Interdimensional Battle Hub

PyroPhile

On 6/24/2023 at 9:41 PM, PyroPhile said:

The book flipped to another page, where three options appeared:

Contender

Environment

Construct

The fool tapped their chin. An interesting set of prompts, though what exactly they wanted out of them, they were unsure. Was it for navigation, were selecting an option would bring them somewhere else to choose their 'contender,' 'environment,' or 'construct' (whatever that last one meant)? Or did it want the fool to fill in the blanks themselves, requesting a specific example of one of those three?

They decided to try the simpler question first and circled "Contender" with their quill and let the book do it's thing- if it does anything, of course.

In the meantime the fool began to wonder. A dangerous thing for many others, but the fool had practiced long and hard in order to separate themselves from their wonderings (as to not be disappointed when reality kicked back in, as it always did). Who else was here? They had requested other contenders but... they saw no one else around to contend with.

Or did they?

They squinted their eyes and looked around at the nothing around them. Perhaps some silhouettes were visible in the void...?
Eh, nothing there. If anyone wanted to reveal themselves, they'd have to do it themselves. The fool had already revealed themself, but they had no right to break the veil of privacy anyone else had taken in this place.

Spoiler

The words are greatly appreciated. Perhaps we could make this a permanent exchange?

Edited by Goob

4 hours ago, Goob said:

They decided to try the simpler question first and circled "Contender" with their quill and let the book do its thing- if it does anything, of course.

In Fadran’s book, next to the Contender option, the quill wrote Contender Found!

@Channelknight Fadran

Nameless frowned at the book in front of him. It didn't seem to be doing much of anything. Oh, right. He'd only written in it. He hadn't actually entered the contest properly yet. Reaching out to whatever was running this place, he scribbled down some more words into the book. Hello. I'd like to fight anyone who's available at the moment, in whatever terrain, situation, etc. they are most comfortable in. Separately, at the same time, whatever they feel will be more interesting will do fine.

@PyroPhile

That done, Nameless turned his attention to the competition. Two of them he could not see at all, and sense only faintly. They appeared to be from lands strange to him, and carried a hint of... something. Yes, that was it. Something. Satisfied with his inspection of the invisible, Nameless turned to the contender that was staring right through him.

It was at this moment that he realized, to his horror, that he was currently invisible. All that effort in making a good entrance, and no one could have seen anything more than a faint ripple! He shook his head in disappointment and glanced around to be sure that nobody had seen his mistake but, of course, they hadn't. All the same, it really was for the best that Thaidakar wasn't here yet. He'd never let Nameless live this down. Not that Nameless could live anything down, not existing and al-

. . . 

. . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Nameless pulled himself back together, pieces of his soul screaming in pain. Right. Best not to dwell on one's present state of being. An entrance. Right. He could do that. This visible contender looked very much like someone who would appreciate a dramatic entrance. And also like someone who wouldn't care less about one. Hard to tell really. Anyways he was just rambling now. Time to be one with things.

Nameless became visible in front of the fool. His hair was brown and so where his eyes, although his eyes were that particular shade of brown that implies being every color at once. He was taller than average but didn't look particularly threatening, and carried no weapon save those that were a part of him. Other than that, his features seemed indistinct, perhaps undecided.

He raised a carefree hand and waved. "Nice to meet you, stranger. Do you have a name? I'm Nameless."

Spoiler

Maybe. I won't have access to a computer for a while starting this weekend so typing up long posts will get a bit harder, but we'll see.

@Goob

15 hours ago, Nameless* said:

Nameless pulled himself back together, pieces of his soul screaming in pain. Right. Best not to dwell on one's present state of being. An entrance. Right. He could do that. This visible contender looked very much like someone who would appreciate a dramatic entrance. And also like someone who wouldn't care less about one. Hard to tell really. Anyways he was just rambling now. Time to be one with things.

Nameless became visible in front of the fool. His hair was brown and so where his eyes, although his eyes were that particular shade of brown that implies being every color at once. He was taller than average but didn't look particularly threatening, and carried no weapon save those that were a part of him. Other than that, his features seemed indistinct, perhaps undecided.

He raised a carefree hand and waved. "Nice to meet you, stranger. Do you have a name? I'm Nameless."

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe. I won't have access to a computer for a while starting this weekend so typing up long posts will get a bit harder, but we'll see.

@Goob

The fool gave a sly smile as the stranger appeared before them. "Ah, well met, Nameless. As for my name? Don't have one. I had to give up something to end up here, after all. Though I've been given many names by others, none really ever stuck..." they chuckled. "Good thing, too. A name anchors you to a place. One word with so many connotations, so many memories that could drag you backwards to a place you've already been. Nothing could be more of an anathema to me than that, I think. You can give me one, if you wish, but just remember that in the end, I'll always just be some fool." 

Looking closer, you can clearly see and describe the fool's appearance, thought what it is for you or for anyone else, I have no clue.

"Ha! Perhaps a little much for a first meeting, but you were the one to ask. Anyways, since we're still absolutely nowhere-" the fool looked around, as if to confirm the situation- "I assume we aren't here to fight, at least not yet."

Spoiler

Don't sweat it. I'd save your words for the fights, anyways. (It's hard to write a lot while there's not much happening.)

Edited by Goob

1 hour ago, Goob said:

The fool gave a sly smile as the stranger appeared before them. "Ah, well met, Nameless. As for my name? Don't have one. I had to give up something to end up here, after all. Though I've been given many names by others, none really ever stuck..." they chuckled. "Good thing, too. A name anchors you to a place. One word with so many connotations, so many memories that could drag you backwards to a place you've already been. Nothing could be more of an anathema to me than that, I think. You can give me one, if you wish, but just remember that in the end, I'll always just be some fool." 

Looking closer, you can clearly see and describe the fool's appearance, thought what it is for you or for anyone else, I have no clue.

"Ha! Perhaps a little much for a first meeting, but you were the one to ask. Anyways, since we're still absolutely nowhere-" the fool looked around, as if to confirm the situation- "I assume we aren't here to fight, at least not yet."

Reveal hidden contents

Don't sweat it. I'd save your words for the fights, anyways. (It's hard to write a lot while there's not much happening.)

Nameless laughed. "Oh, don't worry. My view on names is much similar to yours. Didn't have your luck in avoiding them though. They hunted me down in the end." Nameless glanced down, noticing that he was slightly blurry. "Uh, anyways. I think you're correct; the fighting part doesn't start until the book tells us." He sat back in a chair that hadn't been there a moment earlier. "Probably be a while. Setting up stuff like this always does. In the meantime, mind telling me where you're from?"

1 hour ago, Nameless* said:

"Uh, anyways. I think you're correct; the fighting part doesn't start until the book tells us."

You may begin once you choose what modifiers you wish to apply, the quill wrote on the book.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:36 PM, PyroPhile said:

Where you want to battle, what restrictions on weapons or magic you want, etc… the quill wrote.

I don’t really care about those things. Ask the fool what he wants, and that’ll be fine with me.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:51 PM, Nameless* said:

Nameless laughed. "Oh, don't worry. My view on names is much similar to yours. Didn't have your luck in avoiding them though. They hunted me down in the end." Nameless glanced down, noticing that he was slightly blurry. "Uh, anyways. I think you're correct; the fighting part doesn't start until the book tells us." He sat back in a chair that hadn't been there a moment earlier. "Probably be a while. Setting up stuff like this always does. In the meantime, mind telling me where you're from?"

The fool laughed, before abruptly cutting themselves off and mumbling "Damn you were not listening were you" under their breath. "Ahem. Again, I am not from anywhere. Perhaps this body was created someplace specific but I no longer remember where. My very nature abhors the thought of being attached to anywhere and there's nowhere you're more attached to than where you originated from." They sighed. They'd explained this many times before and yet people seemed to have such struggles understanding... 

They couldn't blame anyone else, really. The fool's opportunities had been... unique, after all.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:36 PM, PyroPhile said:

Where you want to battle, what restrictions on weapons or magic you want, etc… the quill wrote.

3 hours ago, Nameless* said:

I don’t really care about those things. Ask the fool what he wants, and that’ll be fine with me.

"You know, I was thinking of starting off simple. A big, flat circle... but that's boring. I'll take a infinitely tall skyscraper collapsing upon itself forever, if you will. Unpopulated, obviously."

22 hours ago, PyroPhile said:

Do you wish to be inside or outside of the skyscraper? The quill wrote.

"Interesting question. If it's collapsing, does it really have a defined in or out...? I'll take in." The fool looked over to Nameless. "Perhaps now we'll finally get to test our mettle. We've been here a suspiciously long time in this battle hub without any... well, battle."

They look back to the book and quill. "Oh, and no restrictions please. I had the feeling you were about to ask. Can we fight now?"

frick, nearly forgot about this-

Reality warped as a figure stepped out into this new place. Thaidakar Von Kelsier, Master Narrator, resident philosopher of TLT, had arrived, arrogance, high opinion of himself and all. He adjusted his fancifully decorated armor as he looked around the area, a faint hum of energy spreading from his core outwards. The fiber of existence seemed to bend around the words that came from his lips, carefully crafted by a mind known for foolishness for some purpose of the wordsmith's design, "Why, isn't this a quaint dimension we have here..." The narrator tightened straps that certainly had not been there before the moment he had needed them, jewel encrusted black metal armor growing closer to his arm. A gilded glass filled with a mixture of super-lava and Root formed out of pure Narration in the man's hand. A cool yet fiery drink, perfect for the circumstances, Thaidakar thought.

50 minutes ago, PyroPhile said:

A lectern with a book and quill appeared in front of Thaidakar. On the book was written, Someone is challenging you. Do you accept the challenge? [ ]

@Thaidakar the Ghostblood

Thaidakar raised an eyebrow, picking up the quill and writing, "Ah, I'll accept, certainly. That is, on the terms that we may use our full powers against each other in the fight." The Narrator set the quill down nicely on the page in an artful manner, adjusting his glowing armor a smidgeon.

3 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Thaidakar raised an eyebrow, picking up the quill and writing, "Ah, I'll accept, certainly. That is, on the terms that we may use our full powers against each other in the fight." The Narrator set the quill down nicely on the page in an artful manner, adjusting his glowing armor a smidgeon.

Fadran decided to actually go talk to the guy. "You're a Narrator?"

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

Fadran decided to actually go talk to the guy. "You're a Narrator?"

Thaidakar nodded, a ruby encrusted tongue of metal formed, looking exactly like a tie, simply so he could tighten it absently, "I am a Narrator indeed, I fought Kaos to return my friends to reality only to be rejected and despised by nearly every single person in TLT for trying to save lives. It's quite the highlight of my career, indeed. And you are?"