The Purpose of Roshar

Karger

According to Brandon the entire system of Roshar was created by Adonalsium for a specific purpose and that the entire investiture ecologyof the plannet is in line with this.

My theory is that the system was created as a recycling center for bits of investiture that Adonalsium did not know what to do with.  In line with this

• The singers were created to form these bits of investiture into spren.  Concepts that can learn adapt and understand.  They would also be in charge of judging these spren to determine how they could be used and imprisoning the dangerous or maladjusted ones(More on this latter).  Their physiology also made them dependent on these spren so that they would pay attention to and respect spren.
  • The highstorms were created to provide power so that these bits could adapt and grow stronger physically.  Spren also might need them for sustenance.  The amount of free investiture might also be tempting for any rogue piece of investiture(If part of Adonalsium broke off it might become sentient and start working against him).  The amount of power in the highstorm would lure these pieces to Roshar where they could be safely imprisoned or rehabilitated.
  • The Nightwatcher was created to preform alterations to these spren.  My current theory on how she works is that she takes off a bit of your soul and also gives you a different bit back.  If this is true she could remove harmful pieces of spren and give them different pieces back.  Perhaps in her earlier version she was more like a spren bits exchange where groups of spren would approach her about exchanging pieces of themselves so that they could find a better fit.
  • Finally their are the greatshells.  The greatshells have perhaps the simplest purpose they produce gemhearts.  These gemhearts are necessary to their survival (so they can't be lost easily due to evolution) and perfect for capturing spren.  It is all together possible that Roshar would attract nasty customers or spren of types the singers would have difficulty dealing with.  Instead of killing them the singers could imprison them in spren in either as punishment or to prevent them from actively threatening singer lives.  They could then transport them to the protoNighwatcher who could take out a few pieces of them making them more manageable.
  • Finally the I believe the protoStormfather guarded the original perpendicularity.  If this was a recycling center then once recycled the spren might need a way off Roshar so that they could fulfill their purposes elsewhere.  A being with the ability to reason and the power to bond things could judge the spren and if unsatisfied could bind them back to Roshar(for any length of time).

Alright that is my theory.  Anyone see an obvious flaw in it?  Anyone have obviously better theories?  Comment down below.

It's a lot different from my theory about Roshar but also slightly more detailed than my own, which boils down to "Adonalsium saw his own death and the Oathgates can re-merge Shards under proper circumstances" that's pretty much just full-on tinfoil hat.

24 minutes ago, Invocation said:

It's a lot different from my theory about Roshar but also slightly more detailed than my own, which boils down to "Adonalsium saw his own death and the Oathgates can re-merge Shards under proper circumstances" that's pretty much just full-on tinfoil hat.

So do you see any flaws in it?  Anything that is obviously ridiculous?

47 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

IMO, if Adonalsium designed Roshar for a purpose, it was to kill Rayse. After Rayse had fulfilled his purpose of course.

Unless he didn't see Rayse coming.

After all, future sight interferes with future sight.

11 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

Unless he didn't see Rayse coming.

After all, future sight interferes with future sight.

Maybe. Seems pretty unlikely though, that Adonalsium didn't posses the ability to see into the future. The Shards are just fragments of him, and they can see thousands of years ahead.

2 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

IMO, if Adonalsium designed Roshar for a purpose, it was to kill Rayse. After Rayse had fulfilled his purpose of course.

On a more serious note how does Rosharan ecology fit into this and why can't he do what he wants Rayse to do himself and what has Rasye done other then kill a few other shards?

6 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

What wasn't serious about my post?

Oh, I thought you were joking my bad.  Its just that it is presaged on the belief that Adonalsium foresaw the shattering and wanted it to happen a theory I cannot yet take seriously.  Still their is not reason it cannot be true so...

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Oh, I thought you were joking my bad.  Its just that it is presaged on the belief that Adonalsium foresaw the shattering and wanted it to happen a theory I cannot yet take seriously.  Still their is not reason it cannot be true so... 

Considering what Adonalsium was... I don't see a viable alternative. 

Whether Adonalsium was alien enough that the concept of death did not mean what it does to us, actually foresaw some path that aligned with its goals, was so aloof and uncaring that it's own well being wasn't a consideration, or some other mindset... Adonalsium should have been able to simply alter reality how it chose and ended any threat to it. It was the power of all of the Shards combined. 

13 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Whether Adonalsium was alien enough that the concept of death did not mean what it does to us, actually foresaw some path that aligned with its goals, was so aloof and uncaring that it's own well being wasn't a consideration, or some other mindset... Adonalsium should have been able to simply alter reality how it chose and ended any threat to it. It was the power of all of the Shards combined. 

We are of course assuming that Adonalsium was a being as apposed to something like a force.  He could for example have just been carrying out instructions or acting via instinct.  If he was a being then I am going under the assumption that as a being he was fallible.  I could be wrong of course but this is kind of a moot point at the moment. 

Also please do not derail the thread(not a message to you specifically just a reminder not to get to far off track).

1 minute ago, Karger said:

We are of course assuming that Adonalsium was a being as apposed to something like a force.  He could for example have just been carrying out instructions or acting via instinct.  If he was a being then I am going under the assumption that as a being he was fallible.  I could be wrong of course but this is kind of a moot point at the moment. 

I absolutely think Adonalsium was a being, and fallible, and I also think it is very very relevant to your thread. 

First, we know that it was a being because "he" was killed and that is what caused the Shattering. 

As a fallible being, Roshar's "purpose" could be grand, it could be integral to the function of the Cosmere... Or it could be simple self indulgence and/or entertainment. 

At this point, I don't think we have nearly enough information and Roshar, Adonalsium, or the underlying mechanics of the Cosmere as a whole to begin trying to understand Roshar's purpose let alone explain it. 

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

At this point, I don't think we have nearly enough information and Roshar, Adonalsium, or the underlying mechanics of the Cosmere as a whole to begin trying to understand Roshar's purpose let alone explain it. 

Fair points above.  Knowing about a designer can often tell us much about a system I just do not want this to become and Adonalsium theory thread.  However I do not think that your statement is necessarily true.  Humans figured out the system and importance of ecology long before we discovered the evolutionary process that created it.  We do understand much about our universe and yet I for one know of know sane human who claims to fully understand God.  We are like the modern Radiants exploring Urithiru.  They know to some extent the Tower's capabilities and from those they were able to speculate (perhaps accurately) as to its function.  We may never fully understand Adonalsium but that does not mean that we cannot know(to some extent) "his" purpose in designing Roshar.

16 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Or it could be simple self indulgence and/or entertainment. 

Don't the multiple WoBs about Roshar's purpose indicate otherwise?

It certainly could have a greater purpose, but considering Adonalsium was the forces of Creation, Creation alone is a perfectly good reason for Roshar to exist. 

That said, I suspect he understood far more about the future even than the existing Shards. Did he have a plan? Does he still? 

• Chaos locked this topic