or to just upload the entire in-work table instead of a wiki table. 

I have some additional tools, I can remove the sand background from teh small lak pieces (and possibly from the full table, I'll have to test it). But if you recreate the table in the Wiki, then you only need the lak images. . .

Just now, Treamayne said:

I have some additional tools, I can remove the sand background from teh small lak pieces (and possibly from the full table, I'll have to test it). But if you recreate the table in the Wiki, then you only need the lak images. . .

The biggest part was just wondering if we should use the AA Table as an image, or keep using the WikiTable. 

4 minutes ago, Firesong said:

The biggest part was just wondering if we should use the AA Table as an image, or keep using the WikiTable. 

Por que no los dos?

If we use the WikiTable on the Lak Page and we get a thumbs-up for an interior art page with some extracts, then the lak page can have a link to the image there. . . 

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Reveal hidden contents

These seem okay to me 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2023 at 4:51 PM, Argent said:

These seem okay to me 

The first draft of Khrissalla's Journal is complete - with all of the art snippets uploaded and posted. Please let me know if any of them need to be removed as being beyond what we have permission to post. I still need to do a pass for image-placement/flow and a pass to make sure the first instance of each term is linked (and possibly remove links in the Glossary for things that won't have a page and/or find a suitable alternative). However, feedback is appreciated (typos especially) so I can have that in mind when I start those reviews in a few days. Now, I'll do the first review of the Omnibus Summary and make sure that items that had no link, but now have entries in the Journal, are properly linked.

Thank you all very much for your time and consideration. Have a great day.

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

The first draft of Khrissalla's Journal is complete - with all of the art snippets uploaded and posted. Please let me know if any of them need to be removed as being beyond what we have permission to post. I still need to do a pass for image-placement/flow and a pass to make sure the first instance of each term is linked (and possibly remove links in the Glossary for things that won't have a page and/or find a suitable alternative). However, feedback is appreciated (typos especially) so I can have that in mind when I start those reviews in a few days. Now, I'll do the first review of the Omnibus Summary and make sure that items that had no link, but now have entries in the Journal, are properly linked.

Thank you all very much for your time and consideration. Have a great day.

The images look good, I think they are well cropped to just what is topical, so that's great. It's actually the text that seems a bit much to me - we put the epigraphs there verbatim, but this feels like a lot more copyrighted material. My intuition is that it's better to use the contents of the journal to update the appropriate pages (e.g. Taldain's, or Dayside's, etc), and use this page as more of a hub or reference page that includes brief summaries of all the journal pages, and then sends the reader to different places for more details. 

We'll discuss and get back to you.