Hello... and need suggestions

Folfer

Hello I just joined up. I've been looking over the forum the last few days. I just finished WoR. I've been looking at some of the cosmere lore... Very intriguing. I wanted to know if there was a suggested chronology to read the rest of the cosmere books...

I stared reading the stormlight books after finishing the wheel of time... I thought Sanderson did a great job with them so figured I'd read his stuff. So far love the stormlight series. I just want to know where I should go next.

Thanks

Hello I just joined up. I've been looking over the forum the last few days. I just finished WoR. I've been looking at some of the cosmere lore... Very intriguing. I wanted to know if there was a suggested chronology to read the rest of the cosmere books...

I stared reading the stormlight books after finishing the wheel of time... I thought Sanderson did a great job with them so figured I'd read his stuff. So far love the stormlight series. I just want to know where I should go next.

Thanks

Hi! Welcome to 17th Shard! I recommend Steelheart as your next read.

Welcome!

My personal favourite after SA is Mistborn, so I would reccommend that series next, either that or the novella The Emperor's Soul.

There's no particular order to read the Cosmere in, but if you want to go chronologically, it goes something like Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, SA, Alloy Of Law, (Then Emperor's Soul? Not sure where that fits in).

And then once you're done with the Cosmere, there's always Steelheart, The Rithmatist and Alcatraz :)

Welcome!

...it goes something like Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, SA, Alloy Of Law, (Then Emperor's Soul? Not sure where that fits in).

The Emperor's Soul takes place about 30 years after Elantris, so it's way before The Stormlight Archive (Brandon even teased - trolled? - that we might be seeing Shai in SA). See the Chronology page on the Coppermind for reference - though I wouldn't read the details below the table on top, some of them are spoilery.

To answer the original question, however, the order doesn't actually matter, as long as you don't read series backwards or something. The only thing that changes is the quality of Brandon's writing - it is generally accepted (though not by me) that each book he writes is better than the previous ones; so Elantris would be his worst. I've never felt that way, to me they are all wonderful books, and the only statement of quality I can make is that The Stormlight Archive is his best series, and that Words of Radiance is better than The Way of Kings; the rest is more or less the same to me.

Oh, and while we are on the topic of reading order - as you learn more about the cosmere and stalk the forums extensively, you will find out that a number of characters hop between books. It is usually difficult to spot them (The Way of Kings features at least four worldhoppers, three of which we have seen in previously published books), so not reading the books in the order they were published can technically diminish your experience by a tiny amount. But it's a very tiny amount, as even in the category of Easter eggs, those are small ones.

(The Way of Kings features at least four worldhoppers, three of which we have seen in previously published books)

Combined with Words of Radiants, my count is at 7 out of 10 current world-hoppers, 4 we have seen in other published books.

Doesn't really matter, other than read each world in sequence, (i.e. read Alloy of Law after the mistborn trilogy)

• Chaos locked this topic