Children of Tanavast

ScadrianTank

On 12/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, cozz95 said:

Also in RoW kaladin is referred to as "THE Son of Tanavast" for the first time and the Sibling says he is particularly close to the Surge of Adhesion (which is purely of Honor) and that his power is that of bonds. There must be something there but what exactly I have no idea. 

So would that mean that maybe kaladin possibly has a higher amount of investiture. But how would honor infuse Kaladin if there's nothing conscious driving honors power? 

However would make sense that if you were in possession of a higher amount of investiture from one shard than the other.

I am in line with this theory too, that the Fleet story is more than foreshadowing Kaladin's Book 2 arc but also Kaladin's whole 5 book arc. 

Except my brain keeps thinking he won't become Honor but rather the Wind and send out windspren shardplate like a Rosharan Oprah. 

Now I'm wondering if The Girl Who Looked Up is foreshadowing more than just the Book 3 reveal or Herald stuff. Maybe it's supposed to signify Shallan worldhopping. Looks up and sees the rest of the Cosmere or something. Hmmm.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:16 AM, honorblades said:

I’m not sure I see your connection between the discarded shells and Kaladin. I believe this to be more of flavor text - crustaceans are very normal to Rosharans, their metaphors would reflect that. I wouldn’t look too deep into it. 

However, a connection between Kaladin and Honor... I believe Kaladin is the only one that the Stormfather refers to as a “Child of Tanavast” instead of a “Child of Honor”. Now that could be significant. 

Good call on the shell metaphor.  I have always taken Child of Tanavast to mean Kaladin reminds the Stormfather of Tanavast the Vessel in terms of their personality. It could also be hinting at Kaladin ascending, but I don't think Stormfather thinks of it that way. Stormfather is very pessimistic and thinks humans are unworthy much like The Sibling. He only bonds people because Tanavast ordered him to pre-death. I don't think he seems any humans as worthy of ascending, but the label could be foreshadowing something without Stormfather being aware of future events. 

I REALLY don't want it to be a hereditary thing where Kaladin is a descendent of Tanavast. Tanavast has been dead for at least 2,000. If he had human kids while alive then like 1/5th of Roshar would be distantly related to him by now and Stormfather only referring to Kaladin as that loses any meaning. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

52 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Good call on the shell metaphor.  I have always taken Child of Tanavast to mean Kaladin reminds the Stormfather of Tanavast the Vessel in terms of their personality. It could also be hinting at Kaladin ascending, but I don't think Stormfather thinks of it that way. Stormfather is very pessimistic and thinks humans are unworthy much like The Sibling. He only bonds people because Tanavast ordered him to pre-death. I don't think he seems any humans as worthy of ascending, but the label could be foreshadowing something without Stormfather being aware of future events. 

I REALLY don't want it to be a hereditary thing where Kaladin is a descendent of Tanavast. Tanavast has been dead for at least 2,000. If he had human kids while alive then like 1/5th of Roshar would be distantly related to him by now and Stormfather only referring to Kaladin as that loses any meaning. 

According to WoB Child of Tanavast comment is significant.

I'm still curious about what happens if a Shard is split in half. You are far more than a splinter at that point, but far less than a full shard. Could that be a way to keep the Shard from completely overtaking a persons personality? If Dalinar dies, what happens to the Stormfather? Between the Stormfather, the Honor blades, Honor Spren, and Syl+Kaladin, what amount of the Shard of Honor do you think they make up. If Kaladin being the "child of Tanavast" bears out, then this is backwards. Stormfather = 20%, Honor blades = 5%, Honor Spren =15%, Sly+Kaladin =.05%. A normal Windrunner would be .001%. Not that Kaladin is accessing all of his power as the child of Tanavast yet. I see him as equaling a Herald upon swearing the fifth ideal. I think it would take 10 WIndrunners of the 4th ideal to take on a Herald. Just my thoughts while adding random numbers

On 1/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, Child of Hodor said:

I think I tend to side with you on this: we know the “Child of Tanavast” thing is significant, and people seem to think it implies genetic ancestry to the Vessel, but I am of the opinion (especially with some new context in Rhythm of War) that it instead refers to Kaladin’s disposition. Kaladin is extremely Honorable, very close to Tanavast’s chosen Intent, and this is what the Stormfather is referring to.