Shardblade Wounds

Yellow Cremling

First, does a Shardblade cut sever the whole limb or the limb below a certain point? More interestingly, if it severs the whole limb, how does it decide where the limb stops? There is very little physical difference between limb and torso and certainly not a clear-cut line. I believe it could be down to the cognitive distinction, as most things spren-related are. Humans, animals, everything perceives some parts of their bodies as separate from others (at least in Roshar). When you cut a limb, the severing stops where the human identifies their limb as stopping. Could this then be applied lower - could a finger be severed, as it is separate from the hand? Could an ear, or a nose? Of course, the whole point is moot if a Shardblade severs the limb just beyond where it cuts, but I haven't read close enough to determine this. But just imagine the surgical applications. . . .

Whatever it cuts through the core of, severing it from the lifeflow of the rest of the body, it kills. Could it kill a single finger? Yeah. Is that likely to happen? Nope. As to where the limb stops, it's probably a combination of where it joins with something else and thus is something else, helped along by Cognitive impressions. At least those are my understandings of those functions, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I was only wondering because the limb is still attached to a living body, so I wasn't sure if that made a difference.

I'm pretty sure it works the same as anything else, because Cognitively, it is separate and dead already. I can see the confusion (I was the confusion a while ago).

• Chaos locked this topic