Has a book ever ruined music for you? Or vice versa?

Reiyeka

I really enjoyed the book cheating discussion and wanted to dig deeper into everyone’s reading habits! So here goes…

Have you ever put on music while you are reading? Are you able to read with background noise at all or do you need silence to concentrate? (I did find an old thread about this)

But the real meat of my question is this:
Has music ever ruined a book for you? Or alternatively, has a book ever tainted a piece of music? Has reading + music ever yielded a positive outcome?  

A long time ago, I had to read The Governor-General’s Lady as summer reading for a Caribbean History class. It’s set on the island I grew up and is about a woman in the midst of a slave revolt. I read the book while listening to the Stone Temple Pilots album, Shangri-La Dee Da, on repeat on my walkman. It ruined the album for me. At the time I really liked it, but when I tried to listen to it afterwards all I could think about was slavery. I swore never to do that again. (Tried to listen to it while writing this up, mind still making very weird connections…)

But then a few months ago I read the Mistborn trilogy. I blitzed through them over about 3 weeks, in really long sessions at home. I don’t have trouble reading with loud noises and ruckus going on so I’ll let my boyfriend play music while I’m reading since it doesn’t bother me. He’ll play a mix of different things so nothing ever sticks. During my Mistborn read, however, he had these two indie albums on loop (Bombay Bicycle Club’s So Long, See You Tomorrow and Land of Talk’s Some Are Lakes). When I finished the books, every time I heard the music all I could think of was Vin and Elend (especially with the first album since there are male and female vocals). I started listening to it on my own because I wanted to think of the books. I don’t know if Mistborn ruined the music, but it is a positive connection. If anything I like the music more because of it.

I can't say I've ever had music ruined from reading a book at the same time or vice versa, but years ago I read this Harry Potter fanfic (yeah, I'll admit to it) that would include snippets of song lyrics from some Radiohead songs on The Bends album.  (The fanfic author would start off a chapter with those because they fit with the mood.)  To this day, I associate Radiohead's The Bends with Harry Potter, even though the story was set in the time of Lily, James and the Marauder's time at Hogwarts and not at all in the time period of the series itself.

I tend to either read with music on (at work), the television on (at home) or with total quiet.  But then, I do a LOT of things with music on, mostly at work.  I'm the sort of person that can have it on in the background and it actually helps me to focus.

If anything, I associate music more with seasons.  There are definitely albums I've got that are "Summer" listening and others that are for colder times.  I think that has more to do with when they came out or when I bought them.  Nothing to do with reading a book, but still a weird association!

When I read Twilight, many years ago, I was listening to a particular album on loop (I don't remember exactly what it was). A year or two later I heard one of those songs again and immediately thought of Twilight. The sad thing was, I liked the book when I first read it, but had since changed my mind. So that memory was surprising and not particularly pleasant.  :wacko:

To this day, I associate Radiohead's The Bends with Harry Potter, even though the story was set in the time of Lily, James and the Marauder's time at Hogwarts and not at all in the time period of the series itself.

When I read that the jutebox in my brain put on Airbag from OK Computer and Lily and James came to mind more easily over Harry and the crew. Works with The Bends, too. I would say I'd associate Radiohead more strongly with the Marauders era, but its hard to control that works. I listen to music while I work, too. I usually choose the tempo based on how much "in the zone" I want to be. I'll also put music or tv on when I'm doing chores or fixing dinner, I might go slower but it feels like it goes by faster.

Hmm, seasonal mixes. Is it more depressing songs in the winter and happier in the summer? Haha. That probably has an effect on me as well but I'd never thought of it until now. I guess yours is more a memory of the season you acquired the music rather than the type.

When I read Twilight, many years ago, I was listening to a particular album on loop (I don't remember exactly what it was). A year or two later I heard one of those songs again and immediately thought of Twilight. The sad thing was, I liked the book when I first read it, but had since changed my mind. So that memory was surprising and not particularly pleasant.  :wacko:

Oh no, what changed your mind on Twillight? I haven't read the books and I've only seen the first two movies so I don't know a whole lot about the series. Had it been so long that you just changed your tastes? I think I change my mind more when it comes to music over time than books.

Oh no, what changed your mind on Twillight? I haven't read the books and I've only seen the first two movies so I don't know a whole lot about the series. Had it been so long that you just changed your tastes? I think I change my mind more when it comes to music over time than books.

It's partly time, but mainly that when I first read it I was all 'ooh hot sparkly vampires' but as it grew in popularity the criticisms grew too and I found myself agreeing with them, once I actually stopped to think. Mainly that a century old vampire and a 17 year old girl is not a healthy relationship, especially since Edward does things like watches her sleep for months (initially sort of romantic but when you think about it SO CREEPY), and they literally cannot function without each other. I've only seen the first movie so I don't know how they did New Moon, but in the book Edward leaves, and Bella literally spends 9 months or so doing NOTHING (indicated by pages completely blank except for the name of each month alone on every second page)and then begins 'recovering' by pulling ridiculously risky stunts so she can have a near-death experience and somehow see Edward that way....

I should stop hijacking this thread, but PM me if you want to discuss :)

Edited by Delightful

It's partly time, but mainly that when I first read it I was all 'ooh hot sparkly vampires' but as it grew in popularity the criticisms grew too and I found myself agreeing with them, once I actually stopped to think.

Ah yes, I'd say with music, songs are usually short and easy to revist or run into again. I don't know how often other people revisit books, but I don't really unless I'm confronted with it being popular or adapted for a TV show or movie. Like you said criticisms came along with that for Twillight (will be PMing, hehe). Apart from discussing it with other people, like on here, I might think of something I've read from time to time but the memory stays preserved if there's no outside influence. :)

I can't focus well with lyrical music when I read. I never could study with music on. I find myself distracted or overloading the language processing center of my brain.

Music has been ruined for me by knowing too much about artists/performers. It's hard for me to like a song if its performed by a jerk. I think this can happen with actors on screen also.

I've never "fan"Ned out on an author before. So far, Sanderson's input has enhanced my experience. Phew! If anyone told me that one day authors would become my rock stars, I'd have said they were crazy. But rock on, Sanderson.

Edited by Tien'sPetLurg

Song: Space form Something Corporate

Book: Ender's Game

Now I can experience one without thinking of the other.  I will actually start humming the song while reading because It is so stuck there.  

Its funny because I listened to many other songs at the same time but I think it was because the song was about space and the book was too.  

I've never "fan"Ned out on an author before. So far, Sanderson's input has enhanced my experience. Phew! If anyone told me that one day authors would become my rock stars, I'd have said they were crazy. But rock on, Sanderson.

Yes, yes, yes! Totally agree. Before Sanderson, the only other author I really took interest outside of just reading the work would be the YA author Scott Westerfeld. Even though I was a little older, I had a lot of respect how he communicates with younger readers and supports young writers. Sanderson also seems to have a good rapport with his fans and is very open with his insight on the craft of writing. Mad respect, would love to meet him someday.

On music and musicians, yes, it is hard to separate sometimes. I usually just refuse to believe it when I love the music, but in the back of your mind you are like..."ahhh, but he's a jerk...nooo!" Sometimes I don't even like knowing what the musicians look like, because, well, I never want to have to admit that I picked up an album because I thought the vocalist was cute. Haha.

Song: Space form Something Corporate

Book: Ender's Game

Hadn't heard the song, so I gave it a listen and yeah the word "space" does get repeated in the chorus so I can see how that would reinforce the connection. It also has a bit of a rebellious rock sound that fits with the story. Very interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to read at silence, because busy music or talking really take away my concentration. Ambient music is probably not that big of a deal when reading, but even so, reading in perfect silence or to the sound of raindrops hitting the window and walls is just the best for me.

I don't really have any negative or positive book emotions attached to music - that's because I rarely read when there's music playing in the room. That being said, there sure are songs that remind me of good or bad times.

I prefer to listen to classical music while studying and to easy-listening music when I read books. Bands like Matchbox 20, Coldplay, Lily Allen. Bands that have soft voices and instruments, it allows me to immerse myself better into the book and if I want to remember the books I have read I just re-listen to the songs and let the memories flow.

I prefer to read at silence, because busy music or talking really take away my concentration. Ambient music is probably not that big of a deal when reading, but even so, reading in perfect silence or to the sound of raindrops hitting the window and walls is just the best for me.

I don't really have any negative or positive book emotions attached to music - that's because I rarely read when there's music playing in the room. That being said, there sure are songs that remind me of good or bad times.

Ah yes, raindrops on the window might be the ideal reading situation, with a warm beverage within arm's length. :) Noises can be distracting for sure, especially talking, since has an unpredictable pattern. I'd say I'd prefer ambient patter>silence>gentle music>talking>dubstep? (I haven't tried reading to it, but I imagine that might be especially hard, haha)

I prefer to listen to classical music while studying and to easy-listening music when I read books. Bands like Matchbox 20, Coldplay, Lily Allen. Bands that have soft voices and instruments, it allows me to immerse myself better into the book and if I want to remember the books I have read I just re-listen to the songs and let the memories flow.

Oooh, nice. Classical and instrumental music does seem like a good choice for studying. It guides you to continue, if its too silent I might let my mind wander on its own. Good easy listens, would be very relaxing to read to those. Although Lily Allen might be too lyric driven for me to concentrate. She does have a lovely voice, though. 

• Chaos locked this topic