Scadrian lichen

Stormblessed0421

Question

I was rereading the first book of mistborn and came across something that piqued my interest.

I don’t remember precisely what scene it was in, but Vin mentions skaa workers climbing the Luthadel city walls to scrape off the mist-grown lichen.

The mists are literally pure investiture.

Is it just me, or should there be something a bit different about lichen that lives on gaseous investiture? This might just be a little inconsequential detail, but it made me curious.

4 answers to this question

I doubt there would be much difference, unless/except once that investiture is removed. After all, if you have read Elantris:

Spoiler

The slime in Elantris is very similar and lived off the Dor before the city died; so in Raoden's time everything was covered in slime because it could not longer live without that investiture.

2 hours ago, Stormblessed0421 said:

The mists are literally pure investiture.

Is it just me, or should there be something a bit different about lichen that lives on gaseous investiture? This might just be a little inconsequential detail, but it made me curious.

The lichen doesnt have to feed on Investiture. It could just be normal lichen.

i could be totally wrong but I think the mist isnt just Investiture...i mean, it is... but i think it also has at least has some of the same "properties" of a regular mist.

There is a WoB(i cant find now) and someone asked what happens to the Mist during the day, and Brandon said that the power itself is still there in the day but the mist is burned away by the sun. Which to me implies that the mist isnt just Investiture. It wouldnt get "burned" away by the sun(imo)

Edited by Eternal Khol

4 hours ago, Treamayne said:

I doubt there would be much difference, unless/except once that investiture is removed. After all, if you have read Elantris:

Reveal hidden contents

The slime in Elantris is very similar and lived off the Dor before the city died; so in Raoden's time everything was covered in slime because it could not longer live without that investiture.

Ahhh I forgot about that, thanks for the reminder