The new big trade of the Cosmere (Spoilers for Mistborn)

Moltin

After RoW I've been thinking of the uses Anti-Invesiture can have not only in Stormlight, but in the Cosmere as a whole. I started thinking about Scadrial and Ettmetal.

We have a WoB that says that both Atium and Lerasium can be extracted from Ettmetal

Questioner

Can't be split?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I mean, you could find a way, but you're not going to get it through normal, mechanical means.

I'm guessing that those "not normal, mechanical means" are the use of Anti-Investiture. We know that Anti-Investiture repels normal Investiture. So maybe if they can get Ettmetal to a level where it isn't as reactive as it is normally, you could separate Ruin's and Preservation's Investiture aka Atium and Lerasium. What we know about this process is that it can't be done on solid Ettmetal (since they use Raysium to conduct Anti-Voidlight in RoW) so maybe in a liquid state —which is possible since Malatium could be created from Atium— there could be a way to use either Ruin's or Preservation's Anti-Tone to separate their individual Investitures.

If there's a way to create undiluted Mistborn (and possibly Full Feruchemists with an alloy of Lerasium) that could give Scadrial a lot of power and there could possibly be a Lerasium and Atium trade.

Edited by Moltin

If there's a way to have anti-investiture affect Godmetals and are able to separate Ruin and Preservation's Mists for Harmony's then yes, you should be able to create exctract Atium and Lerasium from Ettmetal

34 minutes ago, Moltin said:

If there's a way to create undiluted Mistborn (and possibly Full Feruchemists with an alloy of Lerasium) that could give Scadrial a lot of power and there could possibly be a Lerasium and Atium trade.

This is would probably be even more broken than that (also note that Elend was not at the maximum power a Mistborn can be, bigger quantities of Lerasium make stronger Mistborns)

Stormlightning

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Lerasium overwrites Spiritual DNA. It can do some interesting things, and can overwrite your Spiritual DNA in different ways if you do it right. If a Surgebinder ate lerasium, he would become an Allomancer, but Brandon implied other things could be done.

Alloy of Law 17th Shard Q&A (Nov. 5, 2011)

55 minutes ago, Moltin said:

and possibly Full Feruchemists with an alloy of Lerasium

I can't find the WoB but there indeed is a way to transform someone in a Feruchemist. No idea whether it uses Lerasium though

Also, I found that

BlackYeti

Because you've talked about alloying the god metals with other ones-- I was wondering whether you would be able to melt them down as you would with normal metals.

Brandon Sanderson

If you could distill the god metal: you could distill it out of the mist, that's theoretically possible.

Manchester signing (Aug. 6, 2014)

:mellow:

On 2/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, mathiau said:

I can't find the WoB but there indeed is a way to transform someone in a Feruchemist. No idea whether it uses Lerasium though

Is this the one you were thinking of?

Yoitsthew

Would a Lerasium/Atium alloy create a Feruchemist, rather than an atium misting?? What with the way that it’s an alloy of god metals, and the way that lerasium can be used to acquire other magics? As far as I know there is no lerasium left currently, so this one is also just for my curiosity!!

Brandon Sanderson

You can use the god metals from Scadrial to make a Feruchemist, but I have to RAFO the actual means.

Also, I wonder if separating Ettmetal into Lerasium and Atium is even simpler, what if Intent is the primary factor 

7 minutes ago, StormFather! said:

I don’t know that you would use anti-tones. You might be able to use the actual tones to separate it (if you had it in liquid or gaseous form)

I think the idea was to use the anti-mists to destroy one part of the Ettmetal

I have no idea whether the tones would have any effect on Ettmetal but they would definitely be enough to separate Harmony's Mist into Ruin's and Preservation's Mists, and tehn transform them into atium and lerasium

4 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I have no idea whether the tones would have any effect on Ettmetal but they would definitely be enough to separate Harmony's Mist into Ruin's and Preservation's Mists, and tehn transform them into atium and lerasium

That might not be the case. The Anti-Investiture might not work on mixed Investiture. The Pure Tones have to change to accommodate each other so they are not truly the same as the Tones they were made from. Also we actually don't know if Harmony's Investiture is like Towerlight or Warlight. It might have its on Pure Tone. There is still a lot we don't know unfortunately. 

21 hours ago, mathiau said:

I was thinking more o the anti-tones repelling its equivalent Investiture. So getting Ettmetal in liquid form (gaseous may work too, I guess) and using either Ruin's or Preservation's anti-tone to repel that. For example, using Ruin's anti-tone to repel Ruin's investiture would leave us with Preservation's Investiture, which (through some method) would be returned to solid form, so there you have Lerasium. And you would also have Ruin's Investiture alone to make Atium