Not Brand New, But Still New

Returned

Hi everyone, I just recently joined and am really excited to be able to talk about details of the Cosmere with other fans! I've read every published item in the Cosmere setting save for White Sand (I'm waiting for the compendium). I hope that people here have more patience for my Cosmere talk than those in my everyday life have had...

4 hours ago, Returned said:

Hi everyone, I just recently joined and am really excited to be able to talk about details of the Cosmere with other fans! I've read every published item in the Cosmere setting save for White Sand (I'm waiting for the compendium). I hope that people here have more patience for my Cosmere talk than those in my everyday life have had...

Welcome!

12 hours ago, Returned said:

Welcome welcome to the Sanderson fan refuge

10 hours ago, Morningtide said:

Welcome to the shard! What's your favorite cosmere novel?

The Final Empire. There are a lot of great ones to choose from, but that one has always had the most for me. A close second is The Way of Kings.

27 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Welcome to the shard! who is your least favorite character?

My answer's going to draw some heat, I think, but it's Wayne. He's a fine character in the mix for Mistborn era 2, but he's a type of character that I tend to find grating. When I re-read those books though, I just skip his POV chapters and he's back in my good graces. Also, KanPaar. He's a jerk!

1 minute ago, Returned said:

The Final Empire. There are a lot of great ones to choose from, but that one has always had the most for me. A close second is The Way of Kings.

My answer's going to draw some heat, I think, but it's Wayne. He's a fine character in the mix for Mistborn era 2, but he's a type of character that I tend to find grating. When I re-read those books though, I just skip his POV chapters and he's back in my good graces. Also, KanPaar. He's a jerk!

hmmmmmmmm. really? from what I've heard it's almost everyone's favorite character, but I haven't read it so I can't say... KanPaar sucks though!

2 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

hmmmmmmmm. really? from what I've heard it's almost everyone's favorite character, but I haven't read it so I can't say... KanPaar sucks though!

I completely get why people like him. He's heroic but not overly serious, a heart-of-gold-rogue sort of guy. He's a great partner for and foil to Wax, he's very competent at what he does (and exceptional at some things!). He's clever and pulls off some very cool and interesting things. He's a good counterpoint to the grim, serious turn so many of the series' major characters take.

But I flat-out cannot stand characters who wander around doing random things, like his swapping, and never really have downsides to those behaviors and also just so happen to solve the story's problems along the way. It's debatable how much those things comprise his character on camera (especially in Bands of Mourning, my current favorite of that set). Without his POV chapters he wouldn't even be in my bottom five characters, but with them... well, for my personal tastes they are dead weight to the story and do significant damage to my suspension of disbelief (such as it is in fantasy novels).

He's a little too much of potent spice, throwing off the whole Mistborn dish for me. Others have different palates, and I'm certainly glad he's there to enrich the books for them.

1 minute ago, Returned said:

I completely get why people like him. He's heroic but not overly serious, a heart-of-gold-rogue sort of guy. He's a great partner for and foil to Wax, he's very competent at what he does (and exceptional at some things!). He's clever and pulls off some very cool and interesting things. He's a good counterpoint to the grim, serious turn so many of the series' major characters take.

But I flat-out cannot stand characters who wander around doing random things, like his swapping, and never really have downsides to those behaviors and also just so happen to solve the story's problems along the way. It's debatable how much those things comprise his character on camera (especially in Bands of Mourning, my current favorite of that set). Without his POV chapters he wouldn't even be in my bottom five characters, but with them... well, for my personal tastes they are dead weight to the story and do significant damage to my suspension of disbelief (such as it is in fantasy novels).

He's a little too much of potent spice, throwing off the whole Mistborn dish for me. Others have different palates, and I'm certainly glad he's there to enrich the books for them.

*moash flashback*