Uses for Vasher's Divine Breath? (Warbreaker/WoR spoilers)

TheBrian

This is something I have been pondering for a while.  

1. As a returned, Zahel/Vasher/Warbreaker has the ability to heal someone in a major way.
  2. He is on Roshar, where serious stuff is happening and such healing might be necessary.
  3. Knights Radiant don't need divine breath to heal themselves, just a little stormlight.
  4. The Regrowth Surge seems to make this major healing ability superfluous for others... 

So what does everyone think?  Will Zahel use his breath to heal someone?

Possible uses:

• Heal a "dead" spren - possibly Adolin's blade
  • Undo a curse from the Nightwatcher - e.g. fix Dalinar's memory or Taravingian's empathy
  • Restore sanity to a Herald - Jezrien or Taln
  • Give a huge power boost to Nightblood (crazy idea: could type 4 awakened objects be made using divine breath instead of normal breath?)

I always felt this was a possibility as well. After all, wasn't Vashers first appearance in the original Way of Kings and Brandon wrote him a backstory afterwords? (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Because of this, I always felt Stormlight and Warbreaker are closely linked more so than other works would be. Eg. Nightblood

I really can't see Vasher using it, as Moogle said, it'd be too much of a crossover. For those that only read the SA, Nightblood would just seem like a very strange spren/shardblade who talks about the past too much and acts like a giant-sword puppy...

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see some (limited) Awakening (since I honestly can't see Vasher not having some emergency Breath in case he's in a tight bind or he doesn't have access to Stormlight. Returned have to be pragmatic like that to stay alive on other worlds...even on worlds where they have a seemingly unlimited supply of Investiture). I think though that the crossover-y stuff that he does will either seem to fit into Roshar (for those who are not Cosmerically aware) or that they will be subtle enough that many readers won't even notice them until they've reread the book a few times...

I always felt this was a possibility as well. After all, wasn't Vashers first appearance in the original Way of Kings and Brandon wrote him a backstory afterwords? (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, that's pretty much it...

Edited by Nymp

This is something I have been pondering for a while.  

1. As a returned, Zahel/Vasher/Warbreaker has the ability to heal someone in a major way.
  2. He is on Roshar, where serious stuff is happening and such healing might be necessary.
  3. Knights Radiant don't need divine breath to heal themselves, just a little stormlight.
  4. The Regrowth Surge seems to make this major healing ability superfluous for others... 

So what does everyone think?  Will Zahel use his breath to heal someone?

Possible uses:

• Heal a "dead" spren - possibly Adolin's blade
  • Undo a curse from the Nightwatcher - e.g. fix Dalinar's memory or Taravingian's empathy
  • Restore sanity to a Herald - Jezrien or Taln
  • Give a huge power boost to Nightblood (crazy idea: could type 4 awakened objects be made using divine breath instead of normal breath?)

But wouldn't healing someone kill him? It would need to be something major for him to sacrifice himself for. I love your ideas, but I do not know if we are going to see as much from Zahel... Although I do think we may see some Awakening, probably to save someone.... I wonder if he could indeed "fix" a dead spren with it, the same way he created Nightblood....

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think Vasher will use his breath until Brandon publishes the 2nd book tentatively called Nightblood. After that though, I see no reason as to why Vasher would not use his breath. Immortality can really be a burden 

Edited by Sirscott13

Do you speak from experience?

of course. 

jk. No I just am inferring that based on what I have seen in other sources of fiction as well as my own personal feelings towards the matter. I do not think I would enjoy outliving my loved ones, or having to mentally capacitate the many many years I live. If human nature is to resist change immortality must really bite. Extended life I would take, but immortality I would not

• Chaos locked this topic