[Help!] Cosmetimancy

Quiver

So, I was re-reading old posts and found a comment which led me to snark about 'a whole range of cosmetics-based magic', and it kind of got me thinking. I am supposedly working on a number if fictions at the moment! but I feel like I need to do a good one-chapter short story, if only because all my current projects keep getting abandoned.

A story in the world of this cosmetics magic sounded kind of neat. Visually, I think it's distinctive, and I kind of like the reverse of expectations; normally, people who wear too much make-up aren't regarded very highly. A world where "that" girl is a high-.level Mage sounds fun.

My only problem is I'm completely stuck on how the cosmetics should work. Right now, the most magical idea I have is that the various make-ups, blush, etc are made to retain qualities of the plants they are made from; basically alchemy, except the results are worn rather than ingested. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative systems?

Firstly, you know you're a Sanderfan when you see Comere-tics and its takes you like three sentences to actually read the word right.

I'm not thinking alchemically wise, but this is what I could come up with:

You could go with different quality cosmetics doing magic better or worse. Different types of looks have different power type or power level effects - so really subtle make-up does one thing, heavy/bright eyeliner/eyeshadow lipstick does something else, maybe different colours do different things, and then you combine colours and effects for different purposes. Wearing no cosmetics would have to mean something, too.

For example, maybe purple gives you power x. Purple lipstick is one application of it, say, much stronger and harder to control because its really obvious. But subtle violet eyeliner is a much more delicate but less powerful application. Different shades of purple eyeshadow has separate effects.

You then get limitations where you can only be wearing so much cosmetics at any one time, and if your character is (presumably) fashion conscious, they wont be wearing say blue and red and green and orange together, so they have to choose beforehand what to wear or take with. In addition, you'de want to wear something obvious so people will see "oh she's wearing purple lipstick she can levitate objects (or whatver) so they dont notice the nearly invisible blush that allows emotional manipulation.

It also loses power when you cry (b/c of smudging), but you can reapply.

And then you get a zillion and one different KINDS of cosmetics. Like what happens if you use eyeshadow as eyeliner. Or liquid vs pencil vs powder. The applications of this is massive (pun intended).

And maybe you can't tell whose a magic user and who's just a girl who likes wearing make-up. Or you think someone isn't a magic user because they're not wearing any, then they pull out lip gloss and do some magic in three seconds flat.

Also, if there's no make-up allowed at school, no magic is allowed at school. Younger girls and most guys won't be magic users. Celebrities will either be powerful mages or pretending to be.

Edited by Delightful

So in circuses clowns can double as magicians. Doubly creepy......

Remember, Infinity x2 is still infinity. (the clowns, I mean. Not the magicians.)

Edited by Baine

Honestly, it's the cultural ramifications that most interested in. There's certain stereotypes when it comes to cosmetics, in real life and in literature, and I'd kind of like to write a story where those stereotypes are reversed, or at least challenged.

I'd thought of this being a typical fantasy medieval world, but... Delightfuls comments has me thinking it might be more interesting to place it in an earth-like/AoL-era Scadrial world, where culture has already been shaped by it.

Men wearing make-up was definitely something I'd considered though. Yes, the main character would probably be female... but if cosmetic 'war paint' is linked to power, I can't imagine there being a taboo on men wearing it.

What if there's war paint - masculine magic - and makeup - feminine magic. The main character discovers that he/she can only use the opposite gender's power, or can can use both? What if such a thing is highly tabboo, to the point that the culture of those capable of both magics operate entirely in secret?

What if there's war paint - masculine magic - and makeup - feminine magic. The main character discovers that he/she can only use the opposite gender's power, or can can use both? What if such a thing is highly tabboo, to the point that the culture of those capable of both magics operate entirely in secret?

Taboo?

Why, you mean like the idea of cross-dressing might be considered taboo?

This is the sound of me giggling like a madman. I love that idea; as I say, this was intended as a short story, so I don't know how muchI could work into it... but that little nugget has got me intrigued enough to want to build the whole world for it now.

Warpaint has me thinking of the Celts, which could be a cool background thing. Army camouflage totally fits as well - green and brown would be military colours then. In the desert theyde use brown and yellow (I think) which would fit different climates, maybe.

Its like the 'girl crossdresses to join the army' trope except with gender-specific magic,whether thats reversed in the protagonist or not. I have no odea if this is the direction you were thinking of, but i think its cool. :)

Maybe your magic could have self-image as a component. Somebody with poor self-image would need more augmentation to allow them access to the magic.

On another note, maybe the cosmetic changes could be intented to imitate the appearance of magical beings. For instance, applying makeup to imitate the appearance of a fire-being would "trick" whatever force or god that endows magical powers into allowing you access to the particular beings powers.

Maybe your magic could have self-image as a component. Somebody with poor self-image would need more augmentation to allow them access to the magic.

Or only someone with positive self-image can access it. A little like you have to be honourable to be a windrunner, kind of thing.

You may want to look up some native american traditions regarding face painting. There is some great symbolism for the colors used and the symbols painted. I was actually considereing a system similar to this myself. I was going to go more towards the war paint aspect and face painting than actual make up.