Interesting reddit post connecting death rattles to ideals

GriffinMaze

8 minutes ago, GriffinMaze said:

All of the scenes in which Kaladin swore his ideals appeared in depth rattles. This has probably been laid out before but it's new to me

I think there are probably a number of threads that mention this in some way, but I won’t turn down an opportunity to speculate on which DR might be tied Kal’s 5th Ideal. My money is on this one:

He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!

Because you can make the case that each of his Ideals after the first involved a tower, crown, and spear:

2 - fighting on the Tower with a spear to save Dalinar (who I count as the crown)

3 - fighting in the Pinnacle with a Sylspear to save Elhokar

4 - jumping off the tower of Urithiru, the top of which could be referred to as a crown, and flying through the air (he’s described as “piercing the blackness like a spear”) to save Lirin

I agree with @City of Sauronicon.

The only one I found that could fit was this one: 

I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw. 

—Collected on Shashanan 1173, 23 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a darkeyed youth of sixteen years. Sample is of particular note.[28]

I've read a theory somewhere around here that the 5th ideal of the Windrunners might be along the lines of "I will accept there are those who shouldn't be protected." I feel like this DR would fit, if that's the case.

Yes I think I have seen this discussed and on Coppermind these are credited to Kaladin. I think I like the one @Veez  posted and have always felt this one has something to do with either Kaladin or Szeth and the only thing I can come up with for the suckling child would be a future child of Shallan and Adolin :(

Yea the 5th ideal could be something like "I will sacrifice the lives of the few to save the many." And honestly makes a lot of sense to me based on the other ideals. It would be something Kaladin would have a very hard time accepting as well.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:54 AM, Veez said:

I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw. 

—Collected on Shashanan 1173, 23 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a darkeyed youth of sixteen years. Sample is of particular note.[28]

What if this is referring to taravangian instead of kaladin? As it seems like it could be dangerous for all of roshar to let Taravangian live now.

Edited by The Wandering Wizard