Ranryu Attempts To Write Music

Ranryu

I write music as a hobby, sort of. At random times, a melody will just pop into my head. On the occasions that I write it down, I typically end up with something I'm proud of, but too shy to share. My piano teacher told me I should enter some of my songs in a composing competition, so I would really appreciate feedback. :D

I put the score and the audio for convenience. I lack a mic that can record myself properly, so the audio is the notation program's robot piano. It... doesn't always have the best sound. The main problem is that the robot can't gradually change speed or phrase measures how I intend them to be phrased. The score itself is also a little wonky, but still readable. 

For this song, I have a rather important question. The melody sounds familiar, and I'm wondering if I subconsciously plagiarized. If anyone recognizes the main melody from somewhere else, can they tell me?

I hope it's not too terrible! :lol:

Music Score

Robot Recording

Edited by Ranryu
edited for bad grammar

4 hours ago, MysticalShadows said:

Impressive! I really like it!

Could I ask what program you used for the sheet music?

Thank you!

It's called flat. My school system pays for it, so I use it more than programs like musescore or noteflight.

Edited by Ranryu

11 hours ago, Ranryu said:

For this song, I have a rather important question. The melody sounds familiar, and I'm wondering if I subconsciously plagiarized. If anyone recognizes the main melody from somewhere else, can they tell me?

It sounds semi like a theme from hollow knight, but I only catch glimpses. It's really good, better than some projects I've done in flat before.

Dang, that was very good. I've tried to write music but it never turns out well. The main melody is very catchy and interesting, I even find it stuck in my head as I write this.

Applause.

Also side note, I just listened to Dirtmouth and remembered that I should really play Hollow Knight. 

12 hours ago, Ranryu said:

I write music as a hobby, sort of. At random times, a melody will just pop into my head. On the occasions that I write it down, I typically end up with something I'm proud of, but too shy to share. My piano teacher told me I should enter some of my songs in a composing competition, so I would really appreciate feedback. :D

Very nice! Never feel shy to share your melodies- music is meant to be shared.

What kind of feedback would you like? I have experience with composition competitions and I'd love to go over it with you if you're interested.

1 hour ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Yeah Dirthmouth.

I've actually never played Hollow Knight, but I'm gonna go listen to Dirtmouth right now.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

Dang, that was very good. I've tried to write music but it never turns out well. The main melody is very catchy and interesting, I even find it stuck in my head as I write this.

Applause.

Also side note, I just listened to Dirtmouth and remembered that I should really play Hollow Knight. 

19 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Very nice! Never feel shy to share your melodies- music is meant to be shared.

What kind of feedback would you like? I have experience with composition competitions and I'd love to go over it with you if you're interested.

Thank you! 

The song will sound different (hopefully a lot better) when I actually perform it, but I would appreciate any kind of feedback that I could use to improve it.

• 2 weeks later...

(Yeah, this is a double post. Sue me :P)

This is a song I wrote a while ago, but I enjoy playing it, and the competition judge said he liked it. (Yes, still robot recording ;)) The top line could be any higher-voice instrument, but it just sounded best on piano for the recording.

Music Score

Recording