Is Marasi canonically aromantic?

alexyquest

Question

At the end of the Bands of Mourning, Marasi mentions that she doesn't truly feel the desire to be in a romantic relationship. She only thought she did because of societal pressure, and because of her fascination with Wax. Is Marasi canonically aromantic? Has this been confirmed? 

7 answers to this question

On 5/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, alexyquest said:

At the end of the Bands of Mourning, Marasi mentions that she doesn't truly feel the desire to be in a romantic relationship. She only thought she did because of societal pressure, and because of her fascination with Wax. Is Marasi canonically aromantic? Has this been confirmed? 

Here's the current WoB:

Questioner

What gender is Marasi?

Brandon Sanderson

Marasi identifies as a cisgendered woman.

I think Jasnah is the only confirmed asexual in the Cosmere so far (not that asexual and aromantic are really the same thing; but most think so), and I don't know if there are any aromantics confirmed in the Cosmere.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

On 15/05/2022 at 1:11 AM, Treamayne said:

Here's the current WoB:

I think Jasnah is the only confirmed asexual in the Cosmere so far (not that asexual and aromantic are really the same thing; but most think so), and I don't know if there are any aromantics confirmed in the Cosmere.

Gender has nothing to do with being alloromantic or aromantic. And asexuality has nothing to do with it neither.

25 minutes ago, Dracnor said:

Gender has nothing to do with being alloromantic or aromantic. And asexuality has nothing to do with it neither.

Depends on perspective, but I agree. I was mearly linking the relavent information we did have (showing the lack of information directly related to the question). 

Common parlance hasn't quite encapsulated all the different "why"s and "how"s. Wikipedia:

Spoiler

Aromanticism or aromanticity is a romantic orientation in which a person does not experience romantic attraction, whether entirely, partially or circumstantially. They may not feel romantic love, and may not feel the need to be in romantic relationships. It doesn't mean they are agamous.

They can have any sexual orientation, be asexual, bisexual, heterosexual, homosexual, pansexual, polysexual, omnisexual, pomosexual, or ceterosexual. It's often shortened to aro.

Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to others, or low or absent interest in or desire for sexual activity. It may be considered a sexual orientation or the lack thereof. It may also be categorized more widely, to include a broad spectrum of asexual sub-identities.

Gray asexuality, grey asexuality, or gray-sexuality is the spectrum between asexuality and sexuality. Individuals who identify with gray asexuality are referred to as being gray-A, gray ace, or grace, and make up what is referred to as the "ace umbrella". Within this spectrum are terms such as demisexual, semisexual, asexual-ish and sexual-ish.

I self-identify as Aro, but others have tried to tell me it is the same as Asexual. 

As far as Marasi is concerned, we only have the WoB I quoted above and know that, though cisgendered female, she has not been identified as asexual. We also do not know if BS knows/accepts/understands a difference between the two. 

Edited by Treamayne

On 5/18/2022 at 4:30 PM, Invocation said:

I'm reasonably confident he does/would, given his understanding of related things.

Agreed. Also, wasn't she shown to have some attraction to Wax in AoL? Wouldn't that imply she's not Aro?

D/R - covered in OP.

Edited by Treamayne
Remove unnecessry point