Scadrial's cold war

Ati16

So I have seen a lot of people talk about the Elendel-Malwish cold war, but there is one point I think people have ignored. Where did the Malwish get their trellium? At the end of the book we were told that Elendel and the Malwish were stockpiling ettmetal and trellium. It is logical that both have ettmetal, but the Malwish probably don't even know about Autonomy and her metal. Any thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Ati16 said:

So I have seen a lot of people talk about the Elendel-Malwish cold war, but there is one point I think people have ignored. Where did the Malwish get their trellium? At the end of the book we were told that Elendel and the Malwish were stockpiling ettmetal and trellium. It is logical that both have ettmetal, but the Malwish probably don't even know about Autonomy and her metal. Any thoughts?

The Malwish have Trellium? Where was that said?

That doesn't make much sense to me but I guess it does equalize the arms race now.

I'm going to guess that it was Kelsier's doing, giving some Trellium to the Malwish and telling them how to use it to cause this exact situation, a Cold War where both sides will be developing technology at a rapid rate in order to keep the advantage. Which is exactly what Kelsier wants. No actual war so long as he's careful and accelerated technological development for the whole of Scadrial. A rather daring plan.

The impression I got from Wax’s epilogue was that the Malwish don’t have access to trellium. Harmonium is sourced from only the southern continent, which cut off the northern continent’s supply. But the Basin has enough stockpiled to be dangerous. 

I assume that Autonomy arranged for the Set to get hold of some trellium, so now that Autonomy has withdrawn (for now), there’s no more where that came from. The Basin only has a tiny amount left over. That will be very limiting in terms of trying to weaponise it. (Though the Malwish might not know how trellium works or how much there is/isn’t, so it might be possible to bluff them?)

2 hours ago, RedBlue said:

The impression I got from Wax’s epilogue was that the Malwish don’t have access to trellium. Harmonium is sourced from only the southern continent, which cut off the northern continent’s supply. But the Basin has enough stockpiled to be dangerous. 

I assume that Autonomy arranged for the Set to get hold of some trellium, so now that Autonomy has withdrawn (for now), there’s no more where that came from. The Basin only has a tiny amount left over. That will be very limiting in terms of trying to weaponise it. (Though the Malwish might not know how trellium works or how much there is/isn’t, so it might be possible to bluff them?)

They probably don't need that much trellium. And I sure they could find a lot from the spicks the set made.