Note: This theory makes a lot of random assertions about various parts of the Cosmere. Feel free to take or leave any of them.

The setting

The magic systems in the Alcatraz books, Silimatics, Oculators, and the Smedry Talents, all seem a lot like manifestations of Shardic Investiture. It can be part of objects that people can use (like fabrials), it can be an inherent thing that requires an outside object to channel (like Allomancy), and it can be an inherent thing simply in a person (like Breath). It can be used by anyone by killing someone who uses it, with the power of the transfer dependent on the power of the original host (like Hemalurgy). All in all, it looks a Damnation of a lot like it should be Cosmere. However, Brandon has said that it isn't.

There are a few explanations for this. The first is that the similarities exist because Brandon likes using magic with rules, and Alcatraz is set in its own universe. The second is that Brandon is trolling us, and we're misinterpreting what "Cosmere" means in this case. The first one is boring and will not be covered here.

The real question here is how we define Cosmere. It's generally defined as the shared universe between Brandon's books. But what if we define it as the dwarf galaxy containing the Shardworlds?1 Then new possibilities unfold. A planet outside that galaxy, but in the same universe, wouldn't be considered Cosmere. And yet it could still have access to some Investiture, or something similar. As such, the magic in Alcatraz wouldn't need further explanation. The similarities to Earth... well, that leads us into the next piece.

Where the magic comes from, and why the Librarians and Free Kingdoms exist

If Alcatraz's magic system comes from something similar to Investiture, there must be a source. It's probably not a Shard, since the Shardworlds are all in the same galaxy. And yet it seems to have an Intent. All the Talents appear to be different manifestations of Breaking. What could have an Intent, yet not be a Shard? Adonalsium didn't have an Intent. Or did it? Perhaps Adonalsium had the Intent of Unification. That would explain why it chose to create humanoids on so many Shardworlds. Being similar to each other would make it easier for them to have a unified goal. And therefore, the source of the magic on Alcatraz is Anti-Adonalsium. It's also the force that resulted in the Shattering, since its Intent is Breaking. Not Ruin, because it wants things to be left, but Breaking. The reduction of things down to their essential components. The exact opposite of Adonalsium, which created things to be more than the sum of their parts.
The reason that the Librarians and the Free Kingdoms exist is because the Breaker, the Anti-Adonalsium, has also Shattered. It formed two parts: Order and Chaos. The Librarians serve Order. The Free Kingdoms serve Chaos. They are both parts of the Breaker because the essential nature of the Breaker is reduction into simpler parts. Order's part in the Breaker is akin to the Auditors in Discworld - it wishes to reduce reality to the simplest possible, because that makes it so much more orderly. Chaos is, of course, in the actual breaking.

Why Alcatraz's world is like Earth

There's no real reason for Alcatraz's world to be so similar to Earth. In fact, it should be far more different than it is. There's only one possible explanation: The multiverse. The Breaker broke the laws of physics and made it possible for contact to occur between different Everett branches. In doing so, it dragged out an alternate Earth into the Cosmereverse. (It's possible that the Breaking of the laws of physics is what allowed for Investiture. However, this would mean that the Breaker was the original and Adonalsium was only its shadow. Even for Brandon that seems like a bit much.) The two opposing BreakerShards at that point gained influence over said Earth, resulting in the current political situation. In other words, the reason Alcatraz's world is like Earth is because it is Earth, just from another universe.

Implications of this theory

• Alcatraz will be saved from the altar by Hoid, because who else could manage that?
  • There will probably be contact with characters from Cosmeres in other universes. The shipping implications alone are astounding - we can now ship characters with themselves from other universes. Furthermore, technology will advance vastly by using technology from other universes.
  • We now know the source of the Shattering, along with the probable antagonist for the Cosmere.
  • I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. 

In short: Alcatraz's world is the source of the Shattering, and proves that the Many Worlds interpretation holds true in the Cosmere (except when broken by magic). Also, I'm an idiot.

1This is how it's defined in the FAQ.

So what say you?

Only problem is we have WoB stating that Alcatraz is NOT Cosmere.

There are other WoB, but this is the quickest find for me just now:

BRANDON SANDERSON

So far, most of my deviation novels (AlcatrazSteelheartThe Rithmatist) have not been part of the shared universe. Part of taking a 'breather' is letting my mind run free without continuity restrictions.

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

I mean, it's the right place for it, but I'd say it is kind of in bad taste, given how correctness is such a big deal in cosmere theories. You don't just get to ignore Words of Brandons, you know? Joke or not, I'd say you definitely have opened the floodgate for being made fun of at the very least :P

So, yeah, I think it's in bad taste to post it. Maybe the Cosmere Theories is a humorless lot, but we're dealing with a universe that really does have a right or wrong answer to a lot of things.

I mean, it's the right place for it, but I'd say it is kind of in bad taste, given how correctness is such a big deal in cosmere theories. You don't just get to ignore Words of Brandons, you know? Joke or not, I'd say you definitely have opened the floodgate for being made fun of at the very least :P

So, yeah, I think it's in bad taste to post it. Maybe the Cosmere Theories is a humorless lot, but we're dealing with a universe that really does have a right or wrong answer to a lot of things.

So, basically, I shouldn't have posted this? You're probably right, but I guess it's too late now. Anyway, I don't mind being made fun of, as long as it doesn't get downvoted too much.

So, basically, I shouldn't have posted this? You're probably right, but I guess it's too late now. Anyway, I don't mind being made fun of, as long as it doesn't get downvoted too much.

I make no promises on your rep count :P (Though I get that it's a joke, so I didn't do so.)

EDIT: Jokes should probably go in General Brandon Discussion.

Edited by Chaos

• Chaos locked this topic