Shattered plains marching

Hen

Question

Okay so this has probably been answered somewhere but I honestly have no idea what key words to search for so I figured id just ask here. 

So I’m a little confused on the logistics of battles on the shattered plains. Specifically, how long it takes to march to a plateau. 

During WoK, most plateau battles took a couple hours for the Alethi to get to, the tower (being the farthest they went) would take “several hours” using Sadeas’s bridges. They didn’t go farther then the Tower because it would take to long to reach those plateaus. During WoR, it took weeks to reach the center of the plains (right?). So how to the parshendi get to the contested plateaus so fast? Granted, the Parshendi don’t have to field bridges or horses, making them faster, but still, traveling what would take alethi weeks to span in a matter of “several hours” doesn’t seem possible. So, is it simply because they can jump chasms, or is there something I’m missing? 

Edited by Hentient

4 answers to this question

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
23 hours ago, Hentient said:

Okay so this has probably been answered somewhere but I honestly have no idea what key words to search for so I figured id just ask here. 

So I’m a little confused on the logistics of battles on the shattered plains. Specifically, how long it takes to march to a plateau. 

During WoK, most plateau battles took a couple hours for the Alethi to get to, the tower (being the farthest they went) would take “several hours” using Sadeas’s bridges. They didn’t go farther then the Tower because it would take to long to reach those plateaus. During WoR, it took weeks to reach the center of the plains (right?). So how to the parshendi get to the contested plateaus so fast? Granted, the Parshendi don’t have to field bridges or horses, making them faster, but still, traveling what would take alethi weeks to span in a matter of “several hours” doesn’t seem possible. So, is it simply because they can jump chasms, or is there something I’m missing? 

You have to realize just how slow a army is the Alethi army is like 24+ thousand strong where as generally parshendi and the Alethi's normal armies are 7-8 thousand strong the bigger the army the slower they match and they were marching in the rain all of those factors together makes them march slow

22 hours ago, Brgst13 said:

Also, one of the biggest delays for the Alethi was  ridging the chasms.  This is irrelevant for the Parshendi because they jump the gap instead.

there are not suddenly more bridges to go arround.

still, going from hours to weeks is too much,