How do Compounding Twinborns work? *spoilers*

whynaut

On 11/16/2011 at 11:43 AM, fyodor said:

I understand that there are plausible post-hac explanations (i.e. TLR isn't storing new age, he's doing it the same way as Miles but during his "old" periods he's just drawing less age.) And in some ways the Miles model makes more practical sense. But that wasn't how it was described by Sazed or by Brandon previous to this book.

Considering how long this thread is, I didn't expect to be the first "devil's advocate".

Compounding requires the metal mind be originally filled by the user, for the 10 fold return on investment to occur.

In Miles case: He was a moderately healthy middle aged man.  Storing a little bit of health in his gold mind would be easy, than compounding would provide a "seemingly" infinite supply back.

Howe've the Lord Ruler was oooooold!

To store up the necessary youth to appear 30, he would need to store then compound Atium constantly.  Compounding most of his other metals (pewter, gold, etc..) to survive the times he wasn't tapping his Atium mind.

I believe the LR was at his limit with compounding, and was betting on the WoA power to "recharge" him enough to survive the next decade.

58 minutes ago, Sheridan_rd said:

I believe the LR was at his limit with compounding, and was betting on the WoA power to "recharge" him enough to survive the next decade.

If TLR was at his limit he would've had to have been compounding all the time, which clearly wasn't happening since large amounts of atium were still being diverted to the kandra store and nobles were still receiving it.

1 hour ago, Sheridan_rd said:

To store up the necessary youth to appear 30, he would need to store then compound Atium constantly.  Compounding most of his other metals (pewter, gold, etc..) to survive the times he wasn't tapping his Atium mind.

TLR tapped Youth from his Atiummind always. There aren't times with "he wasn't tapping his Atiummind"...When Vin saw him old in his refuge, he was simply tapping less Youth (both to save it and because He feel right that old and consumed body). I imagine TLR spent almost all his time "as an old man" to tap more Atium just when he have to show for public

On 2/14/2017 at 4:15 PM, TheJackOfShit said:

why not?

I do not remember if we have express confirmation that the magic system itself limits you from storing 100% health, but if it doesn't then fall back to this logic:
Human beings may be dumb sometimes, but they aren't that stupid. If I start storing a whole lot of health and feel extremely faint/lightheaded and/or supremely nauseous out of nowhere, then that's a sign to store a bit less. For those who don't get the memo, they'd probably end up involuntarily passing out, at which point they stop storing and revert to normal health

• Chaos locked this topic