Alternate Stormlight Symbol Reveal

Jofwu

Didn't see a forum post for this yet...

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/alternate-stormlight-symbol-reveal/

TLDR:

• New minimalist design for Stormlight logo
  • Created upon request by Tor for something simper for marketing purposes
  • Marketing will make use of both symbols (old one isn't dead)
  • This is a Space Era symbol for Roshar (other space age planetary symbols will come in time)

stormlight-simplifed_v02_dk.jpg

I made an SVG for anyone who may have need of it. Attached below.

Love it? Hate it?

Biggest complaint I've seen is the loss of the numerology of the number 10. It kind of makes me wonder if there's a reason for that, considering the symbol is meant to represent Roshar long after the final book. Probably a long shot, but maybe the number 10 won't be quite so meaningful on Roshar when the series concludes? Or maybe there's no deeper meaning on why. :)

I think my biggest personal complaint is the hilt. Feels kind of blocky and plain.

In general, I'm totally on board with a more minimal logo for some purposes. I can definitely see how it will be useful. And I'm psyched that they came up with an in-world rationalization for it.

Stormlight_Archive_Space.svg

25 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

They only did this because the marketing says the original symbol is too busy/complicated and wanted simpler one.

Having 10 of anything in the “simpler” symbol would probably not work. I wouldn’t read too much into this.

It's not just that. As Brandon mentioned in his update, for a symbol to work, it needs to be recognizable, distinguishable, not too complicated: so that it is easy to recognize from a distance, easy to draw/print/recall. You should look into vexillology articles on how to design flags, emblems or the creation process of the biohazard symbol. A simpler symbol would absolutely be necessary in space era Cosmere

The current fixation on the number 10 seems connected to Honor and/or the Roshar solar system in particular (10 outer gas giants).  A shift from a 10 to an 8 point symbol could suggest either Honor's shard being changed (moved, combined, shattered etc.), or the previous inhabitants of Roshar leaving the planet in yet another mass exodus. It is the Stormlight Archive after all.  

Ten just looks bad, and it can't be justified any longer. I suppose if one wanted to make a case, in Space Roshar times, the number 16 would be known and recognized, so 2 shapes of 4 points making 8 points total might be seen in reference to that, instead. Still, I don't like it very much. Roshar should be 10 for all the tens that have been forced upon us. What's the point of ten books of ten orders based on ten heralds, if you're going to represent it with an eight point star within a circle?

• Chaos locked this topic