The Big Percy Jackson Thread For All Those Demigods Who Are On The Shard

Medium

4 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

*giggles*

y’all maybe I should stop watching things late at night. And maybe stop having feelings, that would help.

Call it cheesy all you want, I thought that last episode was awesome. 

Hehe I thought it was too and also watched it late at night!!!

*high fives*

On 1/13/2024 at 8:33 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

One thing I want to mention that I did not like is... Medusa. That sequence, isolated from the entire Percy Jackson series, is a good scene. Brought to bear with the entire series... Idk, man, idk. I feel like they need to be really careful here. I want them to show that the gods have reasons for what they do and give an actual reason why Percy and co. are fighting for the gods. Ares, I think, did the best job at this in the books, showing off how terrible the gods are while also showing that they are not all bad. Hades also does a wonderful job at this, but I haven't seen him yet. Medusa's whole thing was entirely unnecessary. And it would've been entirely good IF THEY HAD ACTUALLY STATED THE WHOLE STORY LIKE THEY NEEDED TO SO THAT PEOPLE AREN'T CONFUSED. YA KNOW? But that's just me...

I think the Medusa scene was actually very good in terms of the story. It's a reminder that it's not just that some gods are "bad" and some are "good." They all are mixed in that respect, because nothing about them is supposed to represent morality.

I think the reason they might fight for their own gods is partially that they are just the children of those gods, and also because in some cases the alternative (i.e. Kronos) is worse. And they don't even always fight for the gods necessarily. The lightning thief arc is for their benefit, but SoM is for Grover and Camp, TC is largely for Annabeth, stuff like that. They mean to protect themselves and camp, and the gods are sometimes helpful and sometimes nuisances.

5 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

I think the Medusa scene was actually very good in terms of the story. It's a reminder that it's not just that some gods are "bad" and some are "good." They all are mixed in that respect, because nothing about them is supposed to represent morality.

I think the reason they might fight for their own gods is partially that they are just the children of those gods, and also because in some cases the alternative (i.e. Kronos) is worse. And they don't even always fight for the gods necessarily. The lightning thief arc is for their benefit, but SoM is for Grover and Camp, TC is largely for Annabeth, stuff like that. They mean to protect themselves and camp, and the gods are sometimes helpful and sometimes nuisances.

All of that is true, but it needs to be countered with more examples of that there are the good gods too. I haven't seen the latest two episodes, though, which I'm going to fix sometime in the next few days, so I could be completely wrong and they've shown some stuff with good gods. I just worry that the last season will have problems because of this. 

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

All of that is true, but it needs to be countered with more examples of that there are the good gods too. I haven't seen the latest two episodes, though, which I'm going to fix sometime in the next few days, so I could be completely wrong and they've shown some stuff with good gods. I just worry that the last season will have problems because of this. 

There aren't good gods, there are gods who do helpful things sometimes. And yes, in the next episodes they get helped out a bit.

10 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

There aren't good gods, there are gods who do helpful things sometimes. And yes, in the next episodes they get helped out a bit.

There's at least one or two. Hermes, for example. I will argue for hours on end on why he's really the only good guy among the gods. 

8 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

There's at least one or two. Hermes, for example. I will argue for hours on end on why he's really the only good guy among the gods. 

Maybe he does more generally positive things, but good things do not always happen to travellers. My point is that none of the gods are meant to be paragons, so there's nothing wrong with exposing their flaws. In fact, I'd say it's a good reminder that just because our protagonist is Poseidon's son doesn't mean Poseidon's faults are wholly excusable.

7 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Maybe he does more generally positive things, but good things do not always happen to travellers. My point is that none of the gods are meant to be paragons, so there's nothing wrong with exposing their flaws. In fact, I'd say it's a good reminder that just because our protagonist is Poseidon's son doesn't mean Poseidon's faults are wholly excusable.

That is very true, but I would like not only the God's faults revealed but also Medusa's too. They didn't even mention (in the episodes I've seen) the whole story about how Medusa and Poseidon went to Athena's temple and made out there- Like, is that not also Medusa's fault?

1 minute ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

That is very true, but I would like not only the God's faults revealed but also Medusa's too. They didn't even mention (in the episodes I've seen) the whole story about how Medusa and Poseidon went to Athena's temple and made out there- Like, is that not also Medusa's fault?

Greek mythology has no canon. There are different versions of the story, but in general Poseidon seduced her (or... worse). In addition to that, Medusa got the punishment even though Poseidon was either completely or partially to blame depending on what you go with.

11 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Greek mythology has no canon. There are different versions of the story, but in general Poseidon seduced her (or... worse). In addition to that, Medusa got the punishment even though Poseidon was either completely or partially to blame depending on what you go with.

Of course not! I mean that the whole story in relation to how it was told in the books.

10 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

I'm having a hard time understanding what this means...

I'm saying that not everything in greek mythology is how it supposedly happened in the past of the Percy Jackson version of events. In the Percy Jackson world, in the books, it was explained that it was at least a little bit of Medusa's fault, if I recall, for the stuff in Athena's temple. But that's just what I remember. Idk if it's actually how it is in the book. That's just what I noticed.

3 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I'm saying that not everything in greek mythology is how it supposedly happened in the past of the Percy Jackson version of events. In the Percy Jackson world, in the books, it was explained that it was at least a little bit of Medusa's fault, if I recall, for the stuff in Athena's temple. But that's just what I remember. Idk if it's actually how it is in the book. That's just what I noticed.

I'm not sure. Either way, I actually quite liked the scene and the change. It's different, but it works, and I don't actually think it undermines anything core to the books.

2 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

I'm not sure. Either way, I actually quite liked the scene and the change. It's different, but it works, and I don't actually think it undermines anything core to the books.

Yeah, I'm mostly just hesitant because there's been a lot of big changes and shifts in how things play out. I really really really don't want a bad Percy Jackson adaptation here. I just wish we had more purely book scenes...

8 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Yeah, I'm mostly just hesitant because there's been a lot of big changes and shifts in how things play out. I really really really don't want a bad Percy Jackson adaptation here. I just wish we had more purely book scenes...

I think they kept the core of the characters and story well, so I'm not too worried.

Alright, I finally watched episodes five and six. I am no longer worried lol. Those episodes were so good. My only notes are

(spoilers)

Spoiler

that Hermes could've been better, a little more oomph needed to be in Lin's performance, I guess. More sincerity. And that Grover was a smidgeon more brave than I thought he would be this early on in the whole series, but that's just trivial at most lol since it was still awesome. I also wish we had more about the animals in the trip to Vegas. One last thing, Gabe needs to be less of a comedic character.

Episode five was a frickin' masterpiece. 

I'm so glad we didn't get that thing about Are's motor cycle lol.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the next episodes by a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have now seen the final two episodes.

Overall, I think the show is mostly good. I'm not too hung up on most of the changes (though I'm not a huge fan of Hades or their tendency to find things out early), and some of them are definitely positive. And overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

It definitely could be a lot better. I had hoped for more considering. Rick Riordan's involvement, but I suppose we don't know exactly what he thinks of it or how much influence he had. I think some problems came from trying too hard to make it its own thing and potentially the influence Disney had.

I am curious to see how the upcoming seasons go, especially how the changes play out into the rest of the series.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:00 PM, The Aspiring Archivist said:

I have now seen the final two episodes.

Overall, I think the show is mostly good. I'm not too hung up on most of the changes (though I'm not a huge fan of Hades or their tendency to find things out early), and some of them are definitely positive. And overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

It definitely could be a lot better. I had hoped for more considering. Rick Riordan's involvement, but I suppose we don't know exactly what he thinks of it or how much influence he had. I think some problems came from trying too hard to make it its own thing and potentially the influence Disney had.

I am curious to see how the upcoming seasons go, especially how the changes play out into the rest of the series.

my thoughts are mostly the same.

The only things I'm sad about are that we didn't get to see Charon doing funny stuff, Hades in all his glory of dreary sarcasm and the council of the gods in giant form. That was sick in the books.

58 minutes ago, Pineap-spider said:

Why has no one discussed The Lightning Thief Musical on this thread? I genuinely think it is a good adaptation. 

I feel like the fact we hear so many times from Percy how bad he is at singing a musical is a strange idea I have listened to the songs but not seen it and I feel like you can't get the true feeling of the world of Percy Jackson in a musical there are just lots of special effect and all the places they go it makes it seem like a unnatural adaptation. But I do like the songs and the Musical does seem to get the main point of the books across and is more faithful then other things (the Percy Jackson Movies).

19 minutes ago, Scars of Hathsin said:

Hello, I have been a fan since about 2017. I have read all the books except the latest one with Nico and Will.

I have also watched the movies and the series, I enjoyed the series much more than the movies. Though still different was much better. 

Does anyone agree with me?

I agree!! The show is much better than the movie. I like the movie, not because it's a good movie or that it's a good adaptation, but because I think it has good jokes and is just fun. Same with the second movie. They're certainly super bad movies that were super bad adaptations, but they're still super fun lol. 

"This... this is a pen!"

image.png.d4144c8b0cada516134a14ffe307c09f.png

I feel like the show was really good, but didn't capture exactly why the books were so good for me. Then again, I don't really like the first book too much. It's the last three of the main series onward that really captured me, so maybe I'm just not really a fan of the Lightning Thief, but a fan of Percy Jackson as a whole.

Oh my gosh though, I saw a video and now I have to talk about it.

Spoiler

They've ruined a lot of Annabeth's arc by making her there at the betrayal. Think about all the things with her being in denial that Luke is a traitor. Think about her whole thing in the third book. Think about how that all developed into how the last few scenes in Last Olympian.

I am now pissed off at Rick for allowing such a thing.

5 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

hey all. just realised there is no percy jackson rp. say one happened to be made would anyone be interested?

I’m surprised there isn’t one yet! I’d potentially be interested.