Cohesion and Tension on Liquids?

JustQuestin2004

27 minutes ago, Quantus said:

If possible I think it's in the Tension side of the pairing, since that makes things more solid vs less.  It would be interesting if it could polymerize water, or even freeze it, to achieve a solidification.  

Polymerise? Are you referring to Cohesion with this? 

Also do you think it would be possible to affect the ground in Shadesmar with Tension or Cohesion, because Shadesmar is entirely made of Investiture and I don't know if that would mess it up or not.

8 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Polymerise? Are you referring to Cohesion with this? 

Nope, Tension.  In terms of the Surges, Cohesion allows the softening and reshaping of solid object, while Tension is the one that stiffens things and makes flexible things rigid.  To me it's kind of like how the Surge of Friction actually acts to reduce it and making things more sticky falls into Adhesion.  

8 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Also do you think it would be possible to affect the ground in Shadesmar with Tension or Cohesion, because Shadesmar is entirely made of Investiture and I don't know if that would mess it up or not.

Oh god I dont know.  I think last he was asked he still hadnt fully decided if Shadesmar had it's own weird state of matter (some sort of pseudo-godmatter, I would think).  On the other hand, it does have actual water humidity.  On the other, other hand, a lot of what's there is the Cognitive Expression of stuff from the physical realm where everything is at least a little self-aware, so for all we know the landmass is actually the body of a giant spren (or something equally wild and/or Invested).

All that being said, those two surges are specifically known to be easily defeated by even a little investiture in their target, so for practical purposes I doubt it.  

Just now, Quantus said:

Nope, Tension.  In terms of the Surges, Cohesion allows the softening and reshaping of solid object, while Tension is the one that stiffens things and makes flexible things rigid.  To me it's kind of like how the Surge of Friction actually acts to reduce it and making things more sticky falls into Adhesion.  

Ah okay, so using Cohesion on Liquids would be rather superfluous but Tension on liquids would probably work.

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

All that being said, those two surges are specifically known to be easily defeated by even a little investiture in their target, so for practical purposes I doubt it.  

Aw, I was going to write a story about a guy traversing the Cognitive Realm by moving a small patch of land around by using Cohesion.

Back to the drawing board, or just to boats I guess. 

22 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Ah okay, so using Cohesion on Liquids would be rather superfluous but Tension on liquids would probably work.

Aw, I was going to write a story about a guy traversing the Cognitive Realm by moving a small patch of land around by using Cohesion.

Back to the drawing board, or just to boats I guess. 

Fwiw, somebody with the Surge of Transformation can manifest Beads with Investiture, as can some randomly talented spren. You could do some buddy roadtrip odyssey story about a radiant travelling with a spren or 3, with at least one of them able to manifest objects.  

On 9/9/2022 at 1:41 AM, Yumiya said:

Or just take a ship in with you... If clothes and normal swords can go, so can the lumber for a ship.

Yeah That's the plan for my story, but he's going to need a lot of boats though.

It's what happens when your trying to evacuate a whole population. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 10:05 PM, Quantus said:

Oh god I dont know.  I think last he was asked he still hadnt fully decided if Shadesmar had it's own weird state of matter (some sort of pseudo-godmatter, I would think).  On the other hand, it does have actual water humidity.  On the other, other hand, a lot of what's there is the Cognitive Expression of stuff from the physical realm where everything is at least a little self-aware, so for all we know the landmass is actually the body of a giant spren (or something equally wild and/or Invested).

I just read Rythm of War, so a few Lightweavers mined some obsidian from the ground in Shadesmar then Soulcasted it into food. So I guess the ground in Shadesmar isn't that Invested? At least not to the point that it couldn't be unaffected by Surges.

6 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I just read Rythm of War, so a few Lightweavers mined some obsidian from the ground in Shadesmar then Soulcasted it into food. So I guess the ground in Shadesmar isn't that Invested? At least not to the point that it couldn't be unaffected by Surges.

Hmm, Good example.  Soulcasting in particular can overcome more Investiture than most, since it can convert a living person into Fire, for example, so it might be a bit of an exception.  Also if they break the obsidian off first and then soulcast it, there might be a Person-to-meat transition happening like when they double-cut with a shardblade.  

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

Hmm, Good example.  Soulcasting in particular can overcome more Investiture than most, since it can convert a living person into Fire, for example, so it might be a bit of an exception.  Also if they break the obsidian off first and then soulcast it, there might be a Person-to-meat transition happening like when they double-cut with a shardblade.  

Hmmm... I'll keep reading, if I find something I'll point it out. But now I'm lean towards 'Probaby yes' on the 'Surges affect ground in Shadesmar' question.