how dose shades mar work

MrMarksman108

• MrMarksman108 changed the title to how dose shades mar work?

Yup, the best way to learn more is to read about it on Coppermind first: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Cognitive_Realm. And for more very revelant knowledge, read about Realmatic Theory: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Realmatic_Theory

Cognitive Realm, known as Shadesmar on Roshar, is the Cognitive reflection of Physical Realm. Everything that exists in the Physical Realm has its manifestation in the Cognitive Realm. On Roshar, it's in forms of beads that represent the cognitive aspect (mind) of every object. Living souls are represented by a flame. The size of the Cognitive Realm is dependent on how much "thought' is focused on/in certain places in the Physical Realm. Like in space, there is nothing, therefore its size in the Cognitive Realm is very small. Places devoid of life and humans are far smaller in Cognitive Realm than in Physical Realm. That's why you can easily travel between planets through the Cognitive Realm, as the distance between them is vastly shrunk in there, compared to the Physical Realm.

You can enter the Cognitive Realm through perpendicularity, which is a place where there is so much investiture, that it pierces through the three Realms, bringing them closer together.

10 hours ago, alder24 said:

Yup, the best way to learn more is to read about it on Coppermind first: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Cognitive_Realm. And for more very revelant knowledge, read about Realmatic Theory: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Realmatic_Theory

Cognitive Realm, known as Shadesmar on Roshar, is the Cognitive reflection of Physical Realm. Everything that exists in the Physical Realm has its manifestation in the Cognitive Realm. On Roshar, it's in forms of beads that represent the cognitive aspect (mind) of every object. Living souls are represented by a flame. The size of the Cognitive Realm is dependent on how much "thought' is focused on/in certain places in the Physical Realm. Like in space, there is nothing, therefore its size in the Cognitive Realm is very small. Places devoid of life and humans are far smaller in Cognitive Realm than in Physical Realm. That's why you can easily travel between planets through the Cognitive Realm, as the distance between them is vastly shrunk in there, compared to the Physical Realm.

You can enter the Cognitive Realm through perpendicularity, which is a place where there is so much investiture, that it pierces through the three Realms, bringing them closer together.

I’m not sure Shadesmar is a completely Rosharan term.  I believe I’ve heard it elsewhere, from people who came from elsewhere.  Doesn’t Khriss use the term in Secret History?

4 hours ago, Elder said:

I’m not sure Shadesmar is a completely Rosharan term.  I believe I’ve heard it elsewhere, from people who came from elsewhere.  Doesn’t Khriss use the term in Secret History?

Shadesmar is the Rosharan name for Rosharan part of Cognitive Realm (Rosharan Subastral). It translates to "Cognitive Realm ''. But it is a name that is and will be commonly used in reference to the whole Cognitive Realm across Cosmere. And that's why Khriss uses it in Arcanum Unbounded.

Spoiler

Leinton (paraphrased)

Is there a difference between Shadesmar and the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Shadesmar is a word for the Cognitive Realm specifically touching [Roshar]. It's like San Diego is a word for a place in America. It's a local word.

Words of Radiance San Diego signing (March 4, 2014)

Spoiler

Argent (paraphrased)

Do the Spiritual and Physical Realms have names, like Shadesmar is the Cognitive Realm?

Kind of, but not really. Shadesmar is just a rough translation of "Cognitive Realm" in the language of whoever first found out about it. Other people, planets, and worlds wouldn't call it Shadesmar - they would call it whatever their words for "Cognitive Realm" are. This applies to the Physical and Spiritual as well.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

Spoiler

Brainless

Is the Cognitive Realm on other planets called Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

For simplicity's sake in translation, for the most part, we are going to use the word Shadesmar, acknowledging that in some of the languages it may be a different word. But the cosmere standard used in Silverlight and things is Shadesmar. That's just for ease of talking about it but the scholars in Silverlight they use the actual word Shadesmar. I'm going to force Eric to do some heavy lifting for me on some other things like this.

Chaos

<Expresses that not everyone will be pleased about this WoB>

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah I suspect that as I move into Era 4, Cognitive Realm might start replacing it, the more scientific term, but Shadesmar is the colloquial term. 

MisCon 2018 (May 26, 2018)

16 hours ago, alder24 said:

Shadesmar is the Rosharan name for Rosharan part of Cognitive Realm (Rosharan Subastral). It translates to "Cognitive Realm ''. But it is a name that is and will be commonly used in reference to the whole Cognitive Realm across Cosmere. And that's why Khriss uses it in Arcanum Unbounded.

Hide contents

Leinton (paraphrased)

Is there a difference between Shadesmar and the Cognitive Realm?

Shadesmar is a word for the Cognitive Realm specifically touching [Roshar]. It's like San Diego is a word for a place in America. It's a local word.

Words of Radiance San Diego signing (March 4, 2014)

Hide contents

Argent (paraphrased)

Do the Spiritual and Physical Realms have names, like Shadesmar is the Cognitive Realm?

Kind of, but not really. Shadesmar is just a rough translation of "Cognitive Realm" in the language of whoever first found out about it. Other people, planets, and worlds wouldn't call it Shadesmar - they would call it whatever their words for "Cognitive Realm" are. This applies to the Physical and Spiritual as well.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

Hide contents

Brainless

Is the Cognitive Realm on other planets called Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

For simplicity's sake in translation, for the most part, we are going to use the word Shadesmar, acknowledging that in some of the languages it may be a different word. But the cosmere standard used in Silverlight and things is Shadesmar. That's just for ease of talking about it but the scholars in Silverlight they use the actual word Shadesmar. I'm going to force Eric to do some heavy lifting for me on some other things like this.

Chaos

<Expresses that not everyone will be pleased about this WoB>

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah I suspect that as I move into Era 4, Cognitive Realm might start replacing it, the more scientific term, but Shadesmar is the colloquial term. 

MisCon 2018 (May 26, 2018)

I wonder if the Rosharan term is so popular because the Rosharan sub-astral is more populous than others.  I mean Kelsier seemed extremely lonely on Scadrial, though I can’t say whether other worlds would be similar or different.

8 hours ago, Elder said:

I wonder if the Rosharan term is so popular because the Rosharan sub-astral is more populous than others.  I mean Kelsier seemed extremely lonely on Scadrial, though I can’t say whether other worlds would be similar or different.

Likely. Scadrial's is empty, Selish is very dangerous so empty as well (maybe except for Ire presence), Nalthian might be inhabited, at least by humans, there is a lot of traffic and trade coming from Nalthis, Threnodite is definitely empty as well, too dangerous (presence of Ire there was noted in SH), Taldain’s is likely empty, given the Autonomy’s policy on worldhopping, or at least isolated, Yolen is inaccessible, Silverlight is the major city in CR, which could exist even before the Shattering, so it would also influence the language significantly. What else there is - First of the Sun is far away, Obrodai unknown, both aren’t major Shardworlds, and are relatively isolated, with no safe perpendicularity, so likely empty as well. And some other mentioned worlds here and there, like Vax, are just totally unknown to us.

Only Rosharan subastral is known to be naturally inhabited and provides very easy access to investiture, which is a currency there. Nalthis and Silverlight are busy as well.