Magic System Help

Slowswift

So I've been toying with a magic system for a while. It involves verbal commands to accomplish tasks, control objects/elements, etc. The more eloquent the command, the more powerful it is.

That's all I've got.

I've been trying to write a full length novel for some time now and I just need a magic system before I start. Thus, any help and/or criticism would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What governs the phrasing? Is there a distinct formula to follow, or does an element of originality and creativity affect power and effect? How does the language used to speak spells in change them, if at all? What happens if you have a speech impediment, get punched in the mouth midway through, or use ambiguous or contradictory phrasing? Is the universe a Grammar Nazi? Who can use the magic? What fuels it, if it needs fuel? Are there other magics/technologies in the world that hinder or compete with it, and how do they interact? To what extent does intent matter, and to what extent can you doom yourself by saying something while meaning the opposite? What social mores and taboos are a result of this - how is education controlled? What kind of setting is this in, and how does that interact? What is known about this magic? What is not known, but true? What is assumed, but untrue? What is known, but has exceptions? What is the most unconventional use for this magic you can think of, and who uses it this way? How did this magic come about? Does it have the potential for ethically dubious things written into it, and how does society react to this? How much does the average person of any given class know about it? What objects become powerful under this system - obscure dictionaries and collections of roots from forgotten languages? What is the usual fashion this magic is used, and why? Is there anything deeply broken about the magic? What is the worst thing that can happen using the magic? What makes it hard? What makes it weak? How does the average person level the playing field, if they can?

It would a lot to know what the novel is about. The magic system should compliment the plot in some way rather than exist independently of it.

Here is your biggest obstacle: just about everything you can think of has already been done. Commands to control objects and elements? It sounds a lot like Awakening from Warbreaker or True Naming from various other books. What you need is a novel way to use or portray the magic.

Maybe introduce willpower. Some magic users use such a force of will behind their commands that it literally burns a small portion of their life force. Maybe someone can command a mountain to crumble, but doing so would burn twenty years or their life away. Commanding a small rock to crumble might burn a few minutes. Something along those lines would be interesting because the cost of the magic is so dire; at least, for larger commands it is. Picture this: two magic users attempting to manipulate the same object for different purposes - it would come down to whoever was willing/able to burn more of their life force gains control.

Maybe commands are learned through vigorous study - and once a command is used, all knowledge of it is erased from your memory and must be relearned. That would be interesting because then the trick is to be wise in your use of whatever commands you've learned.

Maybe commands are granted through pacts with deities or demons; the more control you exert over whatever element you were granted mastery over in your pact, the more control the deities or demons involved gain over you. Overuse the magic and they'll control you completely.

You could have karma be a literal force of nature. Use commands to cause great suffering and great suffering will come your way personally. Maybe some deity or demon or organisation has inverted this karma force - cause suffering and receive good fortune. That would make those who use their commands for the good of others honored martyrs.

It really comes down to Sanderson's Laws of Magic. Just food for thought.

Start with Swimmingly's questions. Answer them, or break them down into simpler yes/no questions. Answer them with whatever sounds awesome, or just arbitrarily, but then consider the consequences of that answer. If you don't like the consequences--if it doesn't fit your vision for your story--step back and change your answer. Try the opposite. If that doesn't fit either, find a middle ground.

Keep Sanderson's Laws in mind. Not because they make things cooler, but because the Laws are focused on supporting a good plot.

1) The better the reader understands the magic system, the more the magic can be used to solve problems.

1a) If you aren't going to explain specifics, feel free to use magic to cause problems for the protagonist.

2) Limitations are more interesting than powers.

3) Explore the consequences and ramifications of what you have before adding more.

Also useful to remember are the questions Mary Robinette Kowal uses:

1) How does this affect the poorest level of society?

2) How does this affect the wealthiest level of society?

3) How can this be abused?

In addition to Sanderson's Laws, I think it is good to take into consideration Orson Scott Card's question about any magic system.

What is the cost?

Stories are more interesting with conflict, and there should never be anything as a free lunch. So what is the cost? What do you give up to get the value of the magic? What is the power source of the magic? Can it run out or become diluted? But also, what impact does it have on those that use it, those around them, society, the environment, the world, or the universe?

The answers to those questions can lead to some interesting impacts on your story.

Edited by lyht

I forgot the technique that has been the most helpful in my own projects: Choose a theme.

You are trying to build a magic system based on structured commands. Is there a thematic look-and-feel you want to achieve?.

Does eloquence correspond to the phrasings used by kings and witches in Shakespearean works? Or to epic poetry? Gilgamesh?

Are the best commands ones that resemble the structures of Catholic liturgy?

The things being commanded, do they move via Jedi-style telekinesis, or do they dance about like in the Disney Fantasia short "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"?

Finding a cool theme to tie in can help you find the right answers to the questions people have been offering.

Oh, wow. I never imagined I'd get so many responses. Thanks a lot!

Swimmingly: I think I just found my new magic outline.

Laughing Fool and lyht: I'm working on cost right now and that helped a lot.

Sir Jerric: The way the commands work depends on the person: Poetic phrases or sharp and direct phrases for different people. If someone was musically inclined, they could sing the phrase.

Edited by lizard-crab-thing

In response to Laughing Fool.

Here is your biggest obstacle: just about everything you can think of has already been done. Commands to control objects and elements? It sounds a lot like Awakening from Warbreaker or True Naming from various other books. What you need is a novel way to use or portray the magic.

That's SO true.

Maybe introduce willpower. Some magic users use such a force of will behind their commands that it literally burns a small portion of their life force. Maybe someone can command a mountain to crumble, but doing so would burn twenty years or their life away. Commanding a small rock to crumble might burn a few minutes. Something along those lines would be interesting because the cost of the magic is so dire; at least, for larger commands it is. Picture this: two magic users attempting to manipulate the same object for different purposes - it would come down to whoever was willing/able to burn more of their life force gains control.

C.S. Friedman, Magister Trilogy

Maybe commands are learned through vigorous study - and once a command is used, all knowledge of it is erased from your memory and must be relearned. That would be interesting because then the trick is to be wise in your use of whatever commands you've learned.

The Dragonlance books.

I would suggest to build the magic system / world together with the characters who are going to live in it. Because the way characters use / act to the magic is even more important than the system itself, and usually characters grow with the writing. So it's perhaps an idea to start with a vague outline of the system and fine tune it during the actual writing. Remember, you can always go back and change things.

Sanderson is very much a planning and outline writer, and thus his magic systems are also very structured. It's one way to add magic to Fantasy, but I don't agree that it's the only one. Tolkien's approach to magic is much more vague, and the various versions of magic in the Malazan books are often not really explained and sometimes not even fully understood by the characters (warrens that send you off in the wrong direction like a badly programmed navi :P ). It does not prevent readers from enjoying these books a lot, though.

If you're new to writing, you may try and find out what works best for you. Detailed outlines, or a more panster approach (try Nano in November for that :) ). The way you create a magic system may be influenced by that.

Remember, Sanderson wrote a bunch of books before he managed one good enough to get published. We should not measure our first attempts by the Stormlight Archive, that will only lead to frustrations. ;) Becoming a writer takes time and growth.

Edited by Gabriele

Eloquence is often determined by the people who hear the words, not just the person who says them. I sometimes say stuff that seems normal to me, but some people really think that it's well stated, sounds beautiful, etc. Would that be powerful? Even if I said the same things without anyone there?

What if, the more complex an object, the more or more subtly you can affect it? That would follow from curiosities' point, though it sort of copies the cosmere 'everything has a soul, the more complex or invested the object the more complex the soul' thing.

• 2 weeks later...

What language is it in. Are the poetically phrased spells chanted in the common tongue or is it a foreign language or one only know to certain intellectuals?

If it is spoken commonly what is it that distinguishes magic users from everyday people? or can anyone who is clever with words use magic?

also if you use a foreign language would your audience be able to recognize the spell's aesthetic poetry?