How does allomancy interact with invested objects?

Wittles

Question

This might have been answered before but I would like to know if you can allomantically affect invested metals. Follow up question, if there was an awakened metal thing, (basically the cosmere equivalent of a robot) would an allomancer be able to do things like steelpush it? Or would the Breaths in it affect that?

(The investiture robot is kind of ridiculous I know, but I need to know for sure)

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Witless of Shinovar said:

This might have been answered before but I would like to know if you can allomantically affect invested metals. Follow up question, if there was an awakened metal thing, (basically the cosmere equivalent of a robot) would an allomancer be able to do things like steelpush it? Or would the Breaths in it affect that?

(The investiture robot is kind of ridiculous I know, but I need to know for sure)

Have you read all of Mistborn? This is discussed in Era 2 (especially Band of Mourning and TLM)

WoBs: (edited for length and relevance - linked to full WoBs)

Spoiler

Questioner

Would a Mistborn be able to push and pull on a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

That's an excellent question. The answer is, it would be very hard. In Mistborn, anything that's pushing on certain metals, particularly infused metals, gets progressively harder the more Investiture they've got in them. And Shardblades tend to be very highly Invested; they'd be very difficult to push on.

Questioner

Could you use steel or iron to Push or Pull off Shardblades or Shardplate?

Brandon Sanderson

Anything that's Invested resists, the more Invested it is the more it resists.

Argent

Can a Returned like Lightsong go to Roshar and form a bond with a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Investiture interferes with other Investiture.

Argent

And they have a lot of it.

Brandon Sanderson

And they have a lot of it. That is not-- It's not completely-- For instance you can Push on Invested metal, but it's hard. There's a resistance, the more Invested the harder--

Questioner

So I have heard that it is harder to Push a Shardblade with Allomancy than it is a normal sword.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

The thing-- An Invested object is more difficult with any of the magics. So, for instance, even a Feruchemical metalmind is going to be harder. Depends on how much it is Invested, and things like that. But, y'know, it can range from you barely notice it or don't even notice it to "Wow, that's hard to Push on". Same for a Hemalurgical spike, depending on how much Investiture is left over, how long has it been outside of a body, and things like that. Same thing Pushing on something inside a person's body, their Investiture is going to interfere with it.

10 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Have you read all of Mistborn? This is discussed in Era 2 (especially Band of Mourning and TLM)

WoBs: (edited for length and relevance - linked to full WoBs)

Reveal hidden contents

I guess I just didn't pick up on that for some reason. Thanks for the explanation!