Midnight Essence pet class!

Okay.  I may have watched too much bloodborne lately.  I just saw the cutscene with those cool looking all black horses and had a thought about midnight essence.  

This all pairs with other questions I had about the same stuff but when I was looking at a raven queen patron warlock for D&D as well.  

Midnight essence pets!  

In a world of RNG where I roll 2 dice for twinborn characters, each dice choosing a different metal from the table I landed 2 14s.  Bendalloy Compounder.  This roll was last last summer and I have been trying to work out what flavor would make it work.  

I had enjoyed some thoughts on endless rosite mech and weapons but then I watched me some good old fashion bloodborne and I want to make it work for midnight essence.  

What kind of abilities do you think this would open up?  Just a straight pet class with near endless pets thanks for endless water?  

I thought I remembered reading something about seeing through your pets eyes but I have no access to Tress atm.  So I need yalls help.  

Would an aetherbound with midnight essence be able to summon a flock of bird like essences to be spies?   Or a midnight mount to ease the burden of walking?  Could you change a creation from range?  Small snakes that grow after a bite and constrict?  

I am probably missing something critical as I have no access to the book atm anyways.  But figured I would ask. 

12 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

What kind of abilities do you think this would open up?  Just a straight pet class with near endless pets thanks for endless water?  

Yes.

I thought I remembered reading something about seeing through your pets eyes but I have no access to Tress atm.  So I need yalls help.  

Seeing, reading, hearing, stearing. You kind of become that creature.

Would an aetherbound with midnight essence be able to summon a flock of bird like essences to be spies?   Or a midnight mount to ease the burden of walking?  Could you change a creation from range?  Small snakes that grow after a bite and constrict?  

Yes, yes, yes, yes. The further away they are, the harder it is to control them (I think, or at least they are more susceptible to someone else gaining control over them).

Edited by alder24

51 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Yes.

Seeing, reading, hearing, stearing. You kind of become that creature.

Yes, yes, yes, yes. The further away they are, the harder it is to control them (I think, or at least they are more susceptible to someone else gaining control over them).

Do you think midnight essence could be used to coat the user like a thick armor or does it need to take the form of something living so the best armor for it would just be creating a bunch of bouncer level guards?  Are there weapons that could be formed with it or just summons that can attack and become the weapons for you?  

I assume size matters for the hydration rate.  

Would a midnight essence chasmfiend be too outrageous for someone with access to weeks or months worth of water do you think?  

I know it is all total speculation at this point but I am curious of others thoughts.  

2 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Do you think midnight essence could be used to coat the user like a thick armor or does it need to take the form of something living so the best armor for it would just be creating a bunch of bouncer level guards?  Are there weapons that could be formed with it or just summons that can attack and become the weapons for you?  

No idea, they tend to take the form of a living thing, like a snake covering you or something. But they are still a mass of some goo, don't expect that to protect you like armor. It won't.

3 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I assume size matters for the hydration rate.  

I think so too. The bigger they are, the more Aethers spores were used to create them, logically, the more water they need.

4 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Would a midnight essence chasmfiend be too outrageous for someone with access to weeks or months worth of water do you think?  

You would need a looot of spores to make that thing. And a looooot of water. Then I remember Tress had some problems with keeping Midnight Essence in a shape, as it wanted to be active, do things that Tress didn't want it to do, and it started to deform. With bigger forms it might be even harder to keep it in correct shape. Just like Re-Shephir's Midnight Essences were quickly to turn into shapeless figures.

15 minutes ago, alder24 said:

No idea, they tend to take the form of a living thing, like a snake covering you or something. But they are still a mass of some goo, don't expect that to protect you like armor. It won't.

I think so too. The bigger they are, the more Aethers spores were used to create them, logically, the more water they need.

You would need a looot of spores to make that thing. And a looooot of water. Then I remember Tress had some problems with keeping Midnight Essence in a shape, as it wanted to be active, do things that Tress didn't want it to do, and it started to deform. With bigger forms it might be even harder to keep it in correct shape. Just like Re-Shephir's Midnight Essences were quickly to turn into shapeless figures.

This might be a dumb question. 

The difference between an aetherbound and what is seen in ToES is that spores are needed when you aren't an aetherbound correct?  

If someone was bound to the aether for midnight essence could they create their own off world without spores?  

I assume the speed of creation would be limited by water consumption.  

For someone with bendalloy do you think they would be able to control their creations from inside a bubble or would it consume water at their normal speed and the creations would be moving to slowly to be of any use?  

Just now, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

The difference between an aetherbound and what is seen in ToES is that spores are needed when you aren't an aetherbound correct?  

Yes, Aetherbound are bounded directly to one of the primal Aethers, while on Lumar, spores of Aethers are what is needed to use Aethers. On Lumar there are Spore Eaters, a very parasitic form of Aetherbound, which doesn't have the same benefits of Aetherbound, they're just protected by Aethers from death to maximize the amount of water Aethers gain.

2 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

If someone was bound to the aether for midnight essence could they create their own off world without spores?  

Yes. But not to the Aeather from Lumar. 

I assume the speed of creation would be limited by water consumption.  

Very likely.

For someone with bendalloy do you think they would be able to control their creations from inside a bubble or would it consume water at their normal speed and the creations would be moving to slowly to be of any use?  

Oh, that's a good question. It's a bond thing, so they should be ok, but the rate of water consumption might get accelerated. But that depends if the water is consumed according to the Aether's (Midnight Essence or directly one of the prime Aethers) point of view (frame of reference), or Aetherbound's. If it's Aetherbound's point of view then rate would be accelerated in bendalloy bubble, if it's from Aether's point of view, then the rate would be slowed down in a bubble. The opposite would be for Cadmium bubble.

20 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Yes, Aetherbound are bounded directly to one of the primal Aethers, while on Lumar, spores of Aethers are what is needed to use Aethers. On Lumar there are Spore Eaters, a very parasitic form of Aetherbound, which doesn't have the same benefits of Aetherbound, they're just protected by Aethers from death to maximize the amount of water Aethers gain.

Yes. But not to the Aeather from Lumar. 

Very likely.

Oh, that's a good question. It's a bond thing, so they should be ok, but the rate of water consumption might get accelerated. But that depends if the water is consumed according to the Aether's (Midnight Essence or directly one of the prime Aethers) point of view (frame of reference), or Aetherbound's. If it's Aetherbound's point of view then rate would be accelerated in bendalloy bubble, if it's from Aether's point of view, then the rate would be slowed down in a bubble. The opposite would be for Cadmium bubble.

I like the thought that a time bubble working in your favor allows the other to work against it.  They are opposites.  If the bendalloy bubble made you lose water faster then the cadmium bubble could allow an ultimate puppeteer to create and control an entire fighting force from the safety of a cadmium bubble.  

That possibility makes me think the water must get used up at real time for the aether you are bound to.  Otherwise we could have some midnight aetherbound pop up a cadmium bubble to min max their armies effectiveness.  

Anyways beyond the speed bubble speculation.  When you say yes but not from the aether on lumar. Can you help me understand?  

Are all aethers from there or do they simply have much influence there?  Would midnight essence monsters and creations look different and act different on another planet do you think?  

1 minute ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I like the thought that a time bubble working in your favor allows the other to work against it.  They are opposites.  If the bendalloy bubble made you lose water faster then the cadmium bubble could allow an ultimate puppeteer to create and control an entire fighting force from the safety of a cadmium bubble.  

Yes, but then what is the effect of your brain and thinking being in a speed bubble, when the Midnight Essence is on the outside? Would you in a cadmium bubble make the Essense to move as slowly as you appear from the outside of the bubble? After all, you're steering the Essens, as long as you're in direct control (you don't have to, Riina didn't do that), your slowed down thoughts might cause the Essense to move painfully slow, and you didn't even think that's wrong, without seeing other people moving. And the opposite would be with a bendalloy bubble, your Essence would be moving very fast (if it is physically capable of, if not, you will have a problem as your brain is thinking about movement faster than the muscles can move). The relative time differences are very important here to consider, when controlling the Essence. But like I said, you don't have to directly control them, you can give them sets of commands to follow, like Riina did, and they would be autonomous, without the effects of the time bubble. At least that’s what I think would happen.

7 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

That possibility makes me think the water must get used up at real time for the aether you are bound to.  Otherwise we could have some midnight aetherbound pop up a cadmium bubble to min max their armies effectiveness.  

But there aren't any Aetherbound who are Mistings, it's currently impossible to become both of them. An existing Aetherbound would have to get Lerasium, or existing Misting would have to worldhop to the place where Midnight Aether is, and convince him/her to be worthy of bonding. Which might be a huge problem, even bigger than gaining Lerasium, as they are worshiped on their planets, and you are not part of the club. But due to the dark Aether invading Aether's world, it might be impossible for a Misting to travel there.

13 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Anyways beyond the speed bubble speculation.  When you say yes but not from the aether on lumar. Can you help me understand?  

Did you read TLM?

Spoiler

Lumar's Aethers aren't like Aethers anywhere else in Cosmere. They are a very parasitic form of Aethers, focusing only on spreading spores and gaining water. Normal Primar Aethers are far greater than that. They are considered to be deities, they're sapient. Those primar Aethers create Aetherbound, like Twinborn, Prasanva from TLM. Aetherbound is in full control of the Aether, he can grow them, shape them according to his will, all that while being in contact with his Primar Aether.

On Lumar, Aethers create only Spore Eaters, who are the means for Aethers to gain more water, until that person dies. Aether only protects them from death and harm, and Spore Eaters have no control over Aethers. But on Lumar everybody with water can grow Aethers from spores.

That's why I said "not bonded with the Aether from Lumar" as you would be Spore Eater (who can't control Aethers) instead of Aetherbound, and you would need spores to grow Midnight Essence (which doesn't require permanent bond with Aether like Aetherbound has).

Being bonded to primar Aether not from Lumar would make you like Twinsoul, and would allow you to grow Midnight Essence wherever you are, without any spores. Spores are unique to Lumar's Aethers.

Primar Aether is an entity, Aether is the essence (vines are Aethers, but the Primar Aether, the entity that wants water, is on the Emerald moon). I often refer to Primar Aethers as Aethers, but you get it?

24 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Are all aethers from there or do they simply have much influence there?  Would midnight essence monsters and creations look different and act different on another planet do you think?  

Tbf we don't know how would Midnight Essence from non-Lumar Aethers behave, but they would still work in the same way. It's not about the planet you're on, it's about primar Aethers you're using.

20 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Yes, but then what is the effect of your brain and thinking being in a speed bubble, when the Midnight Essence is on the outside? Would you in a cadmium bubble make the Essense to move as slowly as you appear from the outside of the bubble? After all, you're steering the Essens, as long as you're in direct control (you don't have to, Riina didn't do that), your slowed down thoughts might cause the Essense to move painfully slow, and you didn't even think that's wrong, without seeing other people moving. And the opposite would be with a bendalloy bubble, your Essence would be moving very fast (if it is physically capable of, if not, you will have a problem as your brain is thinking about movement faster than the muscles can move). The relative time differences are very important here to consider, when controlling the Essence. But like I said, you don't have to directly control them, you can give them sets of commands to follow, like Riina did, and they would be autonomous, without the effects of the time bubble. At least that’s what I think would happen.

But there aren't any Aetherbound who are Mistings, it's currently impossible to become both of them. An existing Aetherbound would have to get Lerasium, or existing Misting would have to worldhop to the place where Midnight Aether is, and convince him/her to be worthy of bonding. Which might be a huge problem, even bigger than gaining Lerasium, as they are worshiped on their planets, and you are not part of the club. But due to the dark Aether invading Aether's world, it might be impossible for a Misting to travel there.

Did you read TLM?

Hide contents

Lumar's Aethers aren't like Aethers anywhere else in Cosmere. They are a very parasitic form of Aethers, focusing only on spreading spores and gaining water. Normal Primar Aethers are far greater than that. They are considered to be deities, they're sapient. Those primar Aethers create Aetherbound, like Twinborn, Prasanva from TLM. Aetherbound is in full control of the Aether, he can grow them, shape them according to his will, all that while being in contact with his Primar Aether.

On Lumar, Aethers create only Spore Eaters, who are the means for Aethers to gain more water, until that person dies. Aether only protects them from death and harm, and Spore Eaters have no control over Aethers. But on Lumar everybody with water can grow Aethers from spores.

That's why I said "not bonded with the Aether from Lumar" as you would be Spore Eater (who can't control Aethers) instead of Aetherbound, and you would need spores to grow Midnight Essence (which doesn't require permanent bond with Aether like Aetherbound has).

Being bonded to primar Aether not from Lumar would make you like Twinsoul, and would allow you to grow Midnight Essence wherever you are, without any spores. Spores are unique to Lumar's Aethers.

Primar Aether is an entity, Aether is the essence (vines are Aethers, but the Primar Aether, the entity that wants water, is on the Emerald moon). I often refer to Primar Aethers as Aethers, but you get it?

Tbf we don't know how would Midnight Essence from non-Lumar Aethers behave, but they would still work in the same way. It's not about the planet you're on, it's about primar Aethers you're using.

So the primal Aether and those moons are separate?  

I think I am getting the picture. Get to a place to be chosen to be aetherbound. 

If that happens then you are capable of doing everything that can be done with spores and possibly more.  You can do it anywhere in the cosmere so long as you have the water to do it.  

But you have a being who thinks they are akin to the gods in your mind always now and you serve them?  

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

So the primal Aether and those moons are separate?  

Primal Aethers are on the moons, they aren't moons themself. And there are 12 of them, they're somewhat sapient, and are sending spores onto Lumar. Vines, roselit, crimson crystals etc, are Aethers, they come from Primal Aethers. 

If that happens then you are capable of doing everything that can be done with spores and possibly more.  You can do it anywhere in the cosmere so long as you have the water to do it.  

Yes, but spores also create Aethers in a very explosive way, which seems to be faster than normal Aetherbound. However, it's far less controllable.

But you have a being who thinks they are akin to the gods in your mind always now and you serve them?  

Something like that. It's not that bad. 

18 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Primal Aethers are on the moons, they aren't moons themself. And there are 12 of them, they're somewhat sapient, and are sending spores onto Lumar. Vines, roselit, crimson crystals etc, are Aethers, they come from Primal Aethers. 

Yes, but spores also create Aethers in a very explosive way, which seems to be faster than normal Aetherbound. However, it's far less controllable.

Something like that. It's not that bad. 

I feel like some bonds are worse than others. On a scale of "I will directly control every move you make because you have spikes" to "sure take your earing out when you don't want to talk to me and I will just stalk you with my servants who will".  

That said I am a fan of warlocks being bound to their patrons in D&D anyways and a midnight aether patron seems awesome.