Time bubbles and combat.

Tamriel Wolfsbaine

We see pretty well the use of bendalloy in combat to isolate a target.  But I have been curious on others thoughts for use of the bubbles in other ways.  Seeing the reaction of characters when they pass through bubbles seems to be a huge missed opportunity with combat applications.   Even just pulsing a bubble long enough for an opponent to cross into it seems to offer a few seconds of disorientation effects that could be used well to your advantage. 

I don't know if that would be more of an interuption to an enemy than having an attack at your mental by brass or zinc but it definately appears to be pretty distracting either way. 

Edited by Tamriel Wolfsbaine

One thing I've always wondered if why they don't Pulse and Slide at the same time.

Think about it.  Pulsing creates a bubble as large as a room.  Sliding creates a bubble much, much smaller.  A Mistborn, or Marasi and Wayne, burning both metals at once?  Yes, where they overlap, time is normal.  But the Pulse bubble is much larger than the Slide bubble.  That means you will be moving normally, while everyone outside your Slide Bubble will be slowed down.  

A Mistborn using that could cause everyone around him to freeze, but not himself.  Then he just walks up to one, shoves a knife in, breaking the bubble and killing the person at the same time.  Very potent.  it essentially creates a shield around you of slowed time, without slowing you down at the same time.  

Or how about this.  Things traveling through the bubble are refracted, right?  Well, if you've got a bunch of people frozen in front of you, and you're a Mistborn (or Wax), toss a few coins through the barrier at each individual person, but not very hard. Just, you know, a little toss.  But line it up so that each coin is directly between you and each assailant.  

Then push REAL HARD, but only AFTER each coin is on the other side of the barrier.  Drop the bubble as you're pushing, and voila.  You've just shot coins at each bad guy, without fail, at the speed of a bullet.  Yes, the coins are refracted a bit when they pass the barrier, but by using only a LITTLE force to get them through the barrier, and then pushing AFTER they're through the barrier, you would negate that.  You'd have to work quickly, but you could take out an entire room of enemies that way.  

16 hours ago, Tglassy said:

One thing I've always wondered if why they don't Pulse and Slide at the same time.

Think about it.  Pulsing creates a bubble as large as a room.  Sliding creates a bubble much, much smaller.  A Mistborn, or Marasi and Wayne, burning both metals at once?  Yes, where they overlap, time is normal.  But the Pulse bubble is much larger than the Slide bubble.  That means you will be moving normally, while everyone outside your Slide Bubble will be slowed down.  

A Mistborn using that could cause everyone around him to freeze, but not himself.  Then he just walks up to one, shoves a knife in, breaking the bubble and killing the person at the same time.  Very potent.  it essentially creates a shield around you of slowed time, without slowing you down at the same time.  

Or how about this.  Things traveling through the bubble are refracted, right?  Well, if you've got a bunch of people frozen in front of you, and you're a Mistborn (or Wax), toss a few coins through the barrier at each individual person, but not very hard. Just, you know, a little toss.  But line it up so that each coin is directly between you and each assailant.  

Then push REAL HARD, but only AFTER each coin is on the other side of the barrier.  Drop the bubble as you're pushing, and voila.  You've just shot coins at each bad guy, without fail, at the speed of a bullet.  Yes, the coins are refracted a bit when they pass the barrier, but by using only a LITTLE force to get them through the barrier, and then pushing AFTER they're through the barrier, you would negate that.  You'd have to work quickly, but you could take out an entire room of enemies that way.  

I like the way you think.  For such awesome metals I feel like we haven't even touched the tip of what is possible.  I had thought similar things for the radiant vs mistborn argument.  Take your 6 shooter or even better yet a heavy large caliber "kolos round" from a lever gun and unload out of the bubble then reposition yourself to line up each of those shots and slam them with added pushes to absolutely devastate even shardplate.  I can't speak 100% about how tough shardplate is but I can speak for the punch that my 45-70 can pack and that is well within the realm of era 2 tech.  Even looking at era 1 we see coins for use against enemies without armor.  But theoretically you could toss a cannon ball or even a blacksmiths hammer outside of the speed bubble and then position yourself for a massive push.  

Plus to add to your thought (one I have asked myself as well) about overlapping the bubbles you could pulse a whole row of an enemies front lines.  Imagine charging as a group at what appears to be a row of very stationary enemies only to suddenly be smacked with horrible nausea and then collided into by the next row of allies behind you.  A quick pulse of cadmium could be a massive disruption against your enemies and like you said you have this awesome buffer zone where now your handful of coins tossed through the slider bubble can be lined up and further pushed on to further decimate the oncoming army.  Drop both bubbles and retreat back a few paces only to throw both back up for round 2.  

My next question would just be about how a steel push would effect outside of a bubble.  If you shoot a gun from inside the bubble to outside it doesn't lose any of its momentum.  It just alters its course. But how does that interact with a steel push.  Could you push on the object and once it makes its alteration stop pushing then drop the bubble and it continue its course with the same momentum you placed on it seconds before dropping your bubble?   I feel like in my mind I always picture this follow through where you either get tossed or that object goes through your enemy and you stop thinking about its momentum and the backdrop you are shooting at.  I don't actually think that object just falls after you stop pushing.  Even in "flying" there is an arc where you stop pushing and your momentum carries you until either gravity or another push catches up to it.