Surviving on Roshar

Aleksiel

Imagine that due to an unexplained and rare phenomenon you are transported to post-WoR Roshar:

• You have all your current knowledge;
  • You can speak and understand all languages (doesn't apply to anything written, plus you keep your accent);
  • You have no other skills that you don’t have now; 
  • You also have no immediate means to leave Roshar;
  • You end up close to the location you want to be (e.g. if you want to join Dalinar, you appear somewhere in Urithiru).

What will you do to survive?

• Seek out the Ghostbloods – hopefully you’re smart enough to survive until they ask you to join 
  • Join team Diagram – they do terrible things, but are so far the only ones with a solid plan, and Vargo already allowed one outsider to be part of it instead of killing her, so you’re probably fine until Szeth comes for retribution
  • Join the Kholins – Dalinar will welcome your Cosmere knowledge, but they might lock you up in Urithiru for your own safety and where’s the fun in that?
  • Join Amaram and the Sons of Honor – shame on you
  • Join Nin and the Skybreakers – no surgebinding powers for you then
  • Warn the Shin - they have 7 Honorblades after all
  • Seek out the 17th Shard – looking for those Hoid avoids, are you sure it’s a good idea?
  • Ask Hoid – he could certainly help you worldhop somewhere more pleasant, but would he?
  • Go to Lift – because she’s awesome and has the best food, also she’s probably the least likely person to harm you in any way
  • Join the Ardentia – this provides you with immediate shelter and food, you’ll have the chance to learn some basic fighting skills and steal a soulcaster, not to mention they’re plotting something… right?
  • Enlist in an army – whichever you want
  • Relax on the Reshi Islands – let others deal with the Desolation
  • Ask the Nightwatcher to bring you back - you still get a curse and your visit on Roshar was a one-time opportunity
  • Survive on your own – if you can
  •  Something else – do share your plan!

Here's mine:

Attracting a spren and becoming a surgebinder seems like my best hope for surviving, though it’s a slim chance considering how very few spren are bonding. I won’t join Mr T, but I also won’t actively try to stop him until I’m certain I either have a better plan or the Diagram won’t save Roshar. Seeking the 17th Shard sounds great on paper, but I don’t want to antagonize Hoid.  I’ll also stay away from Nin and co.

I won’t go to the Kholins, because they might prevent me from doing much; plus I wouldn't trust Shallan with my life and Jasnah might get rid of me when she decides I’m no longer of use to her. I also want to stay away from the Ghostbloods – it’s an interaction I don’t believe I’ll survive. But I might drop by to speak to Vasher. He’s looking for Nightblood, so he’ll probably appreciate my help on that. He’s a worldhopper, so he might agree to take me to a safer world, though I’ll prefer to stick around for awhile.

I’ll go to Lift first. Wyndle is likely to listen to me and Lift will shelter me. They are the easiest to convince to prepare for the everstorm and the Voidbringers. Also, they aren't in the center of a conflict, so I’ll be relatively safe until I decide what to do next.  I'll try to avoid all major players and stay off their radar at first, but have the Prime Aqasix write to Dalinar some major things I know as if they were his thoughts.

What will you do?

edit: minor wording changes and adding a bit more to my plan

Edited by Aleksiel

I would join the Kohlins. Definitely. I would use my knowledge of modern world to help Navani think on new ways to use stormlight. I would set myself as an engineer, much like I am here. I would also refuse to hide my safe hand.

I would explain to Dalinar the virtue of democracy.

I would explain to Adolin a thing or two about women. In fact, if it were my 20 years old self (with my 30 something knowledge, of course) that ends up in Roshar, I would probably try myself with him :ph34r: Just for fun, you know. It would probably make Dalinar angry though.

I would spend some time with Renarin and try to boost his confidence a little. I would explain to him being intellectual is not unmanly.

I would teach all men how ridiculous for them not to know how to read and write.

I would probably try to make friend with Jasnah and Shallan. The latest, I would try to advice about the unwisest of her current associations. Jasnah, I would just try to grasp her knowledge and I would love to study with her, not as a ward though, but as an equal.

I do not think I could attract a spren as I am not broken nor do I exhibit one of the primary attributes. I am not a warmonger so I would be happy to remain safe behind the Kohlin's army B) However, if I were to chose an order for myself, I would probably be an Elsecaller like Jasnah.

It's a good plan, but that way you'll get in the middle of it all and make yourself a target for Mr T (he probably won't appreciate you helping Dalinar), the 17th Shard might want to you to keep your Cosmere knowledge to yourself, the Sons of Honor and the Ghostbloods will want you with them (and who knows how many other secret societies). Going to the Kholins is a risky decision and will make you instantly known to the most dangerous people on Roshar.

Fun question!

I would absolutely join Dalinar.  By far the best set of people around, with the best chance of keeping me safe, making a difference to Roshar, and finding my knowledge useful.

I'm not sure how useful my Cosmere knowledge would be at this point, as it's too much speculation and full of holes.  There are other planets but I don't know how to get to them.  There are pools that you might be able to worldhop through.  There are a couple of Shards on Roshar, one of whom is called Cultivation but that's pretty much all I know about her...   This is not actionable info for Dalinar right now.

Same for my real world knowledge.  I know about gunpowder, and airplanes, and electricity, but I have no idea how to bootstrap these things from scratch in a non technical society!

What could really come in handy, though, is my near-omniscient knowledge of the first two Stormlight books.  I could tell the Kholins about Taravangian, increase their Radiant count by sending someone off to look for Lift, fill them in about what's up with Eshonai, send a scouting party to locate and gather the non-transformed Parshendi escapees, give important background about Szeth.

And if they don't immediately welcome me to the fold, I come bearing valuable blackmail material  (hey there Adolin...)

Edited by shawnhargreaves

It's a good plan, but that way you'll get in the middle of it all and make yourself a target for Mr T (he probably won't appreciate you helping Dalinar), the 17th Shard might want to you to keep your Cosmere knowledge to yourself, the Sons of Honor and the Ghostbloods will want you with them (and who knows how many other secret societies). Going to the Kholins is a risky decision and will make you instantly known to the most dangerous people on Roshar.

Well, since I am a lowly darkeye, they might not see me as a thread.... It may prove difficult to approach the Kohlins, but I am sure I could find a way. If Kaladin can get close to them, so can I.

I would go team up with Jasnah.  She should be able to appreciate the importance of Cosmere knowledge, and she seems to be one of the most capable characters at the moment.  Teaming up with her seems to be the safest idea, while still making a difference on Roshar.

I would either go to Hoid and tell him what I know about the Cosmere, then see how he reacts to that info. Because I know how to make bombs that Wax's Scadrial can only dream about I reckon I could make myself either too risky to fight/ to valuable to get rid of. Or I would go to Dalinar and that lot, use my convenient blue eyes to get an audience and basically use the same technique. Too dangerous to fight/ Too valuable to lose. Then apply science to Fabrials and see how it goes.

Hoid is far more dangerous than the Kholins but he is also far more adept than them with magic. Which is basically what I would want in that in that situation. He would never really think of me as a threat but if I inflicted enough damage he would pause and perhaps hear me out. If not, meh, I hope he would end it quickly.

Dalinar is safer but a longer road to magic. I would have the Diagram to battle but if Dalinar acted soon enough he could end the Diagram before it was a threat.

Their is no way the Diagram would ever predict an Earthling.

I would go to the Nightmother, and ask for the capacity to Survive. Then I would join the Sons of Honor, Steal as much Info as I could, and Betray them by joining the GhostBloods. I would get to a High enough rank to learn their Worldhopping Skills, and go to Nalthis. I'd just live there.

Without knowing the language, you're pretty much screwed. So first priority is learning Alethi or some other language - the ardentia would likely help, and I imagine you could probably speak a few words that stay the same in all languages to lord some important knowledge over many of the factions. Head to Kharbranth's palace and speak the words "Dova, ardent" repeatedly and you might be able to get a meeting with her (or thrown in jail).

Edited by Moogle

Without knowing the language, you're pretty much screwed. So first priority is learning Alethi or some other language - the ardentia would likely help, and I imagine you could probably speak a few words that stay the same in all languages to lord some important knowledge over many of the factions. Head to Kharbranth's palace and speak the words "Dova, ardent" repeatedly and you might be able to get a meeting with her (or thrown in jail).

I though about it, that's why there is the following condition in the OP: 

• You can speak and understand all languages (doesn't apply to anything written, plus you keep your accent);

You've just missed it :)

I would either go to Hoid and tell him what I know about the Cosmere, then see how he reacts to that info. Because I know how to make bombs that Wax's Scadrial can only dream about I reckon I could make myself either too risky to fight/ to valuable to get rid of. Or I would go to Dalinar and that lot, use my convenient blue eyes to get an audience and basically use the same technique. Too dangerous to fight/ Too valuable to lose. Then apply science to Fabrials and see how it goes. Hoid is far more dangerous than the Kholins but he is also far more adept than them with magic. Which is basically what I would want in that in that situation. He would never really think of me as a threat but if I inflicted enough damage he would pause and perhaps hear me out. If not, meh, I hope he would end it quickly. Dalinar is safer but a longer road to magic. I would have the Diagram to battle but if Dalinar acted soon enough he could end the Diagram before it was a threat. Their is no way the Diagram would ever predict an Earthling.

Hmm, isn't there?

But who is the wanderer, the wild piece, the one who makes no sense? I glimpse at his implications, and the world opens to me. I shy back. Impossible. Is it?

You can't be too certain what Diagram T predicted and what he didn't expect.

I'd probably make a beeline for one of those spanreed hubs and take out some patents on cryptography and data compression/transmission. I'd also invent the telegraph key and/or skip the sophistication of their communications network forward a century or two. Packet switching!!!

I'd definitely try to ally myself with the Kholins.   Most of the world's surgebinders (currently) are centered around that one family.  If possible, I'd try to get in the good graces of Jasnah with the knowledge of the Cosmere (as others have done).

The only problem is that the guards and others around them have a penchant for dying.  They're like the Star Trek red shirts of Roshar.   :P

The other drawback would be having to be around Elhokar.  Man, I'd want to smack that whiner.  Probably would wind up in prison at the least.  Hey, maybe that would let me meet Vasher (provided he winds up in jail AGAIN).

I think we can be pretty sure that the Reshi isles are gonna have some kind of significance in the future. Besides, I think we're assuming too much here, namely that we would have the power to change things on the large scale. The only realistic suggestion I've seen has been Kurk's with the data transmission tech, though with the transmission occurring in a 3-D space and instead of 1-D, the possibilities are much greater

Well thank you for the compliment, Swimmingly. Yes, the 3D space does give some nice extra options, but honestly it's not that necessary to do anything but 1's and 0's. Crypto is probably easier if you can do the equivalent of a "picture password" for one-time signiatures, though...

I really should have taken that one crypto course. I only have an algorithmic understanding and a bit of the high-level networking perspective, rather than a more grounded knowledge of the field.

Also, I think I'd take an afternoon and invent the telephoneB)

I think we can be pretty sure that the Reshi isles are gonna have some kind of significance in the future. Besides, I think we're assuming too much here, namely that we would have the power to change things on the large scale. The only realistic suggestion I've seen has been Kurk's with the data transmission tech, though with the transmission occurring in a 3-D space and instead of 1-D, the possibilities are much greater

Hm, yes and no. Any of us telling Dalinar what we currently know will change his strategy, thus influencing on a large scale the events. If the Kholins know about the Diagram, the Honorblades, that the Heralds won't come to help and so on, their approach will be different. Don't ignore how limited knowledge the characters have compared to readers. Sure, none of us can provide a way to defeat Odium, but influencing major characters' decisions is doable. 

Edited by Aleksiel

The other drawback would be having to be around Elhokar.  Man, I'd want to smack that whiner.  Probably would wind up in prison at the least.  Hey, maybe that would let me meet Vasher (provided he winds up in jail AGAIN).

That makes two of us. Perhaps we could team up? :ph34r:

Go meet up with Taravangian. Explain to him that the Diagram is doomed due to Honor's constraints on Investiture and the possibility of a champion. Then advise him to go meet up with the Kholins, because they've got all the Surgebinders and information. They also have Hoid, of course, at least some of the time.

I'll probably join the Kholins.  It would be awkward, though.  Just think about how much we'd jump around, and how nonsensical we would sound!

"Hey, so I have all this information that will help you survive the upcoming desolation.

First, we have two radiants on the loose.  There's an edgedancer named Lift in Azir, she's friends with the new prime there.  Also, Jasnah's alive and traveling around with Hoid.  They're in some forested region about a week from civilization.  She's an elsecaller.

Also, don't trust Tarivangian.  He made a trip to the Nightwatcher, and asked for the capacity to save the world.  He has fluctuating intelligence, and made a large diagram that instructs him on how to survive the desolation.  He slowly kills the poor of Kharbranth in order to record their death rattles.  The hospitals are a facade.  Also, he knows what caused the recreance.  I don't know what it is, but I know that he knows what it is.  Also, he sent Szeth to kill Dalinar.

Speaking of Szeth, he's on his way to Shinovar with the Herald of Justice, who used a fabrial of regrowth on him after Kaladin killed him, in order to slay the stone shamans, who hold 7 honorblades.  Also, he hid a captive unmade in Jah Keved, you should find it.

How did he get the unmade?  Gavilar gave it to him.  He founded the sons of honor, who feel that causing a desolation would bring back the heralds.  That's why the Parshendi killed him.  Amaram and likely Restares are active members.  You should go get them, and Taln.  By the way, that Taln fellow was either the real deal or a doppelganger sent by Odium.  Not sure which. 

But don't fight Szeth!  He has Nightblood, a sentient sword from another world that is stronger than a shardblade by many magnitudes.  If you want to know more, ask the Ardent Zahel.  He made Nightblood, and followed him here from Nalthis."

And I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg...