Pai and Zahel - Foreshadowing

So in the interlude "Lahn", we are introduced to a certain young ardent named Pai, who certainly seems to be the main point of the interlude - Pai and the changes she brings.

At another point in the book, we are shown an ardent named Zahel. Some of us know his true identity. Spoilers abound for those who don't! Now, someone said in a thread something about Zahel ending up in prison, as he did in Warbreaker, although it was mentioned in passing. Then they mentioned that wouldn't happen because he was an ardent.

Well, I thought about that for a bit. And then I remembered Pai. So yes, he may be an ardent, but I'm certain that we'll be seeing a lot of changes to the Ardentia now, and perhaps a certain ardent will end up in jail. And then say to Kaladin, who was bringing him to the jail, "Why am I so often in jail?" Which will lead to a very interesting conversation. . .

I'd like to see this not only because it would make sense in terms of the story, but it would provide a nice chuckle factor for those who follow such things.  Then he could free himself from prison with....well, let's call it a "freedomspren".

It's interesting to note the name she chose when joining the Ardentia, resembels Pailiah's. Hers and Ishi's icons are in the beginning of the chapter. If she wasn't executed , I'd have speculated we might have seen one of the Heralds.

Very good observation, Aleksiel. Even though she was executed, I bet there's more to this. I will make sure to file that bit away. Could Pai have been a Truthwatcher? She certainly believed she saw the truth. A little far-fetched, but her name could have been a hint on Brandon's part.

Very good observation, Aleksiel. Even though she was executed, I bet there's more to this. I will make sure to file that bit away. Could Pai have been a Truthwatcher? She certainly believed she saw the truth. A little far-fetched, but her name could have been a hint on Brandon's part.

Possible. Renarin wrote with little or no control over his own actions, may be something of the sort happened to Pai when she wrote all the ways the queen resembled the ten fools. 

Not to dismiss your thoughts, but I felt that the Pai's portion was mainly to show the deterioration of Alethkar while everyone is away. In fact correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the first and only time we see what is going on in the kingdom back at "home"?

edit: just after I hit enter I recalled the scenes where Kal and Dalinar have visions, but I do not believe we ever have an actual scene of people back at Alethkar till Pai

Edited by P4thf1nd3r

Possible. Renarin wrote with little or no control over his own actions, may be something of the sort happened to Pai when she wrote all the ways the queen resembled the ten fools. 

Given the way her character was set, she seemed to be doing it very deliberately.

Also, why would zahel be imprisoned? i don't remember him doing anything wrong.

Still, he would not be thrown in prison. at most he would choose to stay into one. really, locking him in prison is quite stupid. you have the same chances of holding him that you would have if you left the door open and asked him to please not run away.

It's not that Zahel is doing anything wrong NOW. It's that, if there's a shift in the Ardentia, any behavior he has now might be considered a prisonable offense. I know that's a bit speculative, but he does have a history of winding up in jail.

• Chaos locked this topic