What is known about Kaladin's backstory?

S. Stormy

I was wondering. So we know that in Urithiru Kaladin is extremely famous, and is a war hero. And he has slave brands, so obviously he was a slave. What I want to know is what is common knowledge about his life, and what's not. Typing this it seems clear just that everyone knows that he was a bridgeman and a slave, but if anyone has any evidence to the contrary, please do tell!

Also, what do Shallan, Adolin, Dalinar etc. know about his past?

I think most people would know about how he rescued Dalinar at the Battle of the Tower, and about how Amaram betrayed him. Or at least, if you cared enough about him you could find out pretty easily.

He told Shallan all about his past in the chasms, and I think he told Adolin a lot too, since we've seen in RoW that Adolin knew about the time he almost killed Syl, so he probably knows more of Kal's backstory. I'm not sure what Dalinar would know. Tbh I'm very curious about what he told his parents.

59 minutes ago, leafelf said:

He told Shallan all about his past in the chasms, and I think he told Adolin a lot too, since we've seen in RoW that Adolin knew about the time he almost killed Syl, so he probably knows more of Kal's backstory. I'm not sure what Dalinar would know. Tbh I'm very curious about what he told his parents.

He did tell Shallan about some of his past, but not Tien, which was a MAJOR factor in modeling who he is. Good point about Adolin. I want to see that scene, where Kaladin tells him about plotting to kill his cousin. :)

And I'm very curious what his parents know! I doubt they know much because Kaladin wants to spare them from knowing about his pain. Also Lirin mentions something about Laral expecting the Mink to be a warrior "forged on the same anvil as Dalinar Kholin and Meridas Amaram". Mentioning Amaram in a vaguely positive way wouldn't seem to fit if he knows what Amaram did to Kal.

I think nobody knows most of the his past except orijinal Bridge 4 members because Kal said Syl that he told so many things to them about himself while they are bridgers. Shallan knows most of the events from Amaram's betrayal to the chasms. And Adolin knows that he nearly killed Syl. I doubt he knows the details but it means Kal tells him somethings about his past. And when Moash told Navani Kal's Brother died because of Elhokar, Dalinar and Rashone, she looked surprised. So I assume that isn't a common knowledge.