Nightblood but bone?

PewterKrogan

Question

Okay I've been thinking about this today but Brandon said that a different metal used to make night blood would have effectively changed how night blood is... So what if you made a sword from bone and invested it with the same number of breaths? Technically the breaths would stick better because bone was once a living thing would that mean they impart more power into the weapon?

10 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, PewterKrogan said:

Well a lifeless is a specific construct made with breath, we've seen both animated squirrels and humans, and Vasher says that any animal preserved well enough can be used. So why can't any material hard enough to be a weapon be used?

You can't make a lifeless out of cloth. Similarly, you can only make an awakened weapon out of inorganic materials. Bone is not inorganic, and would turn into a normal awakened object.

58 minutes ago, PewterKrogan said:

Okay I've been thinking about this today but Brandon said that a different metal used to make night blood would have effectively changed how night blood is... So what if you made a sword from bone and invested it with the same number of breaths? Technically the breaths would stick better because bone was once a living thing would that mean they impart more power into the weapon?

Actually, I think that Breaths are easier to remove from skeletons, since their shape is no longer super close to that of a living organism. I think that you could theoretically create a weapon of Nightblood's caliber if you were to use the right Command fueled with enough Bio-Chromatic Breaths, and that being made out of bone would most likely change it's properties.

asmodeus

If the only variable we change, during the creation of Nightblood, is to use a different Allomantically viable metal (say, iron or bronze instead of steel), but keep everything else constant (the same Breaths, same people doing the same visualization, and whatever other factors were involved), would it have manifested different powers/capabilities?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Most likely.

1 hour ago, PewterKrogan said:

I don't think that nightblood would work made out of bone, at least not using the same creation methods. Type IV invested entities are made out of inorganic materials, and bone is organic, so I doubt that normal type four creation methods (getting a ton of breath and using a command) would work. Maybe you could figure out a way for it to work, but it might be impossible.

20 hours ago, Nameless said:

I don't think that nightblood would work made out of bone, at least not using the same creation methods. Type IV invested entities are made out of inorganic materials, and bone is organic, so I doubt that normal type four creation methods (getting a ton of breath and using a command) would work. Maybe you could figure out a way for it to work, but it might be impossible.

Wouldn't any weapon be able to be made into a version of Nightblood (not the same but similar) as long as the commands are spoken with the proper intent and with enough breath?

6 minutes ago, PewterKrogan said:

Wouldn't any weapon be able to be made into a version of Nightblood (not the same but similar) as long as the commands are spoken with the proper intent and with enough breath?

Can you make a lifeless out of something that isn't a corpse? the materials that you awaken matter.

Well a lifeless is a specific construct made with breath, we've seen both animated squirrels and humans, and Vasher says that any animal preserved well enough can be used. So why can't any material hard enough to be a weapon be used? Not trying to argue just trying to understand the weird extremes of Brandons magic.

Edited by PewterKrogan

Just now, PewterKrogan said:

Well I appreciate you being willing to have the conversation even if we couldn't come up with anything concrete.

Well, that's the way of theories. Sometimes they get WoB'd one-shot, sometimes they survive, and sometimes it's anyone's guess.